[REQ] Delete/edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. How delete a genre completely [#19801 #19886]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

1001Musik

[REQ] Delete/edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. How delete a genre completely [#19801 #19886]

Post by 1001Musik »

Delete / edit genres
Genres can be edited/replaced per song. But how can you delete a genre completely?
As an example I have a genre in MM5 where instead of a ; only a , was entered as a separator. So I have e.g. a genre with pop, sync pop instead of separate pop; sync pop

There are also genres that I don't need and would like to delete. They should then be deleted from the songs.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Claus_A.

Re: Delete / edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. But how can you delete a genre completely? As an exampl

Post by Claus_A. »

Hi,
here is what I did: I selected all songs containing the genre. I deleted / replaced the genre from all the songs. And then I rescanned the archive (Insert-key), Tadaa: genre is gone.
Hope it helps.
C.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Delete / edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. But how can you delete a genre completely? As an exampl

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi 1001Musik,

By selecting multiple items.

For example, in the LHS view choose Entire Library / Genres / Hip-Hop.

1). Using Centre List display
In the list view, select ALL track e.g. using Ctrl+A. Right-click (if only single genre) to get properties up. If single Genre, then the display will only show text in fields that are common to all. Then - for example - change "Hip-Hop" to "Hip Hop".

This does not work if some track have multiple Genres. In this case sort by the Genre column and edit blocks at a time.

2). Using the Node
This time select the node "Hip-Hop" and using Rename e.g. F2.

If you have the list display, you are likely to see the edit cascade thru the list.

3). Using the Node to "separate" Genres
Select - for example - Pop, Rock and then use either of the above to correct to Pop; Rock

You may not see the nodes update immediately! I tend to collapse the node and then re-expand.

Refer to Tools / Options / Library / Field to ensure the "Split multiple-value fields with" is set to a semi-colon.

4). Use the Add-On Split Multi-Value Fields

Probably more than you asked for but I hope the additional bit will help!
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you delete a Genre from the Genre node in the Media Tree it will be removed.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

In the archive tree I find the item "Genre". But how should it help me to delete one or more genres? Especially since the genre is still stored in the song.

All songs have several genres for me

WiFi Syncing

Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hallo Jochen,
Drücke auf den Knoten "Genres"
Als Unterknoten siehst Du jetzt die einzelnen Genres aufgelistet - drücke auf ein Unter-Genre

1. Befinden sich KEINE Songs in der Detail-Ansicht, kannst Du den Untergenre löschen.
Rechte Maustaste auf das Untergenre im Genre-Knoten ... ausschneiden
Untergenre ist NOCH sichtbar, jedoch schon weg (kann nicht aktualisiert werden - erst nach Neustart von MM5).
2a. Befinden SICH NOCH Songs in der Detail-Ansicht - NICHT LÖSCHEN, ansonsten findest Du die Songs im Papierkorb wieder.
2b. Du änderst bei den ensprechenden Songs das Genre.

Google-Übersetzung:
Hello Jochen,
Click on the "Genres" node
You will now see the individual genres listed as sub-nodes - press on a sub-genre
1. If there are NO songs in the detail view, you can delete the subgenre.
Right click on the subgenre in the genre node...cut
Subgenre is STILL visible, but already gone (cannot be updated - only after restarting MM5).
2a. If there are still songs in the detail view - DO NOT DELETE, otherwise you will find the songs in the recycle bin.
2b. You change the genre for the corresponding songs.

ÜBRIGENS: für MM4 gibt es dazu ein Addon: CustomFieldsTagger 1.0.3.) https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ldstagger/
Forum dazu: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58583
Tja, auch dieses Script auf MM5 zu portieren, finden die Entwickler nicht für wichtig, ebenso wie den PlaylistManager.
Diese beiden Scripts sind für mich fundamental, deshalb bleibe ich bei MM4.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Now I found out why I didn't see any genres. Only by activating "Show all subnodes" did the list open.

If I click on a genre, songs are in the list. You write that I shouldn't delete the genre then. How can I then remove a genre and also delete it from the songs?

Google Übersetzung:
Jetzt habe ich herausgefunden, weshalb bei mir keine Genres angezeigt wurden. Erst durch Aktivieren von "Alle Unterknoten anzeigen" tat sich sterben Liste auf.

Klicke ich auf ein Genre, befinde sich Lieder in der Liste. Du schreibst, dass ich dann das Genre nicht löschen soll. Wie kann ich dann ein Genre entfernen und auch aus den Liedern löschen?
WiFi Syncing

Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Alle Genres aus den Songs löschen: markiere entsprechende Songs - Eigenschaften ... Tag Genre: Inhalt entfernen.
Einzelne Genres aus Multigenres entfernen ist mühsame Handarbeit über Eigenschaften jeden Songs.
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately the ability to remove a genre value from the Genre node is no longer available. I've opened an issue for this as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19801

That means that unfortunately you'll need to manually remove it from files. This can only be done on a multi-selection if all other genre values match for all files in the multi-select.

Tree refresh added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19886
1001Musik

Re: [REQ] Delete / edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. But how can you delete a genre completely? [#1980

Post by 1001Musik »

Thanks Lowlander for your help.

Unfortunately, manual intervention in the genres doesn't help me. I will have to wait until there is a solution.
But I think it's taking way too long. That's when I noticed my other problems that I have with MM5.

I didn't even get an answer to my errors with the synchronization with Spotify. And that's just one example of my requests.
WiFi Syncing

Ludek

Re: [REQ] Delete / edit genres Genres can be edited/replaced per song. But how can you delete a genre completely? [#1980

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Genre value can be removed (based on my tests):

Tested this way:
1) For 3 files already in library I renamed genre value to
GenreA; GenreB
GenreC; GenreB
GenreD; GenreB
for all three files via Properties dialog.
2) Gone to Media Tree > Music > Genres > Genre3
3) Pressed F2 to rename the Genre3 and renamed it to empty string
=> the Genre3 node disappeared as expected and was also removed from the files (as expected)
so the files now correctly have values:
GenreA
GenreC
GenreD
I didn't even get an answer to my errors with the synchronization with Spotify. And that's just one example of my requests.
Can you link a report / ticket re the Spotify issue? I would love to look into this.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Thanks for the feedback.

Renaming the genre works with F2. But I didn't find a function to delete a genre at first.
I then simply pressed F2 and then the Delete key. After that, the songs are no longer visible and the genre is now called "Unknown". Only after restarting MM5 are the various deleted genres with "Unknown" gone.

There should be a more understandable way here.
WiFi Syncing