Album art doesn't show up [#19690]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

hintergrundrauschen

Re: Album art doesn't show up

Post by hintergrundrauschen »

I still have the same problem (reported above in this thread), artwork doesn't reappear even with newest beta and "rescan".

BTW, I have "copy artwork to file tags" enabled in MM5 sync settings, as I have artwork mostly as separate files on my NAS/PC.

Maybe you could add some developer option "re-scan artwork" in the next beta. :-?
Claude
rusty

Re: Album art doesn't show up [#19690]

Post by rusty »

Thanks--it's still on our to-do list.

-Rusty
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

Yeah so this still isn't fixed. I deleted all the music on my phone, updated to the latest beta*, re-sync'd my ~10k song library, and it's far worse than it was before the sync. Log ID: 5HM31WWQYT

*2.0.0.1073 MMA, 5.0.4.2690 MMW

E: So I did some digging. I checked a few of the albums that had art phone-side in MMW, and they all had blank 'Folder.jpg' and 'AlbumArtSmall.jpg' in the artwork tab in MMW. Screenshot. When I lookup the file that is pointed to in Windows Explorer, there's not actually a file present. I have image location set to 'Save image to tag (if possible) otherwise save to folder'. I have Windows set to show both hidden and system files. My library is all MP3, so ostensibly it shouldn't be saving any artwork anywhere but the tags, but it's apparently trying to for some reason. Deleting these phantom artwork files in MMW and re-syncing seems to resolve the issue, at least for the tests I've done so far.

E2: The files are also not located in the MMW temp folder, which I moved, but was originally at C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\temp

E3: I think I fixed it. I set 'Scan file directories for Artwork' to unchecked. Rescan didn't change anything. I tried rebuilding the database, but of course, that didn't help either. So, I backed up and deleted the database, and separately backed up the sync settings for my phone before that. I rescanned my library in MMW, and the phantom album art files are now gone. Problem is, MMW now wants to duplicate my entire library on my phone, because apparently the (IMO) most important information to save in a sync profile, the files that are actually on the device and where their corresponding parent files are on the computer's hard disk, aren't saved inside the sync profile, but in MMW's database, instead. I deleted and re-added a few test albums, and it worked perfectly. I'll delete/re-add my entire library again tomorrow, when I have more time, and report back if it I run into any new snags.

Conclusions/suggestions:

MMW album art handling needs overhauled. If 'Scan file directories for Artwork' is checked, when scanning, if no art exists in a folder, it should just do nothing, rather than adding placeholder images. If 'Save image to tag...' is checked in options, then ONLY the tagged image should be what is sent during a sync. The sync profile needs to preserve the list of what's on the child device in such a way that duplicating the entire library is no longer the default.

E4: I did it. Every single album sync'd without issue. Sleep is for the weak
gordol

Post by gordol »

Zoroasterisk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 amProblem is, MMW now wants to duplicate my entire library on my phone, because apparently the (IMO) most important information to save in a sync profile, the files that are actually on the device and where their corresponding parent files are on the computer's hard disk, aren't saved inside the sync profile, but in MMW's database, instead.
This is a long-standing thing going back to MMW4 (at least) and MMA1. Every time I change phones with MMA or PC with MMW, I have to do three syncs with MM: First sync to make sure things are in sync. Second sync to remove the library from the phone (uncheck all items in the sync profile with "delete unselected"), and third sync after the hardware swap to restore library to the new phone.

Third one pretty much has to be done overnight because it takes so long with libraries as large as ours (mine's 19.7k tracks / ~95GB).
TheEmpathicEar

Re: Album art doesn't show up

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

hintergrundrauschen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 pm I still have the same problem (reported above in this thread), artwork doesn't reappear even with newest beta and "rescan".

BTW, I have "copy artwork to file tags" enabled in MM5 sync settings, as I have artwork mostly as separate files on my NAS/PC.

Maybe you could add some developer option "re-scan artwork" in the next beta. :-?
I have been using "Copy artwork to file tags" (or whatever it is). It's been working quite well for me.
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

gordol wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:45 am
Zoroasterisk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 amProblem is, MMW now wants to duplicate my entire library on my phone, because apparently the (IMO) most important information to save in a sync profile, the files that are actually on the device and where their corresponding parent files are on the computer's hard disk, aren't saved inside the sync profile, but in MMW's database, instead.
This is a long-standing thing going back to MMW4 (at least) and MMA1. Every time I change phones with MMA or PC with MMW, I have to do three syncs with MM: First sync to make sure things are in sync. Second sync to remove the library from the phone (uncheck all items in the sync profile with "delete unselected"), and third sync after the hardware swap to restore library to the new phone.

Third one pretty much has to be done overnight because it takes so long with libraries as large as ours (mine's 19.7k tracks / ~95GB).
Yeah, this is by far my biggest gripe with MM. 70ish GB, and like I said just shy of 10k songs. My gold key receipt is from 2015. In that time, I've sat through a bunch of total resyncs, like I describe above, almost always because the new database doesn't recognize that the songs are already on-device. It would be kickin' rad if the sync profile was where the info that determines what's known to be on the device was stored, to avoid this issue.
gordol

Post by gordol »

MMA 2.0.0.1074 and MMW 5.0.4.2690, newly added albums still do not sync the album art to MMA until I edit the properties of the art in MMW.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks. Additional fixes to this are coming in the next beta.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, beta build 1076 fixes a couple more cases in which this can occur:

Note: if you've previously uninstalled MMA, it can happen that the artwork is located in a directory that MediaMonkey doesn't have included in the library. For this case, such artwork directories are newly listed in the "Library folders" section and must be manually added to the library (for now).

Please let us know if it solves the issue for you. Thanks!

-Rusty
hintergrundrauschen

Still missing my album art.

Seriously, it's been three months. THREE MONTHS for making sure the android app reads music files correctly, as supposed.

This is not right. It is very frustrating.
Claude
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Can you please go to "Library Folders" e.g. via the Left navigation panel/Add folder and check whether there are detected missing Artwork folders like in the screenshot?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ykSJ8hPf1jNj3H56

You can add such folders to the library OR you can remove such missing links (remove icon with a cross). If you remove such links, then artworks should be re-scanned if available in tag.
hintergrundrauschen

Hi Martin,
thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have the album art stored both in tags and as a file in the album folders during synchronization. Your suggestions lead to a rescan of the music files and folders, but unfortunately the artwork was still missing in MMA.
Playing a song and afterwards syncing to MMW5 updates the metadata and then the artwork is shown but only for this particular song...

I now took the step to batch update metadata in 1600 songs in MMW5 (some irrelevant addition to a tag) and thus forcing to resync all 1600 files to my phone.
I just hope this was a one time thing...
Claude