ID tag versions MP3tag vs MM

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

svillardi

ID tag versions MP3tag vs MM

Post by svillardi »

Hello. I was trying to do a find and replace lead characters and one of the forum posts suggested MP3tag, which I installed and successfully removed those characters. But in that program, it did not recognize the version of ID tags and it did not recognize several fields.

I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me. Is there something I need to do in MM5 to make sure my tags are universal?
IanRTaylorUK

Re: ID tag versions MP3tag vs MM

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Make sure that you rescan your files after using an external program to edit tags.
Ian Taylor
svillardi

Post by svillardi »

Oh, I did! But I'm still wondering why tags would show up in MM, but not MP3tag.
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

That's the other direction.
To write the infos from the MM5 database to the tags, you can use Ctrl + S, or rightclick: Edit Tags>Update tags.
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What MediaMonkey writes is described here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... erties/5.0
svillardi

Post by svillardi »

Should MM5 and MP3tag show the same tags without me doing anything? Or, do I have to do something with MM5? When do I "update tags". I was under the impression that once I changed the tag in any of the fields, the tags would be immediately updated.

Please explain what I should be doing and why. thank you!!
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I must say, I also thought that edits or autotags would be automatically written to both Database and the Embedded tags.

I know sometimes artwork does not get embedded, and it shows in the image displayed in properties if it is or not.

I would also like to know when or why other tags would not be???
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
svillardi

Post by svillardi »

Well, the situation came up again. MM5 showed album, artist, album artist, title, track, etc. MP3tag did not.

For giggles, I ran the "update tags" function, and then rescanned in MP3tag. Know what? They all showed up.

:roll: :o
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned the default setting is that tag changes in MediaMonkey are saved to the file: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings

Any changes outside of MediaMonkey require rescanning of files in MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... he_Library