Default sort order for LIST

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Panchdara

Default sort order for LIST

Post by Panchdara »

Hi. I like the LIST view when using MM. (Just like MM4)

I accidentally clicked on a column header and it sorted by that column.... ok I understand).

I like to have my listing by Artist/Album/Track#... is there a easy wat to keep this as a default and revert easily if the sort is changed (accidentally in my case)??

Thanks
Rob_S

Re: Default sort order for LIST

Post by Rob_S »

I was going to suggest saving a custom view with your desired sort order, and then reloading that as needed.

However, I just tried to edit the sort order in my favorite list, and it would no stick, so I am not sure now if this is working as it should.

Can somebody else try that and see if it works for them?

Under "Manage views" edit your saved views, change the sort order using a multi-level sort, OK, and OK, and then see if it take effect.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Last sort is used. So if a different sort is applied, it will continue to be used. This is by design.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So even if I have saved my custom view with a specific multi-field sort sort order, when I reload my custom view, by design, it reverts to the last used sort order?

In that case, what is the purpose of being able to define a sort order for a custom view?? What am I missing here?

I think this should be seen as a bug. Or one should have the option to prioritize the sort order of the custom view to override existing????

Or a separate option to save a custom sort.....
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Changing sort modifies the setting. You can either do this in the View setting or directly in the Filelisting.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, if that is how it is meant to work, would you consider a feature request for option to lock the selected sort order for a custom view?

I think it would be very useful to be able to re-open my view and always have it appear in the same sort order, no matter what I did once in that view the last time.

Particularly since I might want to use that view in different nodes just to have the column configuration but sometimes with different sort orders.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Panchdara wrote: ↑Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:26 am I accidentally clicked on a column header and it sorted by that column.... ok I understand).
I like to have my listing by Artist/Album/Track#... is there a easy wat to keep this as a default and revert easily if the sort is changed (accidentally in my case)??
Hi Panchdara,
as discussed above there is no way to lock the specification for a view, which is a pain.
But it is relatively easy to get back to your Artist/Album/Track# sort preference.
Maybe you already understand the following, but I used MM for many years before someone described the following to me.
You can easing set up a multi-tag sort sequence by using control clicks on the secondary column headers
To achieve your sequence you would:
  • click the Artist column header
  • and then ctrl+click the Album and then Track # column headings.
Rob_S wrote: ↑Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:16 am OK, if that is how it is meant to work, would you consider a feature request for option to lock the selected sort order for a custom view?
I think it would be very useful to be able to re-open my view and always have it appear in the same sort order, no matter what I did once in that view the last time.
Particularly since I might want to use that view in different nodes just to have the column configuration but sometimes with different sort orders.
Regardless of what LowLander said, I seriously doubt that it was "designed" to work as it does.
My guess is that it was designed better, but they run out of time to complete whatever was designed.
I remember the pre-release beta. There was something that seemed to allow management of Custom Views, including where they should be offered. It wasn't coming together well, and got pulled before release.

Hopefully enhancement is in the plan for release 5.1

My view is that a View, that is created by Manage Views facility, should only be changeable by the Manage Views facility.
ie. you could use a View, and make running changes to sort sequence, or columns displayed or whatever, but those changes were temporary, and NOT saved to the View definition. The next time that you switched that View, it should be re-initialised to whatever you last set using the Manage View facility.
It would also be useful if the Manage View facility had an option to persist the current (temporary) View setup by overwriting the existing specification
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Anyone DISagree with the above suggestions? Either way is fine for me

1) Persistent sort order in custom view with option to update from current view ie save current config over previous.

2) Changeable custom view as exists now, with option to LOCK the associated sort order, and/or all other aspects of the view.
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Barry4679 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:10 am My view is that a View, that is created by Manage Views facility, should only be changeable by the Manage Views facility.
ie. you could use a View, and make running changes to sort sequence, or columns displayed or whatever, but those changes were temporary, and NOT saved to the View definition. The next time that you switched that View, it should be re-initialised to whatever you last set using the Manage View facility.
It would also be useful if the Manage View facility had an option to persist the current (temporary) View setup by overwriting the existing specification
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,