Volume Control Logarithmic

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lofty

Volume Control Logarithmic

Post by Lofty »

Hi,

I created a new Topic for the wish of an Logarithmic Volume Control. I would like to see this implemented. There have been some (very old) topics about it already, but it looks like none of them is active anymore.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ogarithmic
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 43#p172089

In this old thread i found what i want. There was a logarithmic volume control,
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p204534
but my Direct Sound Plugin is "out_MMDS.dll" not "out_ds.dll", so i looked at the addon page, but didn't found it.

So, where is the problem preventing me/us to use logarithmic volume control? :wink:

G
Lofty
MadDan

Re: Volume Control Logarithmic

Post by MadDan »

Please, please, please add a logarithmic volume control. It is nearly impossible for me to moderate lower volumes. It is either too loud or it is off. I often have to turn on the preamp on my DAC because I cannot get volume to a low enough level. That lowers sound quality and seems pointless when volume can be well controlled through software.

For what it's worth, J. River Media Center and XBMC both use beautifully implemented logarithmic volume. Except for the lack of good volume control I prefer MediaMonkey to all other players. Please add logarithmic volume to version 4!
tadcook

Post by tadcook »

Excuse my possible ignorance on this issue, but isn't the volume control already logarithmic?

I haven't made any measurements, but I assume if it were linear that the output in mv. would change in direct proportion to the position of the volume control, which I assume is that vertical slider marked Volume Bar on the lower right side of the UI. This would sound mighty funny to the human ear.

If it is linear in terms of db, meaning that movement a certain distance produces the same db change at any point along the slider, then it is already logarithmic, because db (which always expresses a ratio, not some fixed value like watts or volts) can be defined as 20log mv2/mv1. In other words, you take the log of the ratio of the two levels in volts or millivolts, and multiply times 20. For comparing watts, it is the same operation times 10.

The range of travel of the slider control is short, making it difficult to verify this by measurement.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

tadcook wrote:If it is linear in terms of db, meaning that movement a certain distance produces the same db change at any point along the slider, then it is already logarithmic, (...)
I Think you're right.
tadcook wrote:The range of travel of the slider control is short, making it difficult to verify this by measurement.
Try it with a different skin, ex. Helium MiniPlayer volume slider can be expanded to screen width : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=41695

:~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Eyal wrote:
tadcook wrote:If it is linear in terms of db, meaning that movement a certain distance produces the same db change at any point along the slider, then it is already logarithmic, (...)
I Think you're right.
+1

I think it's better as it is right now.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
MZmuda

Option to have a Logarithmic Volume Slider

Post by MZmuda »

I've noticed that the volume slider is EXTREMELY sensitive as I go from volume 0% to volume 1% to volume 2%, but seemingly less sensitive as I go from volume 40% to 60% to 80% to 100%.

To that end, could you give users an option to have the master volume calculations be done on a logarithmic scale instead of linearly?

(Yes, I know this is a geeky request, but I'm making it all the same.)

Thanks -

- Z
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
monekybiznes

Post by monekybiznes »

Was this ever fixed? I use 2% volume because 3% and above is insane high volume,