'My Computer' Collection - Available in 4, Missing in 5?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ITgreybeard

'My Computer' Collection - Available in 4, Missing in 5?

Post by ITgreybeard »

When adding albums into MM4, I could open 'My Computer' to a folder, and the 'All' tracks collection included every audio file in that folder and subfolders. This made it easy to see and change such things as Disc #, Album Artist and Genre across a set of ripped albums.

Is this feature missing in MM5? I see it not. And there is no 'All' collection within 'Folders', as far as I can determine. :o
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
Peke

Re: 'My Computer' Collection - Available in 4, Missing in 5?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is still there in MM5 but you need to enable it with icon on top right side of folder browser.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My Computer is named Folders in MediaMonkey 5.
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Ah. I see it now, but I also see why I didn't see it..

For however many folders one has at the next level down, each (in this case) corresponding to an Album-Artist, one has to scroll past the entire list [mine is >1000 folders] before seeing, or even knowing about, the list of audio files. So all those files are hidden unless and until I scroll multiple pages down, in order to see them. At ~1000/~25, that's 40 pages worth of scrolling.

My years of human-computer interface design influences my thinking of that to be obscure and inefficient.

What am I missing? Is there a 'jump' key?

Regards. ITG
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folders shows all content on your PC, so this would depend on how you structured folders on your PC. The Location sub-node in a Collection provides same folder based browsing, but only of folders/files scanned into the Library.

Note that you can browser by Album Artist in the Library too, you can Search or Type to Jump to a value in the Media Tree.
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Your points are well taken, and I very much appreciate the time and knowledge you are applying to answer my question(s). What I am doing, however, is to browse to what can be a large number of audio files in various albums by a number of album artists, that I wish to add to the database. So they are not yet part of the library. They have come to the computer via iTunes or Overdrive or some other source, such as tracks from cassette tapes (!).

How I have been handling this so far is to auto-organize or convert these files into an MM5-compatible library folder structure with MM4. Then I can simply scan that folder structure with MM5 so that MM5 populates its own database in the simplest manner possible.

I will try out doing this organization and cataloging with MM5 only. If you think it worthwhile, I can post my results. And if you have any further suggestions, I will gladly accept and try them out.

Many thanks. ITG