music moved by itself? *Solved*

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

AlanH

music moved by itself? *Solved*

Post by AlanH »

Hi, im wondering if anyone has ever known music to move by itself. i know it sounds odd but hear me out.

i still use MM4 for my library but use MM5 for its tagging features.

all my music is on a SSD with main folder structure Music/ A/ ABBA/ Album etc

i also have a seperate folder structure for flac files and assorted duplicate albums Music xtra/ a/artist/album

a couple of days ago i noticed that i had lots of albums missing from my folder structure for my main music folder. my initial reaction was one of panic as about 60gb had dissapeared but upon investigatation the missing albums had been moved to Music xtra/ letter/artist/ album.

the only auto organise rule i ever use is one to change the file name to title, all my music i move manually with MM running so it picks up the changes. what was really odd is it would move a couple of albums by an artist and leave some but also it created the same folder structure it came from as if auto organise g=had been run, the only thing that changed recently was i installed an old addon to adjust play stats.
i have no idea what i could have done to cause it.
Last edited by AlanH on Tue May 23, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: music moved by itself?

Post by Lowlander »

Do the files still play in MediaMonkey (ie. does MediaMonkey have the correct new Paths)? If so, it may be MediaMonkey. It could be Auto-Organize (however if Folder Monitoring is enabled it could be something outside of MediaMonkey).
AlanH

Re: music moved by itself?

Post by AlanH »

Yeah the files still played, the paths in MM were correct. i predominently work from inside the location node so i didnt even think to check they had been moved at first. i just thought this SSD had given up at first. Sometimes i do drag and drop folders inside MM but even if i was half asleep i wouldnt have been able to that much damage as it was from multiple locations,
AlanH

Re: music moved by itself? *Solved*

Post by AlanH »

I found out what happened to my music, unintentional sabatage by a family member, they admitted they were copying some music off my hard drive and dragged my main music folder, they thought they had cancelled it before it moved anything, at least im not going crazy.