"Clean" install

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

"Clean" install

Post by Rob_S »

After having installed over existing/previous maybe 40 or 50 times going back and forth over alpha and beta versions and debug and non-debug versions etc, along with a number of addons I may or may not need, I wonder if I need to do an uninstall and a clean re-install ??

Maybe somewhat surprisingly, given all that, I am not experiencing any particular problems at the moment, except maybe some of my recent issues did relate to non-default settings I may have made long ago, and not even realized.

Does anyone think this is necessary? Does MM always totally remove previous on its own before installing the new?

If so, do I need to clean out any part of the appdata folder as well - except hopefully for the database itself?

What exactly is stored in the persistent.json file that is often suggested to be removed when problem occur? Does this contain my custom views? Does this also contain all of my existing settings, such as scan, and playback rules, and layout?

Which file contains device and sync settings

Are playlists and autoplaylists totally stored in the database only?

Any discussion or suggestions along these lines is welcome here. :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: "Clean" install

Post by Lowlander »

Please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/

I don't think it's necessary though as you don't have any issues. You can keep the database only (which contains all Playlists/device sync, etc).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks for pointing out that article in the knowledgebase.

It appears from this that most or all settings (options) are in the Database, correct?

One thing it does not address is what exactly is stored in the persistent.json file.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most interface settings. That's one I'd not keep during a clean install, I'd only keep the database.