[REQ] hierarchy genres [#20215 #20216]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

radiohd

[REQ] hierarchy genres [#20215 #20216]

Post by radiohd »

Hi!

I have a gold version for years and I have been encouraged to make a request/question.

I would like that in the Genres view it could be organized in a hierarchical way. For example, at the root level the most generic genres would appear (Rock, Pop, Electronic...) and later each of them could be opened to enter the subgenres. For example, within Rock could be Alternative Rock, Hardcore, Metal...

Logically, there are many classifications of alternative genres, so organizing these genres/subgenres would be the responsibility of the user.

I don't know if I'm wrong but it may be that in previous versions of MediaMonkey, this could be done with the Magic Nodes option.

Is there an option to do this organization in MediaMonkey 5?

Thank you so much.
Ludek

Re: [REQ] hierarchy genres

Post by Ludek »

This is already possible/implemented, just go to the Genres node and switch to the "Genre categories" view like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pllgtsec16l8t ... 6.png?dl=0
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Ludek,

I am running 5.1.0.2806 and when I go to either Entire Library or Music and then Genres, I do not see - in the drop down - the Grid Categories option.

Is this an Add-On or is it dependent on something else?

Background Info:
70,000 tracks each with at least 1 Genre set out of current choice of ~71 individual Genres
Just under half of tracks have multiple Genres set with current 189 "combinations" of between 2 and 6 Genres
Genres saved in field in alpha order with ; separator e.g. New Wave; Pop; Rock; Sound Track
Ian Taylor
radiohd

Post by radiohd »

Thanks for the answer! :D

Yes, that was the idea. Would it be possible to personalize these categories and make them multilevel? For example, to specify gender categories such as the following:
Rock-->Metal-->Progressive Metal
Rock-->Metal-->Trash Metal

Thanks for everything.
Ludek wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:06 pm This is already possible/implemented, just go to the Genres node and switch to the "Genre categories" view like this:
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I don't see that option either using latest beta....., Tried under music and entire library Is it maybe skin specific? I am using Metro M

How are the categories determined, and what would be included in each category?

My genres are a complete mess containing just about every word in the dictionary :D
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The 'Genre categories' are only available with 'Show all nodes' option disabled (default).
i.e for Genres node without childer in the 'Media Tree'
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: It will be improved in 2810 : https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20122

1. the categories will be available even with 'Show all nodes' enabled

Yes, that was the idea. Would it be possible to personalize these categories and make them multilevel? For example, to specify gender categories such as the following:
Rock-->Metal-->Progressive Metal
Rock-->Metal-->Trash Metal
Personalizing is possible (see item 2 in the Mantis issue) : https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 122#c72370
If you want feel free to create own set of the window.uitools.predefinedGenreCategories array in viewHandlers.js and share it here, we can then incude it in the native code -- or make it available as an addon.
oldugly

Post by oldugly »

I also am looking to use genre categories, and was unaware they are enabled. However, like was mentioned in another thread, not many people probably use them since they cannot customize them. I do not know how to do that as suggested, so any guidance on that would be appreciated. But even better would be to enable customization within the native code. Should be relatively easy to allow people to define their genre categories, and then assign each sub-genre used into one (or more) of the categories. Thanks.
MediaMonkey Gold user for 10+ years.
MM5 Gold (Lifetime) 5.0.4.2693; Windows 11; MMA 2.0.0.1152
oldugly

Post by oldugly »

oldugly wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:19 pm I also am looking to use genre categories, and was unaware they are enabled. However, like was mentioned in another thread, not many people probably use them since they cannot customize them. I do not know how to do that as suggested, so any guidance on that would be appreciated. But even better would be to enable customization within the native code. Should be relatively easy to allow people to define their genre categories, and then assign each sub-genre used into one (or more) of the categories. Thanks.
Well, I did figure out how to edit the ViewHandlers.js file, so I now have a customized Genre Categories. However, two issues:
1) The sub-genre of "R&B" is not showing up under the "R&B" Genre Category. This is native code, so my changes should not have affected it, but it doesn't work (I don't know if it was working before my changes, since I wasn't looking that closely, but I didn't touch that particular Genre Category definition).
2) It would still be better to have this in the native MM app, so that I could use the Genre Categories when Auto-Organizing my files (by placing my songs under a Genre Category folder, then Artist, Album, etc.)
MediaMonkey Gold user for 10+ years.
MM5 Gold (Lifetime) 5.0.4.2693; Windows 11; MMA 2.0.0.1152
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

oldugly wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:40 pm 1) The sub-genre of "R&B" is not showing up under the "R&B" Genre Category. This is native code, so my changes should not have affected it, but it doesn't work (I don't know if it was working before my changes, since I wasn't looking that closely, but I didn't touch that particular Genre Category definition).
Hi, thanks for reporting, added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20215
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

oldugly wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:40 pm 2) It would still be better to have this in the native MM app, so that I could use the Genre Categories when Auto-Organizing my files (by placing my songs under a Genre Category folder, then Artist, Album, etc.)

Added this feature request as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20216
MelissaPeterss

Re: [REQ] hierarchy genres [#20215 #20216]

Post by MelissaPeterss »

radiohd wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:19 am Hi!

I have a gold version for years and I have been encouraged to make a request/question.

I would like that in the Genres view it could be organized in a hierarchical way. For example, at the root level the most generic genres would appear (Rock, Pop, Electronic...) and later each of them could be opened to enter the subgenres. For example, within Rock could be Alternative Rock, Hardcore, Metal...

Logically, there are many classifications of alternative genres, so organizing these genres/subgenres would be the responsibility of the user.

I don't know if I'm wrong but it may be that in previous versions of MediaMonkey, this could be done with the Magic Nodes option.

Is there an option to do this organization in MediaMonkey 5?

Thank you so much.
I am running 5.1.0.2806 and when I go to either Entire Library or Music and then Genres, I do not see - in the drop down - the Grid Categories option.
Ludek

Re: [REQ] hierarchy genres [#20215 #20216]

Post by Ludek »

Use the newest build, which is currently 5.1.0.2814 : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86639&sd=d