Device->Library sync (for use w/Traktor)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

forschi

Device->Library sync (for use w/Traktor)

Post by forschi »

How will this work if files are renamed and structured differently on, in my case, a USB stick?
I'm using this stick with a DJ Software and there might be changes in the file after its been used in Traktor. The "Traktor tags" are stored in the mp3, but its not an ID3 tag. Will Mediamonkey sync the file back on to the Library? I hope so as I want my most recent file in my Library. Not sure I got my point across properly.
As I understand MM will sync the ID3-tags from the stick if it has a more recent timestamp only, but will even this work if the file is renamed when its synchronized to the stick?
Last edited by forschi on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: Device->Library sync

Post by Peke »

HI,
Interesting questions. I'll try to answer.
forschi wrote:How will this work if files are renamed and structured differently on, in my case, a USB stick?
Unfortunately, if file is renamed it can't know source of file and will be treated as new file in library.
forschi wrote:I'm using this stick with a DJ Software and there might be changes in the file after its been used in Traktor. The "Traktor tags" are stored in the mp3, but its not an ID3 tag. Will Mediamonkey sync the file back on to the Library?
USB Sticks are REMOVABLE drives and treated by windows like CD/DVDs (with exception that they are writable). On the other hand if you use external HDD which is on other hand in Windows detected as EXTERNAL Drive it can be used in MMW as part of library and treated like that. Will explain that more below.
forschi wrote:As I understand MM will sync the ID3-tags from the stick if it has a more recent timestamp only, but will even this work if the file is renamed when its synchronized to the stick?
Yes, you are right MMW will sync back changed tags on re-scan, but not Traktor tags.

Let me explain bit more both cases:
a) USB Stick
USB Stick can be configured in MMW as Portable Device and then MMW can be used to sync files from library in order to use it in your Sets. Downside of that is that Traktor do not have way to tell MMW sync that file tags are changed which will tell MMW to sync metadata into library. Even if it had way to tell MMW that tags are changed Traktor custom tags will not be transferred as MMW do not recognize them.
NOTE: You can also Scan USB into MMW Library like external hdd, But I do not suggest that as they are slower and prone to fail which would end in loosing loose tracks from library

b) External HDD
When scanning external HDD into MMW library it will became part of library and any changes to files will be permanent and easily updated by scanning them again. Again Traktor tags will not be recognized as they are not supported, but will be contained in files itself.

Here is how I see this working.
1. Add External HDD I use in my work sets to MMW Library
2. Use auto-organize to move tracks that I do not need back to local HDD/NAS/... (MOVE from external Drive)
3. When I need to prepare tracks for my upcoming set on files that I need I would use Auto-Organize to transfer files to External HDD
4. after set is done I would use same Auto-Organize to get them back

Notes:
1. You can use Auto Organize masks to handle destination filename and folder structure you prefer using <Masks> (press F1 in auto organize mask), same goes both ways.
2. Once you Move files on external HDD drive you can't move/delete file or change filename or you will lose them in MMW library along with all your track statistics.

Let me know if you need more.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
forschi

Re: Device->Library sync

Post by forschi »

Ah nice, good to se someone else using it with Traktor :)
I try to always name my files simply artist - title. But I guess also folder structure has to be identical?
My tags are almost without exeptions managed in MMW the only thing that will be changed/added are the tags traktor write with the BPM-lock on. I assume this will give the file a new timestamp and could in theory be used for mediamonkey to decide if the file should be copied back to the "main library, overwriting the older one....this would be ideal as gradually my collection would be fullt tagged with correct beatgrids stored in the file.

I have actually been doing a lot of work on my library to ensure I dont keep duplicate files, this process ended up with my files in one single folder (about 11000 tracks) I did not fully decide on how to organize them yet, for now I'm auto organzing as <Artist@1>\<Artist> - <Title>. But will move towards using the firstGenre as a top folder I think.
The plan is to fit all files on a 256GB usb stick. But just had 2 replacement Kingston HyperX sticks that failed after about a week of usage. Sticks are suddenly not formatted/formatted in a unrecognizeable format. The last one i reformatted but while transferring files it turned up as "write protected" I have no idea what causes this, I can only assume bad luck and that both sticks are faulty/from a bad batch.

I want to keep all files on the stick, have made some auto-playlists I use to create some easy navigateable playlists that i import in Traktor, It seems to be a good solution and I dont have to rely on Traktors Library in case I play at a different laptop.

All files are not properly tagged yet. Beatports genres arent always as accurate as I would like or to my taste, so I have made a long list of artists I consider belong in some general genres and use that as a filter in a auto-playlist, searching for the long string of semi-colon separated artists in title (for remixes) and artists. By adding BPM as a second argument I can get a good filter to browse. Also doing a job on all tracks that has a featuring artist to sort out tracks with vocals and adding the vocalist as <Lyricist>. This adds possibilities to more filters.
forschi

Re: Device->Library sync (for use w/Traktor)

Post by forschi »

Does anyone else use Mediamonkey and Traktor together and have any tips for a good solution when it comes to syncing?

My idea is something like this (writing it down in a list actually made it more clear to me how I should do this)
1. On my stationary, my "master library" is located (actually on a Qnap for raid security)
- New tracks are added here, tags properly set and file/folder made from that
2. A memory stick with a duplicate of all files in the master library
- Indentical folder structure and filenames is required as I understand.
3. Exported playlists from mediamonkey (regular and autoplaylists automatically exported using this addon http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/Export ... bNodes.htm
- Playlists must use relative paths
4. Sync files from USB to "master library" if it has a newer timestamp (traktor has updated it)
- Since MMW doesnt take the file timestamp into the equation I assume the sync both to and from the stick will be handled in a different software
DJ Dad

Post by DJ Dad »

Unfortunately the add-on doesn't work with the latest version (5) of MediaMonkey.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
DJ Dad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:49 am Unfortunately the add-on doesn't work with the latest version (5) of MediaMonkey.
You do not need That plugin in MM5 as you set local folder/USB drive to Auto Sync what you want, export Playlists and folder structure so you can easily import them into Traktor.
Best regards,
Peke
DJ Dad

Post by DJ Dad »

it was actually even simpler than I thought... to use a MediaMonkey playlist in Traktor, you create an empty playlist in Traktor, open MediaMonkey, select all songs in the chosen playlist and drag and drop them onto the empty playlist of Traktor. Done !
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
DJ Dad wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am it was actually even simpler than I thought... to use a MediaMonkey playlist in Traktor, you create an empty playlist in Traktor, open MediaMonkey, select all songs in the chosen playlist and drag and drop them onto the empty playlist of Traktor. Done !
Well you can do that too :D
Best regards,
Peke