Add/Rescan Giving Incomplete Results

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tommyfs

Add/Rescan Giving Incomplete Results

Post by tommyfs »

Using Media Monkey 5 (V5.04.26909) exclusively, and Windows 11. When I update existing files, I send the modified copy to folders which will be rescanned, replacing the original. Upon rescanning, several of the fields show up blank, such as Title, Artist, Genre, Grouping, and Composer. All my files are FLAC. Please give me the step by step on what I should be doing prior to rescanning. Last updating session involved manually completing 48 files. Tedious! Thanks in advance.
Peke

Re: Add/Rescan Giving Incomplete Results

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are sure that those FLAC files have Metadata in and shows in any other Player,may I ask you to send us DL link to one of them using Support Ticket? That way we can analyze them why MM do not read tags an dgive you mode definite step by step guide on what is going on.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check your scan settings that they're set to update file info on rescan and that the date modified is newer for the files replacing old files.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I think maybe the new replacement files did not have any tags. In this case with that setting would the scan import the blank tags?

If this were the case, what would he need to do to retain the database info he had for the previous version, and add it to the new untagged track?

If the new track was partially tagged, how might MM decide what to keep?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

My settings include "update file info on rescan", as recommended by Lowlander, but I cannot find the setting "that the date modified is newer for the files replacing old files." What dialog contains that option?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi, It is just below update tags on rescan.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That option needs to be disabled if the edited/replaced files don't have a date modified (timestamp) newer than the old files. Otherwise MediaMonkey will ignore the files on rescan.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Aha! The reply from Rob_S helped me get my head around the problem. When I modify a FLAC file (tempo, key, etc), I use the Audacity app to start, then fine-tune with Goldwave (for volume, EQ, etc). It finally dawned on me that those apps have no idea what Meta fields I’m using in MM5 (artist, genre, BPM, original date, etc). Thus for modified files, I need to RETAIN the existing tag info in MM5 so that upon Add/Rescan, MM5 does not replace the fields with empty tag info. Obviously for files that are new to MM5, I’ll have to fill in the fields manually. But 99% of the work I do in MM5 is modified files, not new ones. Before I mess up my 1800 tune database, please verify the Library settings I need to accomplish this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tags should be in the files already (by default), so the problem would be why those other apps remove them on tag changes.