Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances [#16543][#14429][#16000]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances [#16543][#14429][#16000]

Post by MikeGahrns »

If I run an instance of MM4 parallel to an MM5 instance, I am able to drag and drop any song from any open MM4 tab (eg. playlists, music, etc.) and drop them into any list of songs in MM5 and everything works great. i.e. When the mouse with the dragged song from MM4 gets over the MM5 instance, the cursor changes indicating that I can drop, a bar shows up indicating what position in the list the new song will appear, when I let go of the mouse the dragged song appears in the correct position, etc.

See the video illustrating this here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=9ADEBEA6 ... 26&o=OneUp

However, if I run a second instance of MM5, I can not drag a song from one MM5 instance to the other. When the mouse cursor dragging the song gets from one MM5 instance to the next, it stays as circle with a slash through it indicating that you can not drag and drop between MM5 instances.

Even stranger, once a second instance of MM5 is running, I am now no longer able to drag and drop from an instance of MM4 that is running. If I kill the second instance of MM5, it still doesn't work, but if restart MM5 and MM4, then drag and drop from MM4 to MM5 works again.
Peke

Re: Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances

Post by Peke »

Hi,
it is already on our To do list as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16543 and related bugs. ATM we are trying to make workarounds for Chromium UI limitations.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MikeGahrns

Re: Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances [#16543]

Post by MikeGahrns »

Thanks Pavle, great to know you are working on it. For the workflow I follow when creating playlists, this will be a killer feature that in of itself will get me to move to MM5.

BTW, it is really great to see that in the latest MM5 you have already implemented the ability to edit multiple playlists side-by-side and drag and drop between them. Thanks Jiri!

Also, the behavior I am seeing is slightly different than what is described in the bug. I was dragging and dropping from a playlist in MM4 to a playlist in MM5 that was opened with "edit playlist, and that worked just fine. (not dragging from MM4 "now playing" to MM5 "now playing"). The problem I was seeing was that drag and drop from an instance in MM5 to MM5 was not working.

It sounds like this is an area that is still work in progress, but I wanted to make sure that this specific case was not missed as it isn't called out in the bug.

Thanks!
Peke

Re: Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances [#16543]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for kind works, the more we near to initial completion (read more as "birth of official Stable version") of MM5 it is harder to fix polishing/hammering bugs, then in time when you know exactly what is missing and what you need to add to make it. So thank you for understanding.

Also https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14429 and https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16000 shows more changes that need to be made. Feel free to comment on those also.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
guapo

Re: Drag and Drop not working with Multiple Instances [#16543][#14429][#16000]

Post by guapo »

A similar issue like this is still not solved as of v2513: Having two MM5 instances open does not allow you to select multiple tracks on one (does not matter whether from a playlist or from the playing list) and drag and drop them into the playing list of the second MM5 instance at once!!! Only the first song of the selection is being added to the playing list........
During DJing, this is a basic and vital part of using MM5, and Im honestly shocked that this is not working. There are times that I have to drop 8-12 songs at once and Im not willing to drag-and-drop every single song alone. The risk of accidentally clicking into a playing list and interrupt the current song that is listened by 200 dancers is pretty high. Im not willing to click so often into a playing list. How can I get a workaround for that?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am unable to replicate, for me dragging 3 songs from instance1 to the playing list of instance2 like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vpk2goeq4taq ... 0.png?dl=0
results in all three files being added there:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jczub85ouf6ge ... 2.png?dl=0
(using 5.0.2.2516)

Wondering what I am doing differently?
guapo

Post by guapo »

hi all,
just to bring that issue back. Im running two mm5 instances (2690) for DJing (one to listen, order the tracks and then bring them over to the second instance that plays them out loud) and noticed last time during the shift: select four songs in the playing list, drag-and-drop them and the last one is gone. its usually the last of the four selected songs (and very rarely the first in the list), and if you re-do the drag-and-drop the same song is being "lost upon dropping" the songs into the playing list.
it happens independend of the file format (m4a and mp3 get dropped if they are last).
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Like Guapo, I would really love to have drag and drop of songs working in MM.

So I’ll add some more info around this….

As an FYI, Bug https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18994 is tracking that Shift + Drag is not moving the songs as expected along with some other cases where drag and drop fails.

In the bug, Rusty speculated that the current behavior might be a result of it being unclear how to handle such operations when the destination is something other than a playlist and posed some questions.
e.g. what should happen if the user drags (or cuts and paste) a track from a playlist to:
a) Genre node - user would probably expect the Genre to be added, but no change to the playlist
b) A location node - user would probably expect the track to be moved, but no change to the playlist

Since I don’t have access to updating the bug, I have added some thoughts about this here:

The typical way windows and apps handle this is that Dragging + ShiftKey means move. Some apps add Dragging + CtrlKey means copy.

When dragging and dropping between playlists, things are straight forward as to whether to move or copy the song between playlists.

In Rusty’s example where the destination node is not a playlist, but something like a genre node, MM could use whether the Ctrl key is pressed to indicate whether to copy the genre from the genre node destination onto the song. If the Ctrl is NOT pressed, then the genre of the song would be replaced with the genre from the destination node, just as it is today.

I’ve seen debates/complaints about what the right behavior should be when dragging a song on to the genre node. i.e. should the genre of the song get replaced with the genre node? This is a problem for users who have multiple genres on a song. Or should the genre of the song get wiped out and replaced with the genre of the destination node which is a nice convenient way to update songs with a single genre?

The beauty of adding the Ctrl and Shift key to drag operations is that you can add the new functionality of adding the genre from the destination node onto a song and that nothing changes for users used to the current behavior of the song getting its genre replaced.

To summarize:
Adding Shift + Drag always means moving the song from the source.
Adding Ctrl + Drag means do a “copy” instead of a “replace”. i.e. if destination is a node like genre, you add/copy the genre to the song, instead of replacing the songs genre with the genre destination.

1) Drag from playlist to genre node: Replace song genre with node genre, song stays in playlist.
Drag from playlist1 to playlist2: Song gets copied from playlist1 to playlist2

2) Shift Drag from playlist to genre node: Replace song genre with node genre, move song from playlist
Shift Drag from playlist1 to playlist2: Move song from playlist1 to playlist2

3) Ctrl Drag from playlist to genre node: Add genre from genre node to the song's genre, song stays in playlist.
Ctrl Drag from playlist1 to playlist2: Song gets copied from playlist1 to playlist2 like option 1

4) Ctrl+Shift Drag from playlist to genre node: Add genre from genre node to song's genre, move song from playlist
Ctrl+Shift Drag from playlist1 to playlist2: No operation, with a message that either Ctrl (copy) or Shift (move) not both keys should be used for playlist to playlist drag and drop