Podcast Episode display/playback order broken in MMA2 [#20012]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

mccracken02

Podcast Episode display/playback order broken in MMA2 [#20012]

Post by mccracken02 »

Hi all,

I'm a longish time (9 years today) user of MediaMonkey and I only use it for podcasts. The recent overhaul to MMA2 seems to have messed with the order that podcast episodes are displayed and added to the playback queue. I'm done some experimentation to try to figure out why this seems to affect my subscriptions differently.

To be clear, here is the expected and correct priority order that podcast episodes should be automatically sorted and played:
  • Release Date (Date in MMW)
  • Track # (mostly not used by podcasters in a meaningful way)
  • Maybe Title, as some podcasts put some sorting info into that field

Instead, this is how I think the episodes are currently being sorted based on my experimentation:
  • Track # (as I said above, mostly useless field)
  • Date/time synced to device, or some other internal ID field

I tend to sync a chunk of episodes at a time per podcast, so while the default behavior here might work for someone who syncs one episode per podcast daily, it really doesn't work for backlogs or serialized content. I subscribe to over 60 podcasts, so it's common for me to be playing catch-up on a few of them at any given time.

Thanks!

*Edit: my current MMA version is 2.0.0.1079
Peke

Re: Podcast Episode display/playback order broken in MMA2

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Full sorting customization MMA wide is not yet implemented in MMA2, but it is planned and high on the list.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mccracken02

Post by mccracken02 »

Hi Peke,

I'm not really looking for customization per se, more like restoring the default behavior that was present in the previous version.

It wouldn't be a good experience to have to customize the playback order for podcasts IMO.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ok, it is possible that I misunderstood you and/or my podcast works differently.

Can you give me few podcast links that you do not like how they are transferred to MMA?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mccracken02

Post by mccracken02 »

Based on my testing, this can happen with any podcast feed that doesn't use the track # field in a unique order for each episode, which is most podcasts that I've seen. Here is one I have had this happen with recently, that also has small file sizes as a bonus :D This one uses track # as release year in each file https://anchor.fm/s/a619435c/podcast/rss

Another key detail is that my sync setting is "5 oldest unplayed," so when you sync to your device, they must all sync at the same time to reproduce the issue. In my experiments if I forced them to sync one episode at a time, the new episodes would appear in the correct order, telling me that there is some secondary sorting past track #.

Thanks!

Edit: The oldest 5 tracks in that podcast actually have 3 episodes released on the same day so that might not be clear for testing, but any of the other tracks should show you the behavior I'm talking about if synced simultaneously. MMA1 used to also be able to sort those first 5 tracks correctly somehow, which I'm guessing is alphabetical on title as a tertiary sort.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks--I'm able to replicate. Tracking this at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20012

-Rusty
rusty

Re: Podcast Episode display/playback order broken in MMA2 [#20012]

Post by rusty »

Hi,

fyi, this is fixed for some podcasts in build 1084 (currently available as a beta: Options > About MediaMonkey > Register for test builds).

Thanks!

-Rusty
mccracken02

Re: Podcast Episode display/playback order broken in MMA2 [#20012]

Post by mccracken02 »

I'm on version 1086 now and all the podcasts I have synced to my device appear to be correct, thank you!