Moving less-played albums to different hard drive

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

RamJacCorp

Moving less-played albums to different hard drive

Post by RamJacCorp »

Need to make some space on my PC, so I want to grab songs and albums that I don't listen to much, and throw them on an external hard drive. Is there an easy way to do this from MM? I tried highlighting all the songs in an album and using the Move function, but it doesn't create any folder structure at the destination, just dumps the files there. Is there a better way, other than going into the music folder in Windows Explorer and just moving the stuff there?

Also, how do I then have MM catalog them on the external drive? Do I need to start another catalog?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Lowlander

Re: Moving less-played albums to different hard drive

Post by Lowlander »

You need to use Auto-Organize Files instead if you want a folder structure. Send To > Move moves the files to the selected location.
RamJacCorp

Post by RamJacCorp »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:50 pm You need to use Auto-Organize Files instead if you want a folder structure. Send To > Move moves the files to the selected location.
Thanks, Lowlander. I do want to move the files off the hard drive, but keep them with the following structure on the external drive:
Artist/Album/Title
Then, I'd like MM to recognize them on the external drive somehow, if that's possible. Am I asking way too much?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

For myself I would try the following - please test with sample to make sure it works.

- Create root music folder on your new storage location. (will this be always connected, or only when required?)

- Set mediamonkey to scan this new location - on startup and continuously.

- With MM running - use Windows file manager to move a test folder from present to new location

- Check in Media monkey to see if it recognizes and plays the file in the new location.

- Check that the track is still present and playable in any playlists you may have which contained it.

If all is well, try a few more :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned, Auto-Organize Files can do this.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I agree, but only after you set up a mask to match your existing folder structure, right??

My way, you can move your existing folders without a mask.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
RamJacCorp

Post by RamJacCorp »

Thanks, Rob_S - Sounds like it's worth a try. I don't plan on having the external drive connected, unless I want to access the music I'm moving there.

Lowlander - regarding using Auto-Organize, I'm not familiar with setting up the mask I'd need to make it work. I'll look into it some, to see if I can maybe figure it out. Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Masks are pretty straight forward and use the tags to create the folder/filenames. Auto-Organize Files will show you the results before you apply them.
RamJacCorp

Post by RamJacCorp »

Lowlander - thanks for the link and the encouragement. I'll have a look, and see if I can make it work. If not, at least there's a plan B.