Moved Folder Still Appears After Add/Rescan Files [#18807]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

singingwolf

Moved Folder Still Appears After Add/Rescan Files [#18807]

Post by singingwolf »

Hi Guys

I use 2 folders for my music, one for new music that hasn't been cleaned/sorted, the other which is the main music folder.

Recently, I moved an album folder from folder A to folder B and did a Add/Rescan on both folders. The album appeared in folder B correctly but also stayed in folder A.

I then used the "Remove" function - still did not go. It is definitely not in Explorer anymore. The contents of the folder are not there - just the main and sub folder.

Using 5.0.2.2507

Windows 11.
Barry4679

Re: Moved Folder Still Appears After Add/Rescan Files

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi singingwolf,

I tried to replicate this, using 2507, but was unable to trigger what you see.

Do you know which node/sub-node you did these operations in, ie. in Folder node, or Muisc or Music>Location ?
How did you "move" the folder, ie. cut and paste, drag&drop, menu options?

Did the problem clear itself when you rebooted MM5.
singingwolf wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pmThe contents of the folder are not there - just the main and sub folder.
In the Folder node, or the Location sub-node?
singingwolf wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pmThe contents of the folder are not there - just the main and sub folder
I cut and paste the tracks using the Location sub-node.
===> the tracks moved to the target location, and when I went back to the source folder it had gone.

When I looked at the folder using the Folders node, I saw that the empty source folder still existed.

I think that this is the expected behaviour. The Folders node is reading your disk's file structure. And the Locations sub-node is looking at your database, and in there MM only lists disk locations where the database knows of tracks.

That is why the Locations sub-node disappears (folder exists, but contains no tracks), and it is remains visible in Folder node (folder exists).

When "removing" tracks, MM5 appears to no do housekeeping. ie. it leaves empty folders.
I think that it some housekeeping at one stage, but can't see any evidence of that any more. ... I think that's OK. You?

Does any of the above explain anything you saw?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

Hi Mate

Thanks for the response.

The process I use is that once I have processed a folder, I cut and paste using Windows Explorer, then run a Add/Scan job in MM5.

I was using the same process in MM4 for many years also without issue.

Except for this one folder, all the other folders I have moved have been cleaned up properly in MM. The MM folder structure should (and normally does) match the explorer file structure after a Add/Scan job is run. The folder does not exist in explorer and now only in MM. Also, say it was in explorer still, the "remove" function would/should normally clean it up.

The Folder and subfolder has persisted. The folder structure is M:\HD Music\FLAC-To Do\CHVRCHES\Screen Violence

Maybe you could try replicate with the exact structure in case of some weird thing there. I then cut and pasted the CHVRCHES folder to: M:\HD Music\FLAC Done - Needs Integration\

As I mentioned, it's a one off and only impacts this one - bit weird. Have you guys done any testing using Windows 11? I doubt it's related but who knows.

Ta

Ant
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

So after quitting MM5 after all the issues, I left it for 4 months, downloaded the latest version to try again. The first thing I see is this issue is still there. In fact, it's worse now.

In a nutshell, some folders, although removed from a physical location, are persistent in MM no matter what you do.

I don't know how to post screen shots here, but I am tempted to give up before I have even started again.

Anyone else have this issue? You can rename the main folder, rescan, remove from library, nothing works.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 68#p493668
I don't know how to post screen shots here
I use: https://imgbb.com/
Once uploaded, select the "BBCode (full view link)" from the "Embed Codes" field
copy this - switch to my MM post - click on a free line - paste with "Ctrl+V"
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:40 am https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 68#p493668
I use: https://imgbb.com/
Once uploaded, select the "BBCode (full view link)" from the "Embed Codes" field
copy this - switch to my MM post - click on a free line - paste with "Ctrl+V"
Thank you.

SS here: https://ibb.co/YTk2P1W

The purple boxes are the same folder as seen by MM5 and Explorer. The red boxes are the same folder location. You can see MM5 has more folders. Nothing I do can get rid of them. I even uninstalled and reinstalled MM5.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you scanning the Flac-To Do folder with Add/Rescan Files? If so is the option to Remove unavailable items enabled under Tools > Options > Library?

Also are you on Build 2531 or 2603?
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

IN MM5: example from your picture:
1. Click with the right mouse button on the folder "London Grams"
2. REMOVE
3. Delete from the Database ONLY
Restart MM5
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:14 pm Are you scanning the Flac-To Do folder with Add/Rescan Files? If so is the option to Remove unavailable items enabled under Tools > Options > Library?

Also are you on Build 2531 or 2603?
It wasn't (on purpose) but I enabled it for the sake of the exercise, rescanned, restarted, still there. :(
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:49 pm IN MM5: example from your picture:
1. Click with the right mouse button on the folder "London Grams"
2. REMOVE
3. Delete from the Database ONLY
Restart MM5
For the affected folder, not menu pops up (only for folders that are in Explorer).
Deadcool

Post by Deadcool »

I am having the exact same problem, MM5 build 5.0.3.2604.

I moved my music collection from D: to C: (same subfolder structure of \music\[bandname]). I performed the steps indicated by singingwolf (this was before I found this thread, as I wasn't aware of the issue yet.)

I have "Music" under the "Pinned" section. When I select Music and then Add/Rescan files to the library, I am presented with both

C:\Music
D:\Music

The second (D:\music) no longer exists. If I right-click D:\Music and choose Remove, I can select either Save or Scan and the selection will still be there the next time I try to Add/Rescan files to the library.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Add/Rescan files to the library,

As you can see from the picture: a recycle bin becomes visible if you carefully move the mouse to the corresponding line.
To the developers: make the recycle bin PERMANENT.

Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

argumon

Re: Moved Folder Still Appears After Add/Rescan Files [#18807]

Post by argumon »

I have looked at the bug:

Priority normal Severity minor

That might not be sufficient. My library settings are wrong and I cannot change that. No matter what I change with Add/Rescan Files, the change is immediately gone. So not only removed folders still remain, every folder I add and save the dialog is gone when I open it again. So I cannot point to where my files are. This is a complete loss of service, with this bug, MM is practically unusable for me.
I have D:\ added in Add/Rescan Files, where I have lots of games, which include audio files. These are all included in my music library now.
Is there at least any workaround?