Syncing a single playlist and JUST it's contents

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

jwillard

Syncing a single playlist and JUST it's contents

Post by jwillard »

I'm utilizing MMW5 on my desktop. What I want to do is choose a Playlist on the MMW pc and sync that playlist and only the content of that Playlist to the MMA. It seems whenever I choose "sync" from MMA it wants to sync everything in the MMW library.
I also don't see the MMA device on the MMW at all. Shouldn't it show up under devices?
Thanks
Jeff
Lowlander

Re: Syncing a single playlist and JUST it's contents

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, it should show under Devices & Services in the Media Tree where you can then set what should be Synced: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Device.29

You can also do this in MMA itself through the Options in MMA.
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

I found this but, If I choose "Music" it attempts to sync ALL the music in the Library and if I just select Playlists, It just syncs the Playlist's themselves but, it's empty and none of the music gets sync'd. I get the "Confirm Deletion" window and I say "Yes" and we loop right back to Sync'd playlists (Names only) and zero content.
Jeff
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check that the Playlists aren't empty in MMW.
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

The Playlists in MMW 5 have content. I play from them all day long.
I don't think this should matter but, the actual content resides on a different server that is running MMW 4. When I upgraded I installed MMW 5 onto a media player type mini-PC running windows. It automatically found the MMW 4 media server and the Playlists were copied over.
Once I get this syncing issue straightened out I'll kill the MMW 4 installation and move the external drive with the content to the MMW 5 mini-PC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To confirm, when you open a Playlist in the Playlist node in the Media Tree in MediaMonkey 5 it has files associated with it?

I'm asking, because you're talking about servers, and you can't Sync from a DLNA server.
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

Perhaps "Server" is a bad term to use here. I have a dedicated machine running MMW 5 and the audio output is connected to a whole house audio system. So I call it the "Music Server". This music PC is connected to the network and I access it via RDP. My mobile device connects to the network via WiFi and it shows up under Devices and Services in MMW 5

Your statement "...you can't sync from a DNLA Server" my be the hint here.
As I mentioned in my last message, the instance of MMW 5 is actually getting it's content from a different computer running MMW 4. I hadn't moved the content from the old version to the new one yet, and it seems to play and work well. Could the connection between the two versions of MMW be where the problem is? It's almost sounding like it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

On the Playlists that fail to Sync, what is the Path to the music files? Just the first part. Also do the files on the Playlist play in the MediaMonkey used to Sync.
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

On the MMA device the Playlist "sync's" but the name only. It's empty if you open it on the Android device. On the MMW 5 PC, if I choose a song from the playlist and look at the properties, this is the location http://192.168.0.152:18687/%5CPlaylists ... =12126.mp3 and the File name is: %5CPlaylists%5C71a0a327-ed75-4761-b81c-9970cd7ed348%5CItemID=12126.mp3

Since our last exchange, I moved the portable drive from the old machine running MMW 4 to the new MMW 5 PC. It's presently updating and fixing missing files and locations of the Playlist. Once it's completed I'll try the sync with MMA again
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That indicates the file is on a DLNA Server and not on a File Server (\\NASNAME\folder). DLNA files can't be Synced. You need to add the files from a File Server to MediaMonkey and to the Playlist and then they should Sync.
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

It looks like that was the issue. It now appears to be sync'ing. It's still working on updating things to the new location for files and I've had a couple of lock ups but, I'm sure once it gets all caught up we'll be good to go.
Thanks for all your help. It's all easy when you know where to look. :)

Jeff
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

Well, It looks like I spoke too soon.
Here's what we have now....
After moving the content HD from the old MMW 4 PC to the new MMW 5 PC, all the Playlists are apparently messed up. But, things are still working, sort of. If I look at any entry in the current Playlist the location shows something like this.. uuid://0ef4ca62-1d08-4fae-812d-b412aaeafafc:18687/%5CPlaylists%5C71a0a327-ed75-4761-b81c-9970cd7ed348%5CItemID=12128.mp3 and if I try to Play that entry, it throws an error that the Playback failed that the above path can't be decoded. The strange thing is, it jumps to play another song from the Playlist.
The old MMW 4 machine was still running but, MMW 4 was NOT running and it does not show up in the Tree under Media Servers. Then, I physically shut it down. Now, the Playlist doesn't play anything, it just throws the above mentioned error.
It looks like my database has lost it's mind and needs to get rebuilt, or at least my "go to" Playlist needs to get fixed.
Is there a way to do this without building a new one from scratch? I've got 1300 entries in this Playlist.
Thanks
Jeff
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's a Path from a DLNA Server.

This unfortunately means that the Playlists need to be manually recreated, unless you have the Playlist in some MediaMonkey with either local or file server Paths instead of DLNA Server Paths. That may be something that you can work with, depending on where the files reside relative to the Playlists (you can edit Playlists in Notepad and change Paths before importing).
jwillard

Post by jwillard »

So, in theory, the Playlist on the MMW 4 machine, where the content was originally stored, should have the local path D:\Music
If I delete the Playlist on the MMW 5 machine and then copy it from the MMW 4 pc to the MMW 5 machine, all should be right with the world?
Should I do this using the file system or the Right Click Copy command from within MM?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the Playlist in MM4 has a local Path and that local Path is valid for the machine with MM5, then yes.

If the Path isn't valid (ie. files aren't on the D drive in the folders on the Playlist) then the Playlist will import empty.