MM5 is awful

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Shankfist

MM5 is awful

Post by Shankfist »

Is it universally accepted that this recent upgrade is truly dreadful? How do I get my money back?
Lowlander

Re: MM5 is awful

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please detail what you find awful about it?
Shankfist

Post by Shankfist »

Crashes constantly. Full of bugs. MM4 works perfectly. Should I go on?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) are you on?
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Having just started my MM experience, personally I can say it's anything but awful.

Agreeably I only use it as a control point between my NAS and my Renderer, but asside from one minor issue (which I've posted on the forum) it's been awesome. Totally stable, does exactly what I ask, instruct and expect.

In order to help people try to help you, it may be worth detailing your setup, the system you're running MM on, the spec of that machine, your update process and what happens (explaining in more detail what you're doing that cuases a crash or malfunction).

I know it's really frustrating when things don't behave as you'd expect, but by giving more info, you can "help them help you".
Most of the time it's just a "simple fix" and considering that I'm having a great experience, there's something clearly not right with either your installation or setup .

Best of luck getting it resolved
Shankfist

Post by Shankfist »

I'm on 5.0.2.2511
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

1. What OS?

2. Desktop, Laptop?

3. Old computer, new computer?

4.Are you using crashes and bugs interchangeably, as if to say the end result
is only crashing, or are there some crashes that seem to be bugs and also some
other things that seem like bugs that don't cause crashes?

5. There have been at least 5 updates (many stability improvements) since
the version you are using. You might want to consider updating to the newest version
here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&start=165

MediaMonkey 5.0.2.2524 RC-2 is the latest at bottom of linked page above
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I am on the latest RC2, and I was tagging a few new tracks this morning, one at a time, using autotag.

The good part was, I found a way to keep old values by clicking on the field in question.

The bad part is, it crashed twice over a period of an hour or so.

Once, it bacame totally unresponsive to mouse-clicks or any input, and eventually closed itself.

The other time it had the message"threw an exception, restart, etc"

So, yes, it still crashes a lot.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

it would probably be helpful to the developers if you gave some specifics (mentioning a couple words from an error message is not being specific).
I am not getting any crashes and used most of the day. So there is something that you are doing (and the OP) that is different ... something causing the crashes/error message.
Please be specific .. and if the crash is reproducible then please look in my signature and follow the link on how to report bugs ... this would be very helpful ... better than saying "it don't work".
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The only possibly unusual thing I did a few times was to paste album art images into the Now Playing window (showing selected track) because I still can't get a paste option to show in the track properties album art window.

In the first case, I don't know how further to describe the state of becoming totally unresponsive. It would not accept any input of any kind, nor could I minimize it out of the way. I could access other applications using alt-tab, all of which were working normally.

In the second case, I don't know the entire wording of the "Mediamonkey has thrown an exception" dialog, but surely everyone knows what that is.

I have no idea how to reproduce these crashes, except to plug away til it happens.

I think the point here is that I could beat on MM4 all I wanted and as best I can recall, it never crashed. I can confirm OP statement that MM5 still crashes frequently, up to and including latest release candidate.

My computer runs windows 10 with all updates, is well maintained, and normally has very few issues. Free ram was around 50% at the time.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, then you are at the point of needing to report your suspicions with a debug report.

Actually, reporting bugs info for MM5 is here
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

You don't need to know how to reproduce your
crashes/bugs. You can just use the debug version of Mediamonkey and try to do the things you
normally/generally do when it has issues. Follow the instructions on the page from the mentioned link.
Point #4 gets more into the debug version
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

MM5 Gold looks to be great for some, but not for me as someone who uses MM as a way to import (both from CD and files purchased as digital), sometimes retag, and manage files. Those functionalities are far more awkward and much, much slower than in 4.1.31.1919 Gold. Re speed I'm referring to getting the interface to do what I want in one or two key strokes vs. using layers of menus.

I'm lifetime gold, so reverted back to using 4.1.31.1919 Gold. Even though I had to re-import files from around 60 recordings after a week of testing Version 5 Gold, I easily made up the time difference within a few days after doing that.

That being said, the new functionality would probably be great for folks who use MediaMonkey to play music from their library. I'm glad that I took the time to check it out, and would love it if there was a way to set up the file management interface for 5 Gold to look and act like that which I use for the last version of 4 Gold so that I could have the best of both worlds. Until then I'm a happy MM 4.1.31.1919 Gold user. In fairness I need to note that I also frequently use dbPoweramp for the actual import of CDs as flac files due to a few customization features not present in MM4 which may possibly be available in MM5.

So for me MM4 in its last version is best and in fact wonderful. I'm glad that I have a lifetime gold license. But I can see where some people who use the player features more than I do and don't require the custom organization that I like will see MM5 as great.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you capture any slowness you perceive in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 a developer will look at it and analyze where there is room for improvement.
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

sallygr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:29 am MM5 Gold looks to be great for some, but not for me as someone who uses MM as a way to import (both from CD and files purchased as digital), sometimes retag, and manage files. Those functionalities are far more awkward and much, much slower than in 4.1.31.1919 Gold. Re speed I'm referring to getting the interface to do what I want in one or two key strokes vs. using layers of menus.

I'm lifetime gold, so reverted back to using 4.1.31.1919 Gold. Even though I had to re-import files from around 60 recordings after a week of testing Version 5 Gold, I easily made up the time difference within a few days after doing that.

That being said, the new functionality would probably be great for folks who use MediaMonkey to play music from their library. I'm glad that I took the time to check it out, and would love it if there was a way to set up the file management interface for 5 Gold to look and act like that which I use for the last version of 4 Gold so that I could have the best of both worlds. Until then I'm a happy MM 4.1.31.1919 Gold user. In fairness I need to note that I also frequently use dbPoweramp for the actual import of CDs as flac files due to a few customization features not present in MM4 which may possibly be available in MM5.

So for me MM4 in its last version is best and in fact wonderful. I'm glad that I have a lifetime gold license. But I can see where some people who use the player features more than I do and don't require the custom organization that I like will see MM5 as great.

Hi there,

With all due respect I do the same. I purchase music from the likes of Qobuz and also "RIP" my own CDs using EAC (because unlike most rippers, even built in ones, the EAC accuracy is second to none). If additional tagging or modifications to tags are required, I use MP3 tag (don't be fooled by the name, I use it with FLAC and it can modify many audio extensions).

Media Monkey is then watching my "Music" folder which has multiple folders (some with many levels in the tree) and everythig "appears as it should".

I use a Windows 10 pro Laptop, with an i5 processor and 32GB RAM. Yes the RAM is overkill for media monkey, but I use the laptop for things that are a re little more hungry with memory.

Still, with all that said, my system is well maintained too. No conflicts with IRQ requests, all drivers up to date and accurate. No "random" registry entries and Media Monkey runs smoothly without the kind of problems you're experiencing.

As others have said, providing logs and even a screen capture of what your experiencing will help them to help you as what's going on with your setup is most strange.

Without knowing the full details, it does sound like a driver issue or a possible piece of software that hasn't installed or uninstalled properly that is causing these issues. However once you provide them with the information, this can be confirmed and you'll be advised further.

Best of luck
errolbest

Post by errolbest »

I’m not quite sure if I’m in the right thread but I would like to put my comments in here. I am a Gold license member and have been for many years and have enjoyed using MediaMonkey. I have been looking at the latest version (MM5) and have seen a couple of issues that perplex me. Firstly, all the current skins have very small (in my opinion) keys for stop, play etc. I currently use MM4 with the – 5th Gen – black skin. Nothing like that appears to be available now. Also, earlier versions of MM allowed me to override the skin backgrounds. This allowed me to have an interesting background presentation. Perusing the forum, I get the impression that I have to modify the skin to do this. That is way out of my league. I’m 80 years old !!! If you are going to move on, please don’t drop what worked in the past.

On another issue, I run a ballroom dance for seniors and,on occasions, have others to run the program in my absence. As you can imagine, sometimes the wrong click of the mouse corrupts the playlist. Is it possible to lock the playlist so that this cannot happen.
All the Best
Errol