MM5 UI and set up questions.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

quofiend

MM5 UI and set up questions.

Post by quofiend »

Hi all
I will search and research some of these but in case someone has some instant answers... ...
MM user since 2007 and regretting moving to MM5 cos its driving me nuts... not impressed at all with the UI. Clearly the onus has moved from catalogue to player. From PC to tablet/phone/app. At least it seems that way.. and of course I get you have to move with the times but... not remove to get there.
1 - How can I default to list view, and column filters, so that any item selected from the 'collections & Views' window on left will display list mode with the filters. Or do I have to set up up for every collection/view individually?
eg. I select my FLAC node (top level). It shows as a list mode and col filter view (cos I set it up). Can I now push/cascade that 'view' down to each level below. Genre, Albums, Composers, Artisits etc. ? Cos it seems if I select one it's grid mode and album cover by default. USELESS to me. Surely there's an option I am missing ?

2 - After scanning in new files, why do they not display until I find a way to force a re-read of some sort. By jumping to a new tab and selecting a different collection or album and then reverting back? What's with the caching/refresh or whatever?
3 - The change to 'scanning' options may seem to provide more flexibility but it also removes base functionality. Lost. No longer being able to select specific folders via check boxes to just import one album, but having to set up a separate item in the scan list to do this. What a backward move or am I missing something ? Yes Autoscan can cover it but slows the system.

4 - Selecting items to edit takes so long now ie. clicking to edit in list mode. Horrible.
5 - Unable to highlight a string to C&P unless you do it immediately you click into the field. Whilst its highlighted

I hate being critical of a product I've loved using for years and am dependent on for all my cataloguing etc.. but I cannot say I am enjoying MM5...yet. Nightmare to move to and the UI remains a nightmare to work with..
Build = 5.0.1.2443
Last edited by quofiend on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 UI and set up questions.

Post by Lowlander »

2,4,5) Which Build (Help > About) are you using?

1) Once set for a type of node, it should remain set and be used for the same level nodes.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Hey..
Yes .. once set for a L2 node.. I agree, it cascades.. So I've got 10 top levels(L1). Each with about 10 nodes (L2). ie Genre, Album artists, etc..
So that means I have to select and set up manually about 100 nodes at L2. Shame L1 doesn't cascade too. My 'genre example was incorrect. I'll edit that.
ALSO the columns selected at L2 in the view should cascade
Build = 5.0.1.2443
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to try the latest Build of 5.0.2 as it fixes some issue: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639

4) Is this improved on 5.0.2? If not, is the problem that Properties opens slow when open it on a multi-select. Are you working in Folders when this happens?

5) Where exactly is this an issue if this still occurs on 5.0.2?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

quofiend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm 1 - How can I default to list view, and column filters, so that any item selected from the 'collections & Views' window on left will display list mode with the filters. Or do I have to set up up for every collection/view individually?
eg. I select my FLAC node (top level). It shows as a list mode and col filter view (cos I set it up). Can I now push/cascade that 'view' down to each level below. Genre, Albums, Composers, Artisits etc. ? Cos it seems if I select one it's grid mode and album cover by default. USELESS to me. Surely there's an option I am missing ?
Try setting up a Custom View.

Your custom View(s) will be available in all of your 100 situations.

btw there is an advantage to the fact that every situation has its own memory of how the Views are configured.
I have quite a few custom Collections also. They are are for specific purposes, and I find it good that I can have a persistent View tailored for each situation. Example is a view that only shows tracks I have ripped in the last three months. I want that view to sort in descending Date Ripped sequence, and to have the Added Column in a prominent position.

I agree that a facility to "share" a configuration to other views is required. I never did get to grips properly with how it was done in MM4. The MM5 beta had a mechanism that did this for a while, but it was problematic, and it got dropped.

The Custom Views facility is a pretty good way at achieving the same thing: powerful, but also simple to understand

quofiend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm 2 - After scanning in new files, why do they not display until I find a way to force a re-read of some sort. By jumping to a new tab and selecting a different collection or album and then reverting back? What's with the caching/refresh or whatever?
Try pressing the F5 key if MM has a screen refresh issue. F5 will trigger a refresh.

quofiend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm 3 - The change to 'scanning' options may seem to provide more flexibility but it also removes base functionality. Lost. No longer being able to select specific folders via check boxes to just import one album, but having to set up a separate item in the scan list to do this. What a backward move or am I missing something ? Yes Autoscan can cover it but slows the system.
I am not fan of the new mechanism either. I have stopped using it.

I created a new folder and set it's add/Rescan "Schedule" to "At Startup & Continuously"
When I want to new media to MM5, I just drag and drop it into that folder.
Then I use MM5 to titivate the tags.
Then use MM5 to drag and Drop the new Media to their proper destination on my NAS.

quofiend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm 4 - Selecting items to edit takes so long now ie. clicking to edit in list mode. Horrible.
You on top of the Context Filter facility? Try this:
  • go to Music node, and go to List View
  • you got any Beatles albums? .. if not, then adapt the following steps
  • make sure that focus in in the main centre panel, ie. just single click on any of the rows
  • type the following beatl pepper
  • I get this ... ie. All Tracks from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band, plus a couple of other Beatles tracks that have the word Pepper somewhere in their name
  • press Ctrl+A to select all
  • ctrl+Click the few tracks that I don;t want
  • Job Done
quofiend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm 5 - Unable to highlight a string to C&P unless you do it immediately you click into the field. Whilst its highlighted
What do you mean by "immediately"?
Click a tag slowly, twice. ie not too fast, which looks like a double click, causing the track to play.

A slow double click will select just that tag. It will remain selected. There is no need do anything "immediately".
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Barry - your reply appreciated. I will go through it ASAP. Not able to at the moment but THANK YOU
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Barry - Thanks again. Finally had a chance to properly look at these tips and much appreciate them.
The RIP temp folder in particular. Saves a LOT of messing about.
Cheers
Kev.