MM4 Free version no longer ripping CDs (Liscensing issue?)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

eellis

MM4 Free version no longer ripping CDs (Liscensing issue?)

Post by eellis »

I have been using MM for years now and just in the last couple of weeks, it will no longer rip CDs to the library. I use 4.1.29.1910 and when trying to rip a new CD a pop-up block appears stating something about a licensing issue with the free version and bundling of MP3 encoding beyond a 30 day trial period.

Is this something new or did I accidentally make some sort of change in the settings? Like I typed, I have been using MM for years now and would hate to have to switch to some other music software.

Or does this mean to continue to rip CDs I have to purchase the Gold version?

I did a Google search and read through some of the forums and did not find any solution.

Thank you.
Lowlander

Re: MM4 Free version no longer ripping CDs (Liscensing issue?)

Post by Lowlander »

The free version of MediaMonkey 4 always had a 30 day limit on creating MP3 files, but you can Rip for free to any other format supported: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... unlimited/

MP3 is not limited in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/download
dbrunberg

Post by dbrunberg »

This problem is not limited to mp3 ripping. I am experiencing this with the following formats:

AAC, M4A, M4B, MP4, ALAC M4A, ALAC M4B, and ALAC MP4.

MP3 ripping appears to work. This just happened within the last several weeks. I have a Gold Lifetime license for version 4.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please detail how exactly it fails, please include any error messages you get.
eellis

Post by eellis »

Lowlander,

Thank you for your reply, but it did not solve the issue.

As I stated, when I put a purchased commercial CD in the CD drive to rip the files to MM (both in MM4 and MM5), a pop-up rectangle comes up stating because of licensing issues, MM in the free version does not allow it. I tried to add a clip image of the box, but couldn't get that done.

I have been using MM for probably more than ten years and this just started.

Here is the wording in the box:

"Due to licensing restrictions, the free version of MediaMonkey can not bundle MP3 encoding fuctionality beyond a 30-day period. For unrestricted MP3 encoding functionality please upgrade.

To upgrade or learn more about MediaMonkey Gold, click the 'Upgrade' Button."

All I am trying to do is rip purchased CDs into MM.

Thank you,

E. Ellis
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's always been this way in MediaMonkey 4. MP3 encoding is limited to 30 days: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... unlimited/

You can upgrade to MediaMonkey 5 or use a different file type to rip to.
eellis

Post by eellis »

Typically, I rip at the flac setting on new CDs. Is there a possibility that I messed around and changed the ripping settings? I just don't get it - I've been doing the same thing over and over again with no problems (and when I downloaded MM5 the same problem occurred).

And like I stated, I have been using MM for over ten years and surely have been using MM4 for more than 30 days, but this started occurring sometime in December.

Currently, I have to rip the CDs in Windows Media Player then scan for new music in MM to add the music to the library.

Thank you for the help.....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no restriction for FLAC, it's just MP3 that is limited in the free version. So likely you've changed it to Rip to MP3 at some point. Setting it back to FLAC should resolve this.
eellis

Post by eellis »

Lowlander,

Oh, I am so sorry - that is what it was - the settings went back to mp3 and not flac.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you so much for the help you did provide.