Is there a way to sync Playlists between MM4 + MM4?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisdukes

Is there a way to sync Playlists between MM4 + MM4?

Post by chrisdukes »

Basically, I want to create a playlist in Media Monkey 4 that will stay synced with a playlist in Media Monkey 5. It can be a smart playlist or a standard one.

Thanks!
https://soundcloud.com/chris_dukes
------------------------------------------------
MediaMonkey Gold Lifetime v4.1.31.1919
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Is there a way to sync Playlists between MM4 + MM4?

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I only use standard Playlists at the moment, so this applies to those.

Export the Playlist(s) to a folder using MM4 making sure the content within the M3U file in terms of drive / path represents what MMW5 will see i.e. location of the MP3 files. I find this is best achieved using the MMW4 add-on "Export / Import Playlists for Child Nodes" as you can easily "change" the drive / path on export.

Set MMW5 to import from this folder. I run this manually now and again using File / Add Rescan File To The Library with a media type of Auto Detection.

You will most likely end up with your imported playlists in MMW5 under a sub-node of Playlists called "Imported Playlists". Check that the Playlists work by a combination of seeing the Album Art (assuming you had this in place), playing a few lists or viewing the content. Empty imported Playlists in MMW5 means something is wrong with the drive / path.

After import is successful, maybe a good time to consider a). backup of the MM5.DB, followed by b). Manage Database then consider c). export playlists (File / Export...) to a cloud backup.

Recommended but optional is to run the debug version of both MMW4 and MMW5 and Sys Internals DebugView. This will allow you to see what is going on and send a log to the forum if any issues.
Ian Taylor