Problem Moving songfiles on an external drive to a new PC laptop on internal drive D:\

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

telstar

Problem Moving songfiles on an external drive to a new PC laptop on internal drive D:\

Post by telstar »

Seasons Greetings!

I can't prove it, but I believe my new laptop went to sleep or Windows 11 updated in the middle of transferring the music files via (latest) MM method. The action I was attempting to do was to move a working MM from an older laptop's external drive (F:\) to a newer laptop with a second internal drive D:\

Prior to music transfer I had moved the .ini & .db files to their respective locations on the internal drive D:\ . I had modified the .ini file to reflect the new .db location and copied music files to drive D:\ (
I use a target "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5\MediaMonkey.exe" "/INIFILE=D:\MediaMonkey\INI\MediaMonkey.ini"
to launch MM. I walked away from the laptop because all seemed to be going well.

Not all was well. Over 70,000 of 80,000 music files have sync'd to MM; 10,000 didn't make it & the missing files don't show in the current/proper directory D:\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library and artwork was missing. FYI, the external drive where the original files originated from were located at: F:\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library.

Problem:
I have searched the forum and MM's wiki for answers, but I can't seem to find or understand a solution to my problem, i.e. how do I get the remaining 10,000 music files into MM and be recognized by it.

My biggest fear is to accidentally create doubles in .db or, have to individually move 10,000 music files one by one into MM........... So I am reaching out for some guidance. :(

I've created a playlist showing an example of the missing music files and, music files with proper pathing. I'll show you some examples from the playlist which are correct and others which can't be found. I have included a link below to the actual .m3u playlist to show how the files locations are represented.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgjAb65aoQMXimS2q7R ... W?e=6DKwOG

These files are good. They are on D:\ drive:
D:\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Today - Brad Paisley (320) 22.mp3
D:\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Today - David Gilmour (VBR264) 09.mp3
D:\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Today - Jefferson Airplane (VBR260) 11.mp3

These files are missing and show incorrect directories.
F\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Hard On Me - Tom Petty (VBR262) 09.mp3
F\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\It's Good To Be King - Tom Petty (VBR274) 05.mp3
F\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Long Goodbye - Brooks And Dunn (201bps).mp3

Most of the missing are of the form: []
[]\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Alone On The Rope - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (VBR259) 01_03.mp3
[]\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\American Saturday Night - Brad Paisley (VBR289)(01).mp3
[]\MEDIAMONKEY\mp3library\Angel Baby - John Lennon (VBR287) 02_06.mp3

In summary:
The D:\ work perfectly and the F:\ and []\ do not work. Oops! Just noticed none of the artwork has come over; all blank. Maybe I should start all over? How to proceed?

Please point me in the right direction to fix these problems and to get these files recognized by MM.

Thanks for your insights.

Happy Holidays!
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)
Lowlander

Re: Problem Moving songfiles on an external drive to a new PC laptop on internal drive D:\

Post by Lowlander »

Are the files that don't work on the D drive? If so, you can use manually re-assign drive for both the [] and F drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive and the files should work.
telstar

Re: Problem Moving songfiles on an external drive to a new PC laptop on internal drive D:\

Post by telstar »

Thank you Lowlander and Happy Holidays to you.

I will follow your instructions. Previously, I saw the info in the links you are referring to, but by the time I saw these my mind had turned to mush after spending several days trying to solve the problem on my own.
Are the files that don't work on the D drive
Yes, the music files are on the D:\ drive; using File Explorer. MM database showed the grayed-out songs. When I went into MM File Properties and changed the filename from [] to D:\ MM did find the song. STILL NO ARTWORK.

Maybe you can provide some insight into recovering the artwork. Again, I will follow your instructions and maybe this artwork problem will go away.

As an aside, I use mp3Tag on occasion and I decided to look to see if it could see the artwork inside the music files on the D:\ drive. Yes, the artwork was still present in the tags.

I'll get back to you on my progress.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

JimK
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using external Artwork? If so, try using the reassign method instead.
telstar

Post by telstar »

Hi Lowlander, I am using artwork embedded it the file. I have included a zip file with msword doc explaining problems with a couple of other files.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgjAb65aoQMXimpamfs ... x?e=vkgJgs

Thanks again for your insights.

Holiday Cheers!

JimK
Telstar

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, scanning is wrong as the new drive is then added while you also have the files on the old drive. The old drive should've been fixed with manually re-assign drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

Files won't show in Dead Links (it only shows inaccessible files on available drive that is connected, not files on a disconnected drive).

You can remove the files from the D drive from the Library (using Music > Location) and then fix the old F now [] drive in the same location using the instructions to manually re-assign the drive.
telstar

Post by telstar »

This matter closed.

MM5 procedure to move song files to an external drive & PC will likely be revised from previous versions of MM.

Thanks MM.
Telstar