Shift + Tab while editing a tracklist [#18729]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

Shift + Tab while editing a tracklist [#18729]

Post by MPG »

have an autoplaylist
Editing a field in the tracklist
Tab - moves to the next field and automatically puts it into edit mode
Shift Tab - Should take me back to the previous field. Instead I'm taken out of edit mode and focus is lost.
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
Erwin Hanzl

Re: Shift + Tab while editing a tracklist.

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello MPG,

I have tested and everything works under MM 5.0.2.2531:
Playlist / Autoplaylist / All Songs /Albums

1. Activate the 2. input field and change the text
2. continue with the TAB key
3. Automatic next right text field activated for changing
4. I don't make any changes, but press SHIFT + TAB: the previous (1.) input field is activated for change
5. ESC interrupts the change mode
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I checked and Shift+Tab also works as expected on 5.0.2.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Guys, I'm obviously not making this up. I really don't want to be continually switching between the debug and standard versions of MM5. I have too many addons to continually reinstall and it's just time consuming. I need the non-debug version of MM5 so that I can do context menu's on with my spellcheck add-on. Is there any way I can have both a debug version and standard version installed at the same time? Also, what happens if it works in the debug version and not in the version I have installed....which I think will quite likely happen.

I'll be honest. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with MM5. I am having nothing but problems with editing my tags and it's operability. What I would deem standard functionality seems to have been lost (such as being able to organize the taskbar). Even the search results on the left bar are missing.

The two endearing features I have found are being able to automatically sort a playlist after the result set is returned and ability to look up artwork from within the properties window.
TIA
MPG
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Debug and regular can be installed on top of each other (to switch) or separate (I recommend installing as Portable Installs any additional installations).
MPG

Post by MPG »

I installed the debug version and was able to recreate the following errors.
1) Shift+Tab
2) Alt+left arrow
I submitted ticket: 3452
TIA
MPG
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello MPG,

MM 5.0.2.2531 standard installation
1. I mark several songs and switch to spellCheck
2. next / previous
3. OK

Go to TOOLS> Options>General> Hotkeys
Your add-on "spellCheck" caused an error for me.
see photo

What strikes me is that in your script you manipulate the hotkeys in the "actions_add" file !!!
Root cause? Effect?

My critical note:
Your add-on description does NOT indicate that you are driving to a third-party homepage (https://api.textgears.com).

Where's the data security?

And still "SHIFT + TAB" works for me.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi Erwin,
Thanks for using the spell check add-on.
Yes, the utility goes to the public utility of api.textgears.com to find possible replacements for the misspelled word.
I set up a hotkey of Shift+S to open spell check and it works fine for me. I saw that error once during development, however, I've been unable to recreate it. Any guidance you can provide to recreate the bug would be appreciated.

As for the Shift+Tab, I was able to get the debug version to work by removing the History Next and Previous View hotkeys. I know there's no relation, just saying it worked. I reinstalled the non-debug version to try and recreate your spellcheck bug and it's back again. I removed the hotkeys and it fixed my Alt foward/backward movement, but the Shift+Backspace while in edit mode still doesn't work.
TIA
MPG
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello MPG,

Shift + Backspace has never been mentioned until now.
Function: Every time you press Shift + Backspace, you delete the entire content of a marked field in edit mode.
This is exactly what this key combination is supposed to do.

ONLY with Shift + TAB you get to the next LEFT FIELD AND the content of the field is marked in edit mode.

Before I try something new or perform an update, ALWAYS make a backup.
I also keep a LOG file on paper, what I change and when (e.g .: hotkey changes).
It is a bit tedious, but useful for error analysis.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MPG wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:06 pm I reinstalled the non-debug version to try and recreate your spellcheck bug and it's back again.
Hmmm, just reviewing this thread, and want to add this simple thing. When I do the tests I have Two MM portable installations, Debug and non-debug but using INI DBname to point to same LIbrary. Make two shortcuts on desktop and start one I want to test with. As advanced setup I also sometimes use Symbolic folder links (Yes they also exist in Windows) so that even custom Plugins/settings are shared. Also installing new versions do not break that setup. Let me know if you want me to help you on setup.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MPG

Post by MPG »

I've figured out how to recreate the Shift+Tab bug:

I am in list view of a playlist. I've noticed that Shift + Tab works when the criteria section is visible. When I scroll down the playlist to where the criteria section disappears it doesn't and I can recreate it every time. I've also tried different skins with the same result.
TIA
MPG
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure you can have a field in the edit state when it isn't in view. For example, edit a field and scroll away and edit state is lost. If you F2 on a field out-of-view and type it initiates the Contextual Search. Thus it Shift+Tab tabs through the interface instead as the field is not in an edit state.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi Lowlander,
You didn't quite get what I meant. I'll try to explain again.

When you have a playlist and you are looking at the list view, the criteria section (playlist properties) is at the top. What I'm saying is that if you scroll the tracklist down until the criteria section disappears and you click F2 to edit a field, then press Shift+Tab, you will be taken out of edit mode. When the criteria section is in view, you will be taken to the previous field and you will stay in edit mode.
TIA
MPG
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying you're using F2 to engage editing of the Playlist settings? I assume this is for an AutoPlaylist?

I can't reproduce as I see no way to use F2 to edit a value in the AutoPlaylist Criteria as I can't select a value to edit without it already entering edit mode.

If you're using F2 on a field in the Filelist itself, my reply above covers that as F2 doesn't enter edit mode for fields not in view.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Not what I'm trying to explain. Let me explain again.

Create a playlist, doesn't matter what kind.
Add some criteria, again it doesn't matter what it is.
Make sure you are using list view for the tracklist.
My tracklist columns are:
1) Track #
2) Title
3) Artist
4) Album
5) Date
6) Genre
7) Length
9) Track Volume
10) Bitrate
12) Played #
13) Path
Scroll the tracklist down until the playlist criteria section disappears.
Press F2 to edit a field of a song in view in the tracklist (any editable column except the first one) Such as Artist on my tracklist.
Press Shift+Tab to edit the previous column. (to go to Title on my tracklist) It doesn't work.
Scroll up until the playlist criteria section is visible.
Press F2 to edit a field of a song in view in the tracklist
Press Shift+Tab to edit the previous column and it works.
TIA
MPG