Media Monkey Seeing Folder that Does Not Exist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

DemonDragonJ

Media Monkey Seeing Folder that Does Not Exist

Post by DemonDragonJ »

I recently built a new computer, and installed Media Monkey 4 on it. I had Media Monkey on my previous computer, so I simply transferred all of my music files from that computer to the new one, in a folder entitled "PC Media Library." That folder contained two subfolders at the time that I transferred it, but I moved the files within those folders into the main folder and then deleted the subfolders.

However, when I added the songs to my collection on the new computer (by pressing the insert key), Media Monkey displayed one of the two subfolders within PC Media Library, despite those folders no longer existing, and it displays it every time I add new media, so it is very annoying. What is even more unusual is that Media Monkey recognizes that one subfolder has been deleted, yet it does not realize that the other subfolder does not exist, as well.

Does anyone here have any advice? Do you know why Media Monkey is seeing a folder than no longer exists?
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey Seeing Folder that Does Not Exist

Post by Lowlander »

Where does it show this? In the Add/Rescan Files dialog?
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 pm Where does it show this? In the Add/Rescan Files dialog?
Yes, it shows the nonexistent folder in that dialog box.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case, just remove it.
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:46 pm In that case, just remove it.
I did remove the folder, but the folder still appears in the add/scan files window, and I wish to make it stop doing that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DemonDragonJ wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:10 pm I did remove the folder
from Add/Rescan Files? That's where you'll also need to remove it.
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:12 pm
DemonDragonJ wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:10 pm I did remove the folder
from Add/Rescan Files? That's where you'll also need to remove it.
How do I do that? I cannot simply deselect it, as that also deselects the parent folder, which is where I store all my music files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does it affect scanning? If not, then I'd leave it. This is not an issue in MediaMonkey 5 where scan selection is done differently.
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:52 pm Does it affect scanning? If not, then I'd leave it. This is not an issue in MediaMonkey 5 where scan selection is done differently.
I suppose that I could ignore it, but then I would need to delete the files that were previously in the subfolder, as they would be added to my collection every time that I add new files, and I plan to keep my current computer for many years, so it would become annoying very quickly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Huh, you said the folder doesn't exist, so how is it adding files from a folder that doesn't exist?
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:40 pm Huh, you said the folder doesn't exist, so how is it adding files from a folder that doesn't exist?
That is what I would like to know, as well as how I can stop it from doing that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not possible. Scanning can't add files from a folder that doesn't exist. Have you confirmed in File Explorer that the folder doesn't exist?
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:35 pm That's not possible. Scanning can't add files from a folder that doesn't exist. Have you confirmed in File Explorer that the folder doesn't exist?
I have definitely checked, and there is no subfolder in my media library folder, but, for some reason, a subfolder does appear when I scan for new media files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Scanning can't add files to the Library (as seen in Music) from locations that don't exist. So although the location may be checked in Add/Rescan Files, if it doesn't exist it can't add files from their on scan.

You may want to try deselecting the sub-folder and parent folder, run Add/Rescan (on some other folder), then restart MediaMonkey. Does the non-existent sub-folder still show in Add/Rescan Files?
DemonDragonJ

Post by DemonDragonJ »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:04 pmYou may want to try deselecting the sub-folder and parent folder, run Add/Rescan (on some other folder), then restart MediaMonkey. Does the non-existent sub-folder still show in Add/Rescan Files?
I did that, and Media Monkey is still seeing the nonexistent folder, but it not import any files from it, which is a step in the proper direction.