Artwork in MMA

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Artwork in MMA

Post by tbm72 »

I'm a bit confused how MMA handles artwork for tracks. I've set my MM5 library to embed all artwork in the actual track tags. I noticed I had a folder full of artwork from MediaMonkey on my phone that I manually deleted (over half a gigabyte) as I assumed it was all embedded in the mp3 track itself and this was just wasting space. Now it doesn't show any artwork if I play the track in MMA but if I play the same mp3 from any other Android mp3 player it correctly shows the artwork that's embedded in the file.

I tried about 5 other players and they all display the embedded mp3 artwork, just not MMA which seems a bit odd considering how fully featured it is in all other ways. Is MMA not able to display embedded mp3 artwork or have I missed a setting?
Lowlander

Re: Artwork in MMA

Post by Lowlander »

That likely was the cache for the Artwork. Both MMA and MMW cache Artwork for faster display in the application. This is much faster than extracting Artwork from media files each time they're displayed.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

All the tracks are missing artwork when played in MMA now though. But if I play the exact same files in any other Android audio player they display the artwork correctly (pulled from the file tag).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried rescanning in MMA?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I've tried clicking 'Check for new/changed media' in MMA and it says 'scanning started'. The wheel in the top bar spins for a short while but then stops. I've done this several times and most tracks still have artwork missing (only within MMA) although there are a few that seem to be displaying artwork correctly.

If I play a track which has missing artwork in MMA in a different Android app it displays artwork immediately.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then I assume that MMA doesn't recreate the cache the user deleted. Playback uses a larger image.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

No worries, I know you guys are busy working on MMA so I'm sure things like this will level out and improve eventually.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I still can't get artwork to come back in MMA. I know it was my fault for deleting the cache folder but is there a way to force rescan? The artwork is definitely embedded in the mp3s but MMA doesn't seem able to see that. I've tried 'Options>Check for new/changed media' in MM5 on the phone but that doesn't do it.

The closest I seem to get is to do a wired sync of my phone over USB multiple times and occasionally I'll see a few hundred tracks in the bottom left corner progress area getting copied over. Doing it that way gradually brings back artwork for some tracks but there's loads still missing. I have to keep disconnecting my phone and reconnecting it and MM5 randomly syncs some tracks (e.g. 'Syncing phone: (Copying 1/1052')). Then I unplug and do it again and it might catch a few more but sometimes it doesn't copy any over.

Lesson learned - don't delete the artwork cache folder!
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

I've found that mine isn't displaying artwork all the time as well. I'm similar in that I tend to have the artwork in the audio file tags and not as seperate image files, but I did just notice an option in MMA settings for Lookup Missing Album Art, which I've just checked and it seems to now be picking up the artwork - how does that option work? Does it only search within the audio file and the device, or does it also search online? And then what does it do with the artwork? Save it to the device or update the file with it (and then sync it back to MM5 on sync?)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That option looks for missing Artwork on the internet, not in the files.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

yes, Lookup Missing Album Art- searches artworks on the internet and stores them in MediaMonkey/Artworks folder.

"Check for new/changed media" checks changed/missing artworks from the system media database, which also parses embedded artworks from tracks. So I don't understand why it does not refresh artworks to you.

1)You can hit "Check for new/changed media" and during scanning send or better save and attach Log to analyze what happens.
or
2) You can remove and then add folders from library to fresh rescan entire library
(some metadata can be lost, which is not supported by Android, like #playcount, #skipcount, etc.)
or
3) You can try wifi sync, which is the best option how to be synced with MM5.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks, I've been trying combinations of wifi/wired syncing and 'check for new/changed media' but not had much luck as loads of tracks still had missing art.

Weirdly I found a way that seems to fix it but it's a bit laborious. I basically scroll through the list of tracks in MMA on my phone and for any that have missing artwork (i.e. that show the MM placeholder image) I click [play] for a second or so and then go back to the tracks list and look for more. I just keep starting each track playing for a second then move on to the next one with missing art. Then the next time I do a wifi sync, it reports at the end 'Updated xxx tracks' and all those that had missing artwork before now display it OK.

I also noticed another weird bug with MMA but I'll post it in a new thread when I get a chance (I updated an album name but it refuses to update the album folder title on my phone and insists on using the old album name for the folder on my phone but shows correct in MMW).
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

I had the problem with missing artwork, too, though a while ago with older versions of MMA and MMW.
I deleted everything connected with MMA on the phone (uninstalling the APP and also manually deleting the remaining folders), installed it new and Wifi synced again, now everything is fine.
What I really miss is a kind of repair function that checks if anything is wrong or missing during or in addition to syncing and then repairs it.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
doney6012

Post by doney6012 »

I don't know if my situation is the same as those listed above, but it seems close enough so I'll post it as a reply here.

I have a Nokia X20 with Android 12 (security update 5 Feb 2022) with MMA 1.4.5.0960 and MMW 5.0.2.2532
I currently have 7786 files in the MMA library Wifi synced to an SD Card on my phone.

For the longest time my artwork would always appear correctly, but recently album artwork is just displayed as blank. When this happens, sometimes the artwork will at least still appear in the Now Playing screen and on a widget in my launcher. But currently no form of artwork is showing at all (whether it be while navigating for artists/albums, now playing screen, or widget). I can sometimes rectify the issue by clearing the cache for MMA and re-scanning for missing media, but the artwork will only appear for a few track plays, then disappear again.

My first thought was that the amount of artwork files might be bogging my phone down (I realise Nokia X20s aren't exactly power houses). Could that be the case, or is it a common issue with MMA at the present. I have only recently updated to MMW 5 (in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I know, I'm slow to catch up, but I was too comfortable with MMW4 to change)

Thanks,
Deano

PS. I also realise that MMAv2 is coming along at some point. Is there a beta program that one could join?
Peke

Post by Peke »

doney6012 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:21 am PS. I also realise that MMAv2 is coming along at some point. Is there a beta program that one could join?
Not yet, but we hope it will be resolved soon.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts