Best way to copy files for portable use?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

Best way to copy files for portable use?

Post by Mikey1969 »

Hey all, so I use/sync MM between my Windows box and my Android devices just fine. I'm wondering what the best way to copy a bunch of files for potable playing would be.

Here's the idea:
I bought a thumb drive to play music on my computer at work. This way, I'm not filling up the drive with my music, if I ever leave, I don't have to pull my music, etc... I have more music than the 64 GB capacity of the thumb drive, so I don't want to just grab everything. But now my music is a little fractured, with artists on compilation albums having songs listed under their name in the folder structure. It would work well to copy exactly what I have on my Android phone. So how best do I do this to preserve the naming integrity, make sure all of my alums are complete, etc?

Am I able to sync a computer just like I would sync a device? Can I just plug the thumb drive into my work computer, set up MM (portable, of course), and then have it sync up the files tagged with (In this case) "Mike's Music"? Or do I have to drag and drop, and hope I get everything? And if drag and drop is the best answer, is it possible to go into the MM install on my main server and export them from the list, so they get everything?

I hope this makes sense. Just looking for the easiest way to do this.
Lowlander

Re: Best way to copy files for portable use?

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey can be installed as a Portable App on the drive.

Yes, MediaMonkey can sync to storage drives and you can also set how files are stored (for example using Album Artist/Albums/files so files are in their Album folder.

The Portable MediaMonkey would need to rescan after Sync happens to see the changes.
Mikey1969

Re: Best way to copy files for portable use?

Post by Mikey1969 »

Awesome. Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. :-)