Help with File sync on portable install

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

Help with File sync on portable install

Post by Mikey1969 »

Hi all,
Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find instructions on how to set which files to sync on MM5, portable install.

I think I have almost everything set up (As I mentioned in another post, this is for my work computer, so I want it to be on the thumb drive). I've installed it, turned off any option to save things to the HDD, all that stuff. I even pointed it to the server and it found it. What I haven't been able to figure out is where I choose the files to sync. I may have set this up wrong initially, but I don't think I did. My current config, running everyone's music on their phones, is to add tags to music. The stuff I want is 'Mike', my daughter's is 'Susan', etc. Then, on each device, I'm given the option of choosing a tag to sync, nice and easy. I can't figure out where that last setting exists. Am I missing something? Have I set this up wrong for everyone else? Did MM change how this functions? I have 70 GB of music, and only a 64 GB thumb drive, so I can't copy absolutely everything...
Lowlander

Re: Help with File sync on portable install

Post by Lowlander »

It's set in the Sync List: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 3E_Device)

You don't define which tag you used. A tag like Genre works as you can select a Genre to be Synced. Otherwise you may want to create an AutoPlaylist with Criteria the tag you used and then the value for the applicable person. Then as you tag they're updated automatically and you just select the AutoPlaylist to be Synced.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK, somehow I became more confused... :-)

I guess I want to create a Smart Playlist like you said, and I did, but I have absolutely zero idea how to make it sync. I'm missing something obvious. It seems like MM is too useful, and they bury the easy stuff in with the higher end controls. That's fine, because I'd rather have more features than not enough, but some simple "Set up music for sync" Dummies Wizard would be kind of nice. Oh well, like I said, I'd rather have extra features.

So currently my music is on a NAS, and I run a windows computer with MM4 and use it as a server. Should I pivot to using the MediaMonkey Server? Currently, the computer I have hosting the music is JUST for that, I don't play music off of it. And would that make this easier? I did see something in the Smart Playlist setup that let me use the tag I created for my music (It's just the "Custom 1" field), but I have no idea how to get it to start syncing music.

I created a Smart Playlist that looks for Custom 1 to be 'Mike", which is the tag I gave the music that I currently sync to my phone. So I think I have that part right, but I can't get music to sync, so I'm not sure what I missed.

And last question; storing on G Drive seems like a good option, that way I'm covered if the NAS dies. Is that pretty simple to set up on the MM Server?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As linked above, on the Sync List in the Device Profile select the Playlist (Mike) to be Synced and then initiate Sync to have it Synced to the device. That's all.

MediaMonkey Server is not needed for any of this. Just stay with MediaMonkey 5.

You can use MediaMonkey 5 to Sync to a Cloud Storage like Google Drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... rvices/5.0
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK, I finally figured this out. Thanks for your help. I shot myself in the foot trying to do this, and ended up deleting all of the tags I use to sort tunes, but that was my fault, and it was late. :-)

What I was doing wrong was trying to sync to the thumb drive from another computer than the one I had the files on. Once I got smart and just ran it from the computer that I use as a music and movie server, the only issue left was trying to figure out how to make it all fit. Well, with the exception of having to do my personal category tags all over again, that is. :-)

Thanks, as always, you always step in with the answer I am looking for.