Flakey display of album art [#18748]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Flakey display of album art [#18748]

Post by Rob_S »

I have seen a few different instances where Album Art does not display what I expect. This is using latest 5.03 beta.

For example, If I right click the art square in the main window My Library, list by album, and select "lookup image", pick one and add it, as cover (front), it will not display in that window right away. However, it does display right away in the bottom right corner preview window, set to selected.

If I close and re-open MM5 it will usually display the artwork in the main window as well.

Also, if I autotag a specific track, and it finds art to add to that track, then that new art will often also display in the main window for other unrelated tracks which still have no artwork tagged to them.

Sometimes tracks with artwork tagged previously will also not display in main window, but will display in the preview window, set to selected.

If this explanation is not clear, or if no one can easily reproduce this, I will load up some screenshots to clarify it.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Flakey display of album art

Post by Lowlander »

Which node in the Media Tree are you in when that happens and have all files on the Album been updated with that Artwork?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The node in the media tree was "All Tracks" at the top

The track in the first example was by itself, ie the only one associated with this album.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens in your setup.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Nothing to debug, there is no error in function, nor any crash, it is just the display of the art that is absent, delayed, or incorrect.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DebugView captures all actions, no error needed to be useful.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

It seems that something a little odd / different going on.

Just updated a laptop from 2513 to 2600 and no issue for "old music" but for recently added music, the Music / Artist and Music / Album displays an "Album Tile" with a floppy disk icon overlaid. It also did this for the corresponding Playlists but this went after a time.

Shutdown 2600 and then went back in and now everything seems to be correct.

Is this just a case of taking a while to update all the images in the library. I have added ~200 files in 2022 and I guess it took 15-20 minutes to update these album images and remove the floppy disk icon.
Ian Taylor
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The floppy disk icon means that the images were auto-looked up, but not saved to file tag yet.
Based on settings in Options > Library > Metadata lookup > Background metadata lookup
[x] Artwork [ ] Update tags
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My point was that the display is not updated. The "preview" window shows the correct tagged artwork, but the main window does not update its display until after a restart, as confirmed by Ian above.

I do not have any auto-lookups enabled.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I think I have just replicated the issue when right-clicking specific "album" in the "List (by Album)" view:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqegq3bgscfg5 ... 8.png?dl=0

i.e. after the image lookup the artwork is still missing in the "List (by Album)" while showing in the Preview window.

F5 to refresh fixes this refresh issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hj9dymv4gf33 ... 7.png?dl=0

Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18748
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Ludek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 am The floppy disk icon means that the images were auto-looked up, but not saved to file tag yet.
Based on settings in Options > Library > Metadata lookup > Background metadata lookup
[x] Artwork [ ] Update tags
Hi Ludek, the tooltip for this option says "Looks up artwork if its missing" The artwork was not missing, it was stored in the file tags for ALL files including the recently downloaded "New" music.

But like I said, given a little time this minor problem sorts itself out.

The issue is exaggerated as this particular laptop is quite slow (CPU-Z 97.4) AND the music is on a USB connected external hard drive. On the faster laptop or desktop (CPU-Z > 373) or when using MMW4 I did not observe the issue.
Ian Taylor
freedomfries323

Album art not consistently displayed in MM5

Post by freedomfries323 »

I ripped a box of CD's and had to manually add album art into the tags for some of these, using the excellent MP3Tag program. I've noticed that some of the artwork isn't being displayed in the browser view or the artwork window. Even after manually rescanning the folder and updating the database. The funny thing is, if I select the track and right click to select Properties, I see the album art in the art section. It just doesn't display it in the browser. This particular example is an MP3, and the album art is a 600x600 jpeg, completely standard.

If, from the properties window, I manually go to the art tab, and find the art embedded in my tags there and "apply all to selected", it will show the art in the browser. I suppose I can always go through that process if all else fails, but I'm just curious as to why the album art embedded in the track doesn't always display in the browser, even though it shows up when I look up the track properties.

Is there something else I can try to do to troubleshoot these issues? It's not a consistent behavior. Sometimes the embedded tag art is displayed right away, sometimes I have to "force" mm5 to display it.
Last edited by freedomfries323 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lowlander

Re: Album art not consistently displayed in MM5

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) are you using?
Rob_S

Re: Flakey display of album art [#18748]

Post by Rob_S »

This confirms exactly what I am seeing as well.

In the centre pane when displaying all tracks or a playlist, it often shows the blank cd, or the totally incorrect image.

Clicking on the track will often display the correct image in the bottom right preview window.

All my artwork is embedded, and there are no jpg files in any of the folders.

I believe this is somehow related to the way the mediamonkey image cache works
freedomfries323

Re: Album art not consistently displayed in MM5

Post by freedomfries323 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 pm Which Build (Help > About) are you using?
5.0.2.2531 When I go to the album art section of the track properties, I'll see the album art, and I notice that "Apply to all selected" is unchecked. If I check it, the art shows up. This seems to be a database flag that could be preventing the embedded artwork to reliably display automatically? Maybe this could be on by default?

By the way, if I'm missing album art, I'm finding that the built in lookup function is also quite successful.