Dealing with old podcast episodes listened to pre-MM [#18809]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

KeithC

Dealing with old podcast episodes listened to pre-MM [#18809]

Post by KeithC »

This may have been asked before, so apologies for the possible duplicate.

I subscribe to a few podcasts, some with hundreds of episodes. Since moving to MM, I have no easy way to tell it not to download (or more importantly sync to my phone) all the old episodes that I have listened to before I switched.

One way would be if there was a way of setting the Play Count to 1 for multiple entries. I know you can do it per entry, but I literally have several hundred old episodes that I do not want to sync, but also don't want to delete from the library (and they would probably be downloaded again anyway).

I guess what I really need is some way of telling MM not to sync these old episodes, but the only way I can see to make that happen is to mark as played. If there is some other alternative, I'd be happy to use that. Telling it to only sync the last N (unplayed) episodes isn't the answer as it is sometimes weeks between syncs so I may not get all the episodes, or if I have synced recently it would still sync older episodes I have listened to.
Last edited by KeithC on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Mark as played

Post by Lowlander »

You can do this in the Properties window on the Details tab for all files in the selection.
KeithC

Re: Dealing with old podcast episodes listened to pre-MM

Post by KeithC »

I thought you could do that, but the fields on the Details tab seem to be read-only. At least, they are for Podcasts, though they are editable for music files.
Last edited by KeithC on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They are for non-downloaded episodes. However if you include a downloaded episode in the selection it will allow you to edit Play Counter.
KeithC

Post by KeithC »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 am They are for non-downloaded episodes. However if you include a downloaded episode in the selection it will allow you to edit Play Counter.
Thanks, I just spotted that. It only works if all episodes in the selection are downloaded. Which makes sense. So I need to download all episodes, mark the old ones as played, then sync only unplayed. That's workable.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For me it worked if just 1 episode in the selection was downloaded.
KeithC

Post by KeithC »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm For me it worked if just 1 episode in the selection was downloaded.
Hmm, wonder what the difference is? I had to only have downloaded episodes selected. Maybe something to look into when I get more time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm using build 5.0.3.2601
KeithC

Post by KeithC »

I just re-checked. I tried to figure out the variables, this is what I have:
  • For downloaded episodes, Play Counter always works as expected from both the Properties dialogue and in-line.
  • For episodes showing but not downloaded (need "Show removed episode links" checked), I can always edit the Play Counter field in-line but not always from the Properties dialogue. I haven't figured out the conditions, I thought I had tried all combinations of settings but it sometimes allows me to change and sometimes not. I think it depends on whether I have also selected a downloaded episode, or have moved from a downloaded to a non-downloaded episode using the <Prev> or<Next> button. However, the value is only preserved for episodes that are downloaded. That is, it changes in the list, but if I go to another podcast then back again the value (for non-downloaded episodes) reverts to 0.
I hope that is clear.

I am using 5.0.2.2351 (the current release version from the Download page).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're right Play Count is only saved for Episodes that are downloaded (which is why you can't edit the field in Properties). Other tags changes are also lost for non-downloaded Episodes.

I've opened an issue in the bug tracker for this: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18809