Ford SYNC missing songs

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

themgnt

Ford SYNC missing songs

Post by themgnt »

Don't have a lot of hope on a resolution but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm using a USB drive to play music in my Ford with Sync. All in all it works well. However, I recently added an album and tried to find it and, despite it being on the USB drive, it was not indexed by SYNC. I tried several things to get this to work - renaming the album, shrinking the artwork, etc, but it just won't show up. I added one of the tracks to a different playlist and THAT song now appears in the playlist, but I still can't find the album (curious now if I display the details of that song what album shows up - will have to check).

I wondered what else might be missing so I made a quick check of how many songs are showing in each playlist in SYNC vs what I actually have in MM. Nearly every playlist was missing songs.

What's really odd is I have one playlist with on 7 songs. 6 appear in SYNC. The one that's missing is from the same album as another that does appear:

This song appears:
Filename: 20 Anya Taylor-Joy - Downtown (Uptempo).mp3
Tag name: Downtown (Uptempo)

This song doesn't:
Filename: 21 Anya Taylor-Joy - You’re My World.mp3
Tag name: You’re My World

Both have the same album name, same size artwork, etc. I was expecting to find a weird character, too long of a name, or some other identifier but there is nothing unusual.

Another weird one, this Beatles song:
The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
Does not appear on the Album it's part of but does appear in a different playlist.

I've mentioned here two songs that don't appear in one playlist but does in another. Those secondary playlists are, themselves, missing tracks. Very strange.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
Peke

Re: Ford SYNC missing songs

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What FORD Sync version you have?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
themgnt

Post by themgnt »

Peke wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:35 pm Hi,
What FORD Sync version you have?
apologies for not getting back sooner. I was traveling.

I'm on Sync 2 V3.10, which is the last release for this version.
themgnt

Post by themgnt »

Well, this seems to be a tagging issue. (EDIT: See post 24 below. The following is no longer accurate but I'm leaving it due to the continued discussion) I've opened some of the tracks in mp3tag and noticed things in the tag that MM does not show the same. Some track numbers as 1/10 and some Year tags as 1990; 1990. These look ok in MM but are non standard. Once I corrected these some of the invisible tracks (which I added to a Missing Songs playlist) appeared. Not all of them, but it's a good clue.

One song is weird in that all the tags look right but it does not appear in any playlist, but does appear when I search under the artist name, and I can even call up the song via voice command. Weird, but at least it's playable now.

EDIT: This has to be some issue caused by MediaMonkey

I'm cleaning up some tracks, including some that I noticed are tagged badly on the Ford Sync (ie it shows the file name rather than the tag). There's a specific set which I KNOW I did some proper tagging on within mp3tag prior to moving into MediaMonkey. But once in MediaMonkey I decided to reorganize it a little bit, so I renumbered. Now, when i look at this album in mp3tag the track numbers are 1/10, 2/10, etc. This was definitely not like this when I put the album into MM.

The same thing with the year. It was not formatted like 2005\\2005 (as it appears in mp3tag now) or 2005; 2005 as it appears elsewhere.

I'm not ruling out a plug in, but I doubt I used a plugin to renumber tracks.
Last edited by themgnt on Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you pleae get few track samples that do not work after MM tag edit and same tracks that work after mp3tag corrections, I wonder if it the issue with tagging standard and/or something that MM do.

Note: I seen both cases that creates incompatibility, it was fixed number of times, but if we find another one it should be fixed.
Best regards,
Peke
themgnt

Post by themgnt »

Peke wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:46 pm Can you pleae get few track samples that do not work after MM tag edit and same tracks that work after mp3tag corrections, I wonder if it the issue with tagging standard and/or something that MM do.

Note: I seen both cases that creates incompatibility, it was fixed number of times, but if we find another one it should be fixed.
First off, I no longer believe that was the problem. I did a complete comparison of what MM has in the playlist and what Sync shows. Turns out the commonality is the apostrophe. Specifically:
- This works - ' (U+0027 : APOSTROPHE {single quote; APL quote})
- This does not - ’ (U+2019 : RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK {single comma quotation mark})
EDIT: these characters also aren't compatible with SYNC - à ñ é á ` There may be more.

Unfortunately the Quote mark is what's commonly used in online taggers like freedb or whatever I use currently in MM to pull this data. So, not a MM issue.

As for my above post: I wasn't able to recreate the track number issue but if I make a change in the track listing (ie: renumbering only) MM changes the date from 1970 to 1970; 1970 (when I look at the file properties in Windows). This appears in mp3tag as 1970\\1970. I don't currently believe this is an issue for me personally, but seem like something MM shouldn't be doing.

I still have an issue where tags aren't read at all and only the file name appears in SYNC. I thought I traced this to artwork size being larger than 500x500 but apparently that's not the case. I may update this post later.
Last edited by themgnt on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
themgnt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:31 pm MM changes the date from 1970 to 1970; 1970 (when I look at the file properties in Windows). This appears in mp3tag as 1970\\1970. I don't currently believe this is an issue for me personally, but seem like something MM shouldn't be doing.
Nothing is wrong with MM simply for years there was standard issue that developers can't agree on. MM due the best compatibility used that gray area to support all possible devices.
Fortunately We have made things easier and you can disable specific Frames so that other apps that do not internally correctly handle both standards and do not show both values (there was debate number of years ago about what to do).

You need to locate exact double value (mp3tag extended Tag-View [ALT+T]). I suspect TYER and/or TDRC and disable them in MediaMonkey.ini (depending on what FORD SYNC support) read how to do that at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91938.
Best regards,
Peke
themgnt

Post by themgnt »

Peke wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:55 pm Hi,
themgnt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:31 pm MM changes the date from 1970 to 1970; 1970 (when I look at the file properties in Windows). This appears in mp3tag as 1970\\1970. I don't currently believe this is an issue for me personally, but seem like something MM shouldn't be doing.
Nothing is wrong with MM simply for years there was standard issue that developers can't agree on. MM due the best compatibility used that gray area to support all possible devices.
Fortunately We have made things easier and you can disable specific Frames so that other apps that do not internally correctly handle both standards and do not show both values (there was debate number of years ago about what to do).

You need to locate exact double value (mp3tag extended Tag-View [ALT+T]). I suspect TYER and/or TDRC and disable them in MediaMonkey.ini (depending on what FORD SYNC support) read how to do that at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91938.
Thanks for the info! I no longer feel this is an issue with SYNC, it just seemed an odd behavior from MM.
Peke

Post by Peke »

themgnt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:50 pm Thanks for the info! I no longer feel this is an issue with SYNC, it just seemed an odd behavior from MM.
I would not blame MM only. Over the years and many trials and misses current behavior proved to be best approach for MM4 and earlier versions where we needed to use hybrid version of ID3v2.3.0 tag version in order to support as much as possible device. Like I said there was discussion with other app developers (will not point fingers), but only way to resolve that is to users choice to disable some fields in case of need, while using apps that refuse to handle this properly.

NOTE: TDRC is ID3v2.4.0 tag field and should be same as TYER when used in ID3v2.3.0 while ignore showing it even it is written in tags, but not all wanted to respect that.
Best regards,
Peke