Synology noob

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

knapman

Synology noob

Post by knapman »

Are there any step by step guides for how to install on a Synology (Intel based) device that someone new to the platform could follow?
drakinite

Re: Synology noob

Post by drakinite »

I'm not familiar with Synology, but after a quick search I see that they run some distribution of Linux. I'm assuming the OS has a GUI, but you'll still need to use the command line to run MMS. So try the following:

1. Download the latest Linux (x64) version of MMS from the pre-releases page: viewtopic.php?p=493497#p493497
2. Open a command line terminal in the folder to which you downloaded the package.
3. Create a new folder where you want to place MMS. For the sake of this example: mkdir mediamonkeyserver
4. Extract the contents of the zip into the new folder: tar -xvzf MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz -C ./mediamonkeyserver
5. Navigate into the new folder: cd mediamonkeyserver
6. Run it: ./mms

The output should include a bit of logging as well as a message similar to this:

Code: Select all

==================================================
MMS v0.4.3 running at http://192.168.1.151:10222 (or http://localhost:10222)
Connect using a web browser or using MediaMonkey 5.
==================================================
If so, proceed with the setup as instructed. If this works for you, let me know and we can try to help you make it run as a service (i.e. starting at boot, so you don't have to open a terminal manually & do ./mms every time)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not for now.

I am working on similar thing for QNAP, but process should be almost the same on Synology. What Model and DSM version you have?

If it takes too long for you, please feel to bump this post occasionally.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
knapman

Post by knapman »

Thanks for the replies, i'm running DSM 7 on a ds920+

So I kind of got a result, server running, scanned the song folder ok, can play songs in the web interface, but back in windows running MM5, it detected the server, I clicked the sync now button and went to the All tracks section but it just says playback failed, mediamonkey cannot decode

As for the steps I followed to get it going, it was a bit of a bodge but just in case someone else finds it useful:

I'm running
Windows 10 / DSM 7 DS920+

Select Terminal & SNMP and Enable SSH service

Download and run PuTTY

Enter IP

Login with an admin account

Note - right clicking the mouse in PuTTY will paste whatever is in the clipboard (on the password entry the cursor does not move when text is entered but hit enter anyway)

After logging in it seemed I didn't have suitable permissions so had to enter

sudo -i

and then re-enter the same password

After this I navigated to my storage

cd /volume1

make the folder

mkdir mediamonkeyserver

Back in the web interface I used filestation to transfer the MMS Linux x64 archive into any easy folder that was accessible, as folders created via ssh don't seem to show up in filestation

In this case could just be the default music folder that seemed to already exist

Back in PuTTY navigate to this folder

cd music

extract the files

tar -xvzf MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz -C ../mediamonkeyserver

Switch over to the mediamonkeyserver folder

cd /volume1/mediamonkeyserver

run server

./mms

Ctrl - C seems to exit out

and based on the tutorials I dug through it was suggested to disable SSH once you are done for security purposes
Last edited by knapman on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Good work, let me expand/simplify it.
Synology:
Make sure that SSH and SFTP Are enabled on Synology
https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutor ... SSH_Telnet
https://kb.synology.com/en-vn/DSM/help/ ... ?version=6

QNAP:
Make sure that SSH and SFTP Are enabled on QNAP
1. Logon onto QNAP QTS
2. In search Type SFTP and select SFTP settings
3. Enable both SSH and SFTP (I left default port 22)

Apps used:
PuTTY: Download putty.exe from https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt ... atest.html
WinSCP: Download and install from https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

SETUP AND INSTALL:
3. Start WinSCP
4. Go To Options -> Preferences -> Integration -> Applications and check If putty.exe path is correct use "<FULL PATH TO PUTTY.EXE" if path contain spaces
5. Select New session TAB
6. Select Use SFTP
7. Fill The parameters for Admin login and login to NAS
8. You can easily create navigate to MMS destination folder like "/volume1" (for QNAP it is "/share/") and create "mediamonkeyserver" folder Using NEW -> DIRECTORY icon
9. Upload MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz to that folder
10. Right click on MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz -> File custom commands -> Untar/Gzip

This conclude SETUP and PREPS, as now you can simply open WinSCP and just navigate to extracted folder.

Start and use MMS as server and leave it Running in background.
1. Start WinSCP -> Login to NAS
2. Use Icon Open Session in PuTTY (or menu Command -> Open session in PuTTY)
3. Confirm Admin password
4. navigate to server folder eg. "cd /volume1/mediamonkeyserver" (for QNAP it is "/share/mediamonkeyserver")
5. Enter screen -> SPACE to confirm new Screen session
6. start msm using ./mms
7. Pres CTRL+A and then key "d" which should disconnect SCREEN session and leave it running in Background.
8. Close PuTTY and WinSCP
9. MMS server ill run in background until you restart NAS.

EDIT: Added QNAP setup steps
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

knapman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:10 pm and based on the tutorials I dug through it was suggested to disable SSH once you are done for security purposes
It is safe to have SSH available on LAN especially if that port is blocked from accessing from WAN (internet) on your router.

Use https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=22 to probe port and if all OK it should state "Stealth".
Best regards,
Peke
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Also, if you need remote SSH to be available in the long term, it's a very good idea to change it to a port that's different from the default.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
knapman

Post by knapman »

An extra step I only just got onto, launching / closing MMS from within the Synology web interface itself

I have no idea what the nice way to do this is, just a solution I have run into from googling around, so if anyone has better options please share

Run Task Scheduler

Create a Scheduled Task or a Triggered Task, that offer different automation triggers to hook into, and create a user defined script

I've made one for launching and one for closing

In the general tab setup your trigger, give it a name and set the user to root

In the Task settings tab in the user-defined script box i've put

cd /volume1/mediamonkeyserver/
./mms

For closing i've just made a second task with the command

pkill mms

If you don't want these to be automatically executed you can just untick the tasks in the list, then just right click a task and select run to launch manually, more likely to be what you would want for the close command