'Lookup Image' has stopped working [#18824] [#19249]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

'Lookup Image' has stopped working [#18824] [#19249]

Post by tbm72 »

As of today the 'Lookup Image' image search function no longer appears to be doing anything for me. If I select the Properties of any track and then go to Artwork>Lookup Image the dialogue pops up with the 'searching...' text and spinning circle for a few seconds but then it goes away and there's no image search results as there always usually are. Dialogue box is just blank with [Browse] [Apply] and [Cancel].

I've tried quitting and even rebooted PC several times but nothing helps.
Friedrich

Re: 'Lookup Image' has stopped working

Post by Friedrich »

I can confirm this for version 2606. Happens wherever "Lookup Image" is available.
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Same for me on latest beta 2606. Was working OK in this same version when I first installed it, though.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, it is known issue, being tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18824
RenaissanceMan1020

Re: 'Lookup Image' has stopped working [#18824]

Post by RenaissanceMan1020 »

My 'Lookup Image' is also now unresponsive. Lookup Image worked very well, from the release date until 8 Feb 2022. I had downloaded perhaps a thousand images or more. When next i triggered Lookup Image, I then received a very brief error message that mentioned something about a socket or a socket zero. The error message disappeared so quickly that I did not have the time to entirely read it. Since then, my experience with lookup image is the same as others have described. Nothing appears. Rebooting the computer did nothing to help.
Furthermore, immediately after Lookup Image broke, the computer could not download any Windows updates, any Dell updates, nor an update from Tech Smith.
It is interesting that my computer found it necessary to run the Windows repair option immediately after Lookup Image failed. However, after running the Windows repair, Lookup Image is still not working. I am now able to download the other updates from windows and other apps. The problem is with Lookup Image, and it is breaking something in the general download routine. Just a thought from someone with no training or experience in software development.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As indicated it's a known issue and a fix will be rolled out.
darich

MM5 won't search for artwork

Post by darich »

Been using MM for years and a few months back upgraded to MM5.

It would search for artwork without issue until just a couple of days ago.
I have made a couple of changes but not sure what affect that would have, if any, on searching for artwork.
I put the database (MM5.db) onto my NAS and updated my configuration file accordingly, but I was getting periodic I/O errors and MM5 would offer to restart in safe mode, or continue. Music would continue to play.
So I moved the file onto my local machine (F drive) and the error messages stopped popping up.

But now, when I search for artwork, I see a spinning circle as if it's thinking. That lasts for a couple of seconds, then disappears and no artwork is downloaded. I can browse my machine and manually add artwork that has been downloaded already.

Any idea why MM5 won't search for artwork?

Thanks
darich

Re: MM5 won't search for artwork

Post by darich »

After some more searching on this forum I see it seems to be a known issue. So it appears to be coincidental that it's popped up around the same time as I was switching from NAS back to local drive.

My version is 5.0.2.2531
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

New build is on the way, but if you can't wait then just install this addon: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ge-search/
that includes fix for the broken image lookup issue.
Ludek

Re: MM5 won't search for artwork

Post by Ludek »

Yes, this issue is known and is version independent (caused by a change on server side)

New build is on the way, but if you can't wait feel free to install addon that already includes the fix:
viewtopic.php?p=494384#p494384
darich

Post by darich »

Thanks for the info and for moving my post.

I've downloaded the addon and it seems to work a treat. Cheers
Mickeman

Artwork lookup doesn't show any hits after last patch

Post by Mickeman »

I tried to find missing artwork after last patch and it doesn't show any results any longer whatever i choose to search for..
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Although the patch and subsequent MM updates seemed to initially fix the artwork lookup issue, it still seems very patchy and not very thorough. I find some albums return zero artwork matches and others come back with very few and often random (and not very well matched results).

As one example off the top of my head, Bjork's 'Debut' album is returning just 9 images in total and none of them are for the correct album (which is obviously a pretty mainstream album).

Curious where the images are pulled from - I guess it's not a standard Google image search? Would be nice if we could define our own sources for artwork somehow (maybe using something like https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-artwork-finder/)
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

tbm72: they are now from Bing image search. Google completely reworked its image search, so it is not so easy to make quick fix, hopefully we will add it in the future again.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Fair enough. But it does seem that a pretty large majority of searches come back in MM with either completely wrong or unusable artwork (e.g. very low res/rectangular images/pictures of CD cases etc).

Even dragging and dropping/pasting artwork from my browser still rarely works as has been reported before so it's quite an effort getting usable artwork.

The api in the link I put before seems to get nearly all artwork searches I tried in either standard or high res format - I wish I had the skills to make an addon based on it!

https://github.com/bendodson/itunes-artwork-finder