[REQ] Is there a way to have MM5 export playlists on exit/schedule/automate export?

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Ludek

Re: [REQ] Is there a way to have MM5 export playlists on exit/schedule/automate export?

Post by Ludek »

BTW: I am just testing current MM5 > File > Export > Playlists...
and seeing that:

1) it remembers the last folder exported
2) It can be assigned as hotkey

i.e. in Options > Hotkeys assigned action 'General > Playlists...' to hotkey 'Ctrl+Shift+E'
Edit: I'll update it to 'Export > Playlists...' for the next build

So everything that I need to do to export all playlists is just pressing 'Ctrl+Shift+E' and then Enter to confirm the last export location.

Wondering whether a change is needed at all as it is currently pretty simple to start the export anytime?
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Is there a way to have MM5 export playlists on exit/schedule/automate export?

Post by Lowlander »

Automated would be better. The usecase of exporting random and/or size limited AutoPlaylist for use in other software (servers) is a good one and automation makes this seamless. ie. a set it and forget it solutions is best. Now if only Plex could read in Playlists seamlessly from a source other than iTunes.

A scheduled option besides a on close option would be best as that would work better for those who don't exit MediaMonkey regularly (or those who do so a lot).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Seems to me the best way would be to add a menu option under File at the bottom

Exit
Exit & Export PL

I'm sure not everyone wants all their playlists exported every shutdown.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello Ludek,

However, this would have to be done for several backup generations.
e.g.: target folder "X:\MM5_Sic_PlaylistsAnd DB"
Automatically create subfolders: YYYY-MM-DD hour_minutes_second
And while you're at it: copy the MM5.DB to this subfolder as well.

Thanks

Das müßte jedoch für mehrere Sicherungsgenerationen geschehen.
z.B.: Zielordner "X:\MM5_Sic_PlaylistsUndDB"
Erstelle automatisch Unterordner: YYYY-MM-TT Stunde_Minuten_Sekunde
Und wenn ihr schon dabei seid: kopiert auch gleich die MM5.DB in diesen Unterordner.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Rob_S wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:23 pm Seems to me the best way would be to add a menu option under File at the bottom

Exit
Exit & Export PL

I'm sure not everyone wants all their playlists exported every shutdown.
I imagine there are more that don't than more do and I don't think it should be set for everyone, is just like to have them option for those of us who do. The old export playlist add-on for mm4 was ideal, but as that won't work with mm5 it would be nice to have an option for a basic export on exit (or periodically as mentioned above). It sounds like you guys are on board with the option and it sounds doable, so many thanks again for doing it
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:46 am Hello Ludek,

However, this would have to be done for several backup generations.
e.g.: target folder "X:\MM5_Sic_PlaylistsAnd DB"
Automatically create subfolders: YYYY-MM-DD hour_minutes_second
And while you're at it: copy the MM5.DB to this subfolder as well.
Can you elaborate what do you mean by this?

I've just pressed Ctrl+Shift+E and the last path is correctly remembered:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8yarrl01350c ... 0.png?dl=0
then I pressed just Enter for the export and all playlists in the C:\Temp\!!!!\ folder has been overwritten by the new versions.

Seems to me the best way would be to add a menu option under File at the bottom

Exit
Exit & Export PL
I don't see how menu > File > Exit & Export PL is quicker than the "Ctrl+Shift+E" hotkey to export the playlists?
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Your variant OVERWRITES the previously saved playlists.
I create a NEW folder each time on a second internal drive - this gives me a multi-generational backup.
Reason: this gives me the security of being able to access older generations.

That's a .CMD-File:
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 pm Your variant OVERWRITES the previously saved playlists.
OK, I thought that overwriting is rather expected here.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I don't see how menu > File > Exit & Export PL is quicker than the "Ctrl+Shift+E" hotkey to export the playlists?
The point here was if people want to do this "on exit" it combines the function of exporting their playlists and exiting into one click, and walk away.

The concept of wanting incremental backups of playlists had not occurred to me.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Me neither, I want to have a regularly updated version of each playlist, having a load of almost duplicate versions backed up is of no interest to me. I can't quite see why that would be useful to be honest
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@F1nchy
They will understand after exporting a non-visibly broken playlist and not realizing it.
They will understand after exporting a non-visibly broken playlist and not realizing it.

Also, this could be Options controlled: Backup to new folders every time? Y/N

It always makes sense to invent a script with multiple flavors to suit all user tastes.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Hi guys

Just following up on this request, is it something that is going to be added?

Thanks!
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

When this would be added?

Thank you.