SongPreviewer v1.1.0 [MM3+4]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Steegy

SongPreviewer v1.1.0 [MM3+4]

Post by Steegy »

:: Script SongPreviewer v1.1.0

This script adds a "preview mode" to MediaMonkey. You can set start and end time for playback of songs, so that only pieces ("previews") of songs are played.
This is very cool for quizzes, or just to get a fast preview of the available songs.

Installation Package: SongPreviewer110.mmip

An item "Song Previewer..." is added to the "Play" menu, where you can enable the script and set the options.
On startup of MediaMonkey, the script is always disabled.

Information:

You can set a relative start time (percentage of song length) or an absolute start time (from begin or end of the track, in seconds).
You can set a relative end time (percentage of song length), an absolute end time (from begin or end of the track, in seconds) or an absolute time period (in seconds).

An option "Cancel preview on user input" is available to automatically disable the preview mode for the currently playing song, when the script detects user input on the playing song (e.g. restart song, seeking, ...). This means preview mode will be temporarily suspended (e.g. because you like to listen longer to the currently playing song). The next song that starts playing will be controlled by SongPreviewer again.

Examples:

Each song starts playing at 45% of its duration, and keeps playing for 10 seconds long.
Start1: 45% SongPercentage
End1: 10 s TimePeriod

For each song 10 seconds from the beginning and 10 seconds from the end are played.
End1: 10 s TimeFromBegin
Start2: 10 s TimeFromEnd

A preview can exist of max. 2 parts of the song:
  • First part: from Start1 to End1 (so in previous example from the begin to 10 s)
  • Second part: from Start2 to End2 (so 10 seconds before the end until the end)
If Start1/2 is not filled in, it means play from the begin.
If End1/2 is not filled in, it means play till the end. The second part will only be played when End1 is also filled in.
Parts can overlap.

Attention: This script is NOT the Previewer script (that enables you to preview a song without interupting the now playing list) or the Preview function in MediaMonkey (which lets you save partial songs).

Attention: For people using the AutoRateSongs script, please read this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 138#p48138
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Bex

Post by Bex »

Great script! :D

I think i'm going to arrange a music quiz (in which I can participate). How? Auto-DJ or Scrobbler DJ + This script.

Thanks,
/Bex
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Cool one.

Need to add if anyone use the AutoRateSongs.vbs with this, then go to Tools - Options - Library - Auto Rating to make sure that the skip monitor start after xx seconds is larger than the preview time in this script. Or simply disable it while running quizzes.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nicely typed out and posted a pro. scripter if i ever seen one.

:D

how ever i must decline the use of this script for the fact of
i can't understand why anyone wants to be teased by a computer
that just plays part of a song.
i'd end up smashing the dadgum computer
for doing that in about an hour.

still it is a nice script i cant stand music quizs they drive me nuts. :P :o :-? :( :roll:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

DiddeLeeDoo, I added a link to your post with the remark.

Well, I primarily made the script because I thought the normal "Previews" function in MM is kind of stupid in my eyes. It doesn't do what I want from it as it can only create (reencoded) preview files and isn't flexible to configure.

And I thought this was a missing feature, after I saw another music program's features (which are much less, but sometimes nice ideas).

Anyway, I use it to preview songs from a specific genre, or if I'm looking for a nice sounding song but can't remember the name, for instance.
I agree that listening to previews for hours can become annoying. But that's not necessarily the purpose of this script.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

:o

oh sorry i thought it was to make quizes to use in a playlist.
but i still have to decline use of it even on this computer why ?
cause my sister would pound me in the ground if i make it play
only short previews of the songs. :o

which by the way i had thought about doing to her for a laugh. :roll:
until i thought about the pounding i would get :o so i don't like
to feel like beatle bailly after sarge got done with him, so i deleted
the notepad file. before i got smashed. but was it tempting? :wink: :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

my sister just said the other night.

" i'd like to make music quizes like the old tv show name that tune. "

looks like you did this script right on time.. :lol:

she also said.

" if you make it play only parts of all my songs with out letting me control it, I'LL Pound you " :o

to which i said " who me " :roll:

i wish to make my last statement on the forum now just incase i get pounded..
thanks for all the great scripts and for the great media monkey program.

i hope that is not my last statement but if this script gets me pounded it just might be. :(

its been swell. :lol: 8)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hmm, seems like a dangerous neighboorhood where you live :o.
Just don't tell your sister where I'm from please. In this case...
pah68

Post by pah68 »

It doesn't work for me :-? The button on the tollbar is there and it opens the modal window, I make selections, none of which seem to work.

THe Apply button does not close the window, is this normal behaviour? If not, this might be the problem, because I have to hit the close button to close the window. Making changes, hitting Apply and leaving the window open makes no difference either. :(
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I noticed on one occasion that all animation on the player stopped, everything on the player went blank. The music was still working and the stop button worked. Hitting play again fixed it.

Related maybe?? I don't recall ever seeing that behaviour prior to loading this script.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i can't help you on that pah68

i don't have the script set up yet.?

steegy she seen where you are at but its too far for her
to travle to so your safe. :lol:
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Pah68, do you have one of the latest MM versions? Normally version 2.5.2 should be enough, but you never know...

To activate the script, try to set things like in the screenshot I posted (just to test: all settings should work).
Make sure everything is correct and then press apply to apply the settings. The apply button works as it should (and does so in all Windows programs). It leaves the window open so you can easily change/disable the script, and then apply to save the settings. For that purpose, the form is displayed on-top, but non-modal (so you can use MM as if the form wasn't there, it doesn't have to be closed first).

Mind that the script is by-design not "foolproof" (sorry for the word). It doesn't check if Start comes before End, if the period is long enough, ... and so it relies on the common sense of it's user.

In the beginning of the script, there's "LogEnabled = False". To get some kind of log, change it to "LogEnabled = True".
The log is saved as "C:\MMSongPreviewer.log" and can only be viewed if MM is closed.

Test it onnormal music files (that play correctly in MM) and that have the normal length (more than 1 minute). For short songs, you might have to use a shorter End Period or so.

The previewing mode starts with the next song that starts to play. So after you enable&apply, the playing song will first be played completely to the end. Of course you can press the "previous", "next" or "play" buttons to start preview immediately (with the previous, next or current song).

Cheers
Steegy
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Steegy wrote:Pah68, do you have one of the latest MM versions? Normally version 2.5.2 should be enough, but you never know...
I've been using 2.5.2.951, I'm downloading the latest Beta now to see if that makes a difference.
Steegy wrote:To activate the script, try to set things like in the screenshot I posted (just to test: all settings should work).
Make sure everything is correct and then press apply to apply the settings. The apply button works as it should (and does so in all Windows programs). It leaves the window open so you can easily change/disable the script, and then apply to save the settings. For that purpose, the form is displayed on-top, but non-modal (so you can use MM as if the form wasn't there, it doesn't have to be closed first).

Mind that the script is by-design not "foolproof" (sorry for the word). It doesn't check if Start comes before End, if the period is long enough, ... and so it relies on the common sense of it's user.

In the beginning of the script, there's "LogEnabled = False". To get some kind of log, change it to "LogEnabled = True".
The log is saved as "C:\MMSongPreviewer.log" and can only be viewed if MM is closed.

Test it onnormal music files (that play correctly in MM) and that have the normal length (more than 1 minute). For short songs, you might have to use a shorter End Period or so.
It created the log file ok but didn't write anything to it. I just played 10 tracks, all CBR MP3's between 128 & 192kbit. Track lengths between 2:02 & 3:41
Steegy wrote:The previewing mode starts with the next song that starts to play. So after you enable&apply, the playing song will first be played completely to the end. Of course you can press the "previous", "next" or "play" buttons to start preview immediately (with the previous, next or current song).

Cheers
Steegy
The first 7 tracks were with the modal window open, last 3 closed. No pausing or stopping or track advancing while these ten tracks played.

I'll try the latest Beta shortly.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

The script works well with 2.5.3.963 :wink: Problem solved :D 8)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i found a error with it.
in the latest monkey version. on winxp

the start time does not work if you set it and the end time. nothing happens.

if you set both to % of song it works fine.

if you set start time and time period. then it will work. with the number of seconds of the song.

that is only thing i found with it. my sister still has not noticed it but she did want the quiz so its alright after all :D