Syncing with multiple albums of the same name; only last Album Art is used

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

Syncing with multiple albums of the same name; only last Album Art is used

Post by MPG »

Hi,
Something I just came across:
If you sync multiple albums with the same name, only the last album art is retained.

For example:
I was syncing a random playlist and by chance it had albums with the name of Everest by three different artists:
- Chris Barber, Lonnie Donegan
- Cisco Houston
- Everest

I noticed that only the album cover for the artist Everest is being used for all albums called Everest.

MM5: 5.0.2.2531 (I know there is a new version...waiting for 5.0.3)
Sync Profile settings:
Sync All Artwork to file folders: unchecked
Copy Artwork to file tags: checked.

MMA: 1.4.5.0960
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
Lowlander

Re: Syncing with multiple albums of the same name; only last Album Art is used

Post by Lowlander »

Are the Album Artists different for those Albums? Also did you sync MMW > MMA (ie. directly to the device with MMA installed)?
MPG

Post by MPG »

I don't use Album Artists, so the field is null.
Yes, it was a hard wired sync from MMW to MMA.
TIA
MPG
Peke

Post by Peke »

MPG wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:06 pm I don't use Album Artists, so the field is null.
Album artist is needed if you want that MM handle Albums correctly. There is no way that MM knows correct album info in case album artist info is Null. It was like that for past 15+ years eg. if you have known name of an album then Album artist must exist as Albums have album artists unles sthey are compilation in which case Album Artist is Various.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MPG

Post by MPG »

I think that is unrealistic....with a collection of over 500,000 songs, it's hard enough keeping the artist and album fields populated correctly...having to also keep Album Artist correct is damn near impossible. for a long time, I was just copying Artist to Album Artist, but that was duplicate of information and a waste of time, so I removed the values in the field. I'll be honest....this is a very poor design by MM making it very frustrating!

One last thing to add...my album art is embedded into the songs...why doesn't/can't MMA just grab the album art from the song? Why does it have to be an external file?
TIA
MPG
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Check the sync settings for your device, you can disable that automatic generated "albumart.jpg"
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey wouldn't know if files with the same Album name belong to the same Album or different Albums without additional information. This additional information is the Album Artist. Artist can't be used as tracks on an Album may have differing Artists.

As MMA uses Artwork per Album, and you've not included Album Artist all files belong to the same Album as seen by MediaMonkey.

Note that MediaMonkey can help tagging Album Artist: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ist_Albums
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Maybe you could change the path settings in the device profile, to generate some unique names per album. Something like music\{year}-{Artist}-{Album} as path.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView