Essential Now Playing (MM to OBS/txt file) alternative?

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Furexus

Essential Now Playing (MM to OBS/txt file) alternative?

Post by Furexus »

Hey everybody,

I use MM for my complete music library, including my own songs and PD/CC0 songs that I play in the background when streaming on twitch.
Currently I use the Essential Now Playing plugin (can't post links here, but you can search in google and find it on github) for saving Artist and Title out of media monkey in a txt file, which I then import in OBS, so far so easy. It works for some time but after a certain time, the plugin just writes "Media Monkey not open" in the txt file. I could restart the program (non-MM side, separate exe) and it continues to work until it fails again.

Development for the plugin has stopped in 2017 and the spiritual successor (Universal Now Playing) doesn't support Media Monkey. I tried to contact the developer with a request to re-add MM support, but so far no success. I highly doubt that the project is still developed as the last github commit was done 2 years ago.

So I guess my best bet is to find something else that just reliably saves $Artist - $Title in an txt file, I could work with that and set up the OBS integration on my own. Is there any other way besides the plugin I mentioned to do that? I just want something reliable and want to continue to use MM. If there is another way to setup a now playing connection between MM and OBS I would gladly take that too.

Thanks!
drakinite

Re: Essential Now Playing (MM to OBS/txt file) alternative?

Post by drakinite »

You're in luck. I actually wrote an addon for a friend about a year ago which does just that: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprqIxNKQCbrK464fB8Mg

There was someone on the forum who was working on something that not only outputs the track summary, but also outputs the album art to a file. I don't recall who it was, unfortunately.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Furexus

Post by Furexus »

omg, drakinite! That is so, so cool! Thanks so much for sharing this! :D

Really appreciate the help!
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

No problem, glad to help!
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Reservoir Dogz

Post by Reservoir Dogz »

Yeah Gday.

Links not available anymore..

I used to use Snip in MM V4 but it doesnt work in V5...

Looking for new program to do this to text and obs.
thanks
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Sorry, I thought I made sure all my OneDrive links on the forum were still working when I was deleting/moving files in my OneDrive a few weeks ago. This one must have slipped through the cracks.

This link should work. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprqIxNkbm ... w?e=ygdDfJ Let me know if the addon doesn't still work with the most recent version of MM5; I haven't tested it in a while.