Randomizing playlist does not shuffle all tracks in list [#18961 #18988]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Randomizing playlist does not shuffle all tracks in list [#18961 #18988]

Post by Zonky »

Hi!

I noticed that randomizing a playlist does not shuffle all tracks within this playlist, but only those from the position I've set focus on.

Pls see this short video I've recorded to demonstrate. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae95tg7zqa26l ... 5.wmv?dl=0

I've a playlist open and using the context menu item "Randomize List". You will notice that the this function does only shuffle those tracks below the entry #683 and never those above this position.

I'm repeating this step various times but still only those tracks below #683 get shuffled. All other tracks keep their position which can bee seen when looking at tracks #678 to #682 in this vid. (And of course all tracks from #1 to #678 are sticking to their position either).

Using MMW, 5.0.3.2603.
Lowlander

Re: Randomizing playlist does not shuffle all tracks in list

Post by Lowlander »

Ludek

Re: Randomizing playlist does not shuffle all tracks in list [#18961]

Post by Ludek »

Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Not the best decision in my opinion, because it does probably confuse people, including me.

Of course, I could first select item #1 of the playlist, but this is not always the case at least not when playback already started and MM jumps forward itself.

In the vid, I did not select this entry myself. It's where I've left playback the last time and restarted MM and tried to shuffle.

So, if the selection marker was firstly set by me, I could live with this behaviour, but in this particular case, it was MM that made the selection.

Perhaps a point to fine tune MM?
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Additional information: as already mentioned, selecting the first track in the playlist and randomizing the playlist, results in, the first track itself will never be touched and sorted into any random position.

This means the first track itself is stuck to position #1for ever.

IMO, the whole process should be reworked, e.g. remove the useless limitation of having to select a track from where the randomizing begins.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

"By Design" seems to be a very unsatisfactory explanation for something so obscure. As a user, I would never guess this is what would happen until I see or someone points out that it is not working as expected.

If it is a feature, it should be clear somehow when I perform the function - ie the command should read "Randomize remainder of now playing" so I know what will happen.

The effect is even weirder if the "now playing" was in shuffle mode.

I also think this option should be available for user crested playlists themselves. I was just looking and can't find anywhere, so pls let me know if I am missing something!! However, for Playlists, randomize should do the entire list including the first track, regardless of where the selection is. It seems most unlikely to me that anyone would want to randomize only part of a playlist, and if they did, it might just as easily want to be the top half.

For now playing, I can see a use case for the current effect, so there should be two options for this.

- "Randomize entire list."
- "Randomize from current track down" or "Randomize remainder of now playing"

ps Further to randomizing the playlist itself, why I would want that??? Well, I would like to be able to play one of my playlists in random order, and then maybe play something else, and then maybe come back to that same playlist, and start over roughly where I was, without hearing all the stuff again I already heard.

So this ties in with my request for a marker of where I was at. Or the option to save a queue with state of play independent of the original playlist.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I have re-opened the issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16061 for re-evaluation
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Hi!

It appears that this issue is not yet solved in 5.0.4.2690. To be fair, this is mentioned in the ticket for release 5.1.

Feature request:
OTH, why is "Randomize List" only available in this context menu
and not when focusing on the playlist itself?
"Remove duplicates" is available in both context menus...

Edit: Just noticed there is an add-on for this task from @drakinite: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... laylist-1/

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Tiis has been already changed/fixed for version 5.1 : https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18988 , but a test build isn't available yet.
Zonky

Re: Randomizing playlist does not shuffle all tracks in list [#18961 #18988]

Post by Zonky »

Thank you for this news!