Setting columns and view permanently?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

terrypin

Setting columns and view permanently?

Post by terrypin »

There's plainly a setting somewhere that I've not unearthed. Viewing one node, I arranged columns with 'Choose Columns', and also set the View menu (enabling only 'Show Details'). How do I retain these settings across all nodes and for all sessions of MM4 please?
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
terrypin

Re: Setting columns and view permanently?

Post by terrypin »

Should I conclude that it's not possible? IOW, that both the View and Column settings must be manually specified for each node in the tree?
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Terry,

Right click the node / Options / Edit Collection then in the Collection Options select columns.

Customisation of "Collections" and "Views" of those collections may be a Gold feature.

I think it works be providing a standard "view" and then you can change this to be more specific for a particular collection.
For example:
1). My Collection for 2022 Music might order by the Added Date to show the most recent additions at the top.
2). "No Lyrics and Played Recently" would show the last column as lyrics and perhaps sorted by last played
3). "Low Bit Rate" would show the list sorted by bit rate and have a criterium to exclude anything over 128 kbps

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Ian, but it seems that you're confirming the settings must be made for each node then.

For example, changing the node 'Entire Library' did not affect columns in any other node. Nor using the View menu as I said.

I do have Gold, as per my sig.

It's no big problem, I can just set each node and then don't expect to have to change it much. Just thought there would be a sort of 'global' setting.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello Terry,

Basically, the views are set up via the menu: "View" in MM4.

Details
Album covers
Album covers & details
Album art browser & details

When I click on a specific playlist in the "Playlist" node, I use the "Details" view.
When I click on "Album" node, I use the "Album Art & details" view

Unfortunately you MUST ALWAYS change the view manually in the "View" menu.
EDIT: You MUST restart MM4 after EACH time you change a view.
The change is first written to MediaMonkey.ini when MM4 is exited.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

terrypin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:01 am Thanks Ian, but it seems that you're confirming the settings must be made for each node then.

For example, changing the node 'Entire Library' did not affect columns in any other node. Nor using the View menu as I said.

I do have Gold, as per my sig.

It's no big problem, I can just set each node and then don't expect to have to change it much. Just thought there would be a sort of 'global' setting.
Hi Terry,

Essentially yes, but consider user defined "Collections" to extend the range of views.

Also MMW4 Collections seem to "import" well into MMW5.
Ian Taylor
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

We are here in the MM4 forum.
Is it about MM5? Did I misunderstand something?
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 am We are here in the MM4 forum.
I don't believe so Erwin. I posted about MM4 in the MM4 forum. Maybe Ian mentioned MM5 only to make the point that any work I might do on Collections in MM4 could be used in MM5 if I switch to that version.

--------------------

There are various points puzzling me about Collections.
I'm assembling various large 'sets' of tracks (for later transfer to a micro-SD card). Collections seemed a possible tool to use. But am I right that they can only be defined via the criteria? Not the reverse, by assembling tracks from wherever and then defining that as say collection 'Set #3'? After all, if I delete an entry ("Library only") from a collection, the next time I run MM4 that track gets restored to the collection, consistent with its specfied criteria.

Therefore I think I will have to use the more intuitive method of working (selecting, tagging, sorting, etc) in MM4, and then just copy or move the chosen tracks to physical folders, like 'D:\Music\microSD-plans\Set#3\.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Collections are Criteria based. You can however use Custom fields to filter out files that match a Collection Criteria. So add notCollection to Custom 1 and in the Collection Criteria set Custom1 not doesn't equal notCollection.

Playlists are used for file based lists where you manually add selected files. These however will loose files when they're removed from the Library and scanned back in later.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Lowlander, I'll try those suggestions.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

terrypin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:57 am
Erwin Hanzl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 am We are here in the MM4 forum.
I don't believe so Erwin. I posted about MM4 in the MM4 forum. Maybe Ian mentioned MM5 only to make the point that any work I might do on Collections in MM4 could be used in MM5 if I switch to that version.

--------------------

There are various points puzzling me about Collections.
I'm assembling various large 'sets' of tracks (for later transfer to a micro-SD card). Collections seemed a possible tool to use. But am I right that they can only be defined via the criteria? Not the reverse, by assembling tracks from wherever and then defining that as say collection 'Set #3'? After all, if I delete an entry ("Library only") from a collection, the next time I run MM4 that track gets restored to the collection, consistent with its specfied criteria.

Therefore I think I will have to use the more intuitive method of working (selecting, tagging, sorting, etc) in MM4, and then just copy or move the chosen tracks to physical folders, like 'D:\Music\microSD-plans\Set#3\.
Hi Terry, correct about reference to MMW5.

Trying to understand your use case.

If your micro SD card in an Android device, then Playlists are another option to consider. I "sync" my SD Cards for Android devices exclusively with Playlists.

In my case I typically have top levels folder on the SD card for the type of media - Audiobooks / Music / Playlists / Podcasts etc.

Music is organised with an Artist sub-folder and then Album folders beneath this. For example:
\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By - Extraspat 1995
\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By - Ohne Filter 1989
\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By - Ohne Filter 2000

Then the "Set" Playlist can refer to multiple artists / albums:

Jeff Healey Band - As The Years Go Passing By 2013.m3u contain lines like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:280, The Jeff Healey Band - I'm Torn Down
..\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By\Ohne Filter 1989\I'm Torn Down.mp3
#EXTINF:203, The Jeff Healey Band - Confidence Man
..\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By\Ohne Filter 2000\Confidence Man.mp3
#EXTINF:514, The Jeff Healey Band - How Blue Can You Get
..\Music\The Jeff Healey Band\As the Years Go Passing By\Extraspat 1995\How Blue Can You Get.mp3

Also if a particular file is referred to from multiple Playlists, then it only has to be stored once on the SD card. For example, I create a Playlist for the month's downloads e.g. $$$April2022. Sometimes, I might have a "Collection" on display then right click send to a new Playlist. You can then leave the "Collection" alone but remove (or add) tracks to the Playlist, randomise the
Playlist etc.

Maybe some of this might be of interest for your use case?

You touched on the importance of tagging etc. Absolutely correct. MMW4 add-ons can be of great help e.g. Magic Nodes / RegExpReplace / Tagging Inconsistencies to name a few.
Ian Taylor
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Ian, very helpful.

As you're curious about my use case, and it might provide useful context for further questions...
An electronics hobbyist, the 'music box' below was a major project, finished with hours to spare for my wife's Christmas present. But populating its ROM of a mere 128 MB with 220 edited music tracks from my library was easy. For her (very imminent!) birthday I'm frantically trying to extend that to 32 GB (some 5,000 tracks), using a micro-SD card module. To supplement my own music I've (secretly) ripped 80 of her CDs. My library was already in a neglected shape, so I'm now struggling to get that hugely extended repertoire onto the card, with logical access to its 'collections' But, crucially, using the existing buttons, switches and panel labelling. While still slowly re-learning so much of MM4. I'm not a programmer, but have yet to write and test the new code for the Arduino micro controller. In a nutshell: I'm running out of time :-?

MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Terry,

Interesting project.

Took a 8 GB Sony M2 card and placed in its USB carrier and put into PC. Should be the same for a micro SD in the adapter.

Device showed up in MMW4 so set a "sync" profile based on just 4 Playlists.

Sync files to set to \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc#><Track#:2>-<Title>

Started sync of 703 files and went to command prompt and did a DIR /W /S.

Results are something like this after a couple of minutes "synching":

Code: Select all

[MediaMonkey] [Music]
[.]            [..]           [Al Green]     [Alice Merton] [Beth Hart]
 Directory of M:\Music\Al Green
[.]                   [..]                  [Let's Stay Together]
 Directory of M:\Music\Al Green\Let's Stay Together
[.]                                       [..]
folder.jpg                                101-Let's Stay Together.mp3
102-La-La For You.mp3                     103-So You're Leaving.mp3
104-What Is This Feeling.mp3              105-Old Time Lovin'.mp3
106-I've Never Found A Girl.mp3           107-How Can You Mend A Broken Heart.mp3
108-Judy.mp3                              109-It Ain't No Fun To Me.mp3
 Directory of M:\Music\Alice Merton
[.]    [..]   [Mint]
 Directory of M:\Music\Alice Merton\Mint
[.]                             [..]                            folder.jpg
101-Learn To Live.mp3           102-2 Kids.mp3                  103-No Roots.mp3
104-Funny Business.mp3          105-Homesick.mp3                106-Lash Out.mp3
107-Speak Your Mind.mp3         108-I Don't Hold A Grudge.mp3   109-Honeymoon Heartbreak.mp3
110-Trouble In Paradise.mp3     111-Why So Serious.mp3
 Directory of M:\Music\Beth Hart
[.]                         [..]                        [A Tribute To Led Zeppelin]
 Directory of M:\Music\Beth Hart\A Tribute To Led Zeppelin
[.]                             [..]                            folder.jpg
101-Whole Lotta Love.mp3        102-Kashmir.mp3                 103-Stairway To Heaven.mp3
104-The Crunge.mp3              105-Dancing Days (Pt. 1).mp3    106-When The Levee Breaks.mp3
107-Dancing Days (Pt. 2).mp3    108-Black DOG.mp3
I guess you might need to adjust the "sync to" settings to suit what can be read. I know my wife's car stereo does not like too many folders / sub-folders.

Does this come closer to meeting your project needs?
Ian Taylor
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Many thanks Ian. Yes, that looks a promising angle. I'll need to do some reading and experiment a bit, as I have never used MM4's syncing. I have a sinking feeling I might screw things up :wink:
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)