bkenobi69

MMA + Bluetooth stutter then stop playing

Post by bkenobi69 »

Samsung Galaxy A10E
Android 11
MMA 1.4.5.0960 Pro license
Bose QC35ii headset
Log ID: 7Z33U6V3XE

I've been using MMA since it was early beta and have been very happy with it overall. I was originally using Bose in-ear wired headset but the cord eventually frayed too much to use. I am currently using Bose Quiet Comfort 35ii headset in BT mode and it was working as expected until recently. I haven't used the setup as much since I now work from home, but when I do it's not working correctly.

When I launch MMA and select a song to play, everything is great. If I leave the screen on, it seems to work fine. When I turn the screen off, it fairly consistently plays for around 1 minute. Then, it cuts out 2-3 times and eventually stops playing with the BT disconnect sound. If I turn the screen on, MMA is no longer in the lock screen. This does not seem to be a problem with my truck's UConnect BT connection as it just works as normal.

I can plug the QC35ii in with the cable and with the screen off the playback seems to work correctly. Of course, then I no longer have a wireless headset nor does the noise canceling feature work. I can use the same headset with my laptop to watch streams indefinitely without issue so I don't believe this is headset related. The Android update pushed early last year (~April 2021) caused me a lot of issues with the OS preventing apps from working in the background so I suspect this could be related (I still can't get my favorite alarm clock app to work despite all the tweaks). I found a lot of questions about BT related to cars but this didn't seem to relate hence the new thread.
bkenobi69

Re: MMA + Bluetooth stutter then stop playing

Post by bkenobi69 »

Perhaps a better description of what I'm seeing/hearing is that the playback will be fine for some period of time (10-60 seconds) and then several times in a row the audio will pause several times in a row (2-5 times typically). Usually the playback will stop after the 1st set of pauses but others it will continue. If that happens, it will play for a while then the pause cycle starts again. My current session has had the screen off for around 4 minutes and it has had a pause session 3 times and didn't die. I'll upload this log as well for comparison.

Log ID: G2N6H4AALB
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Samsung is very strict and pushes battery policy a lot. I tried this on my Moto X4 and played for 4h various music, skipped, paused, ... using both phone (MMA) and hardware keys on phone or headset. Only difference is taht Headset was Moto Pulse.

Only thing I noticed that Pulse puts itself to sleep after 30 seconds on silence.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

So does that mean similar to Huawei i am not going to be able to use MMA anymore? Its worked great for years on this phone. It even works great with BT on my truck. Its only when using BT headset that i have a problem after that update.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thre must be a new setting on Samsung that can allow MMA to work correctly in background.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I'm not sure what to try. I've turned off all the optimization settings but it still breaks. Any suggestions?
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

After complaining about battery settings to my wife this morning, she reminded me that I did have issues with MMA in the truck last year when I drove across the country. If MMA is running in foreground all is good. If the app is in background (navigation in foreground), audio issues happen periodically eventually killing music.

I found 2 solutions but they are both annoying.
1) make the navigation app hover over MMA
2) split screen

Effectively my workaround was to force both apps into the foreground. But that only works if I dont touch anything. If i need to use the map for more than a small image and voice, its a pain to use. If i need a 3rd app (e.g., gas buddy) then it takes a few seconds of interaction to get it back to what i want. My wife is on iOS so its not intuitive so if i was driving, id have to make sure it was set after each stop or live without music/nav for the next leg.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I've been doing some reading this morning and it sounds a lot like Android or most likely a Samsung custom setting are causing issues. One comment on the github for the dontkillmyapp project suggests the necessity to add a partial wakelock to make things work reliably. Not sure if thats already being done in MMA but since that was a suggestion i figured I'd post it.

https://github.com/urbandroid-team/dont ... -999033191
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have read that and liek they posted somehow they manage to workaround manual or even app settings.

Thank you for Split screen I would have not thought about it, great catch.

For my car (and 15+ more) I have found that buying good Chinese aftermarket HeadUnit works best and do not kill MMA. There are few manufacturers that make good MTCD/E headunits and XDA Forum support them quite nicely.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I may have to replace the head unit due to other issues (Uconnect is garbage as far as i can see). That doesnt help overall though as i have issues using MMA with bluetooth for other things too (headset etc). Wondering if there's any hope MMA could be fixed somehow.
Peke

Post by Peke »

bkenobi69 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 pm I may have to replace the head unit due to other issues (Uconnect is garbage as far as i can see). That doesnt help overall though as i have issues using MMA with bluetooth for other things too (headset etc).
Let me know make, model and year of the car/truck and if possible simple dashboard picture with current head unit and I can try to find you suitable one. Note good ones are not teh cheapest ones.
bkenobi69 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 pm Wondering if there's any hope MMA could be fixed somehow.
We both hope, but manufacturers do not make things easy. The best would be that we can replicate the issue.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I'll get details of the head unit including a picture. 2016 Ram 3500 with 8.4" display including Nav. The head unit doesnt always turn on immediately and i also have the "911" error. Wish i knew to push harder on the dealership since its been an issue before out of warranty.

I posted a couple logs but this replicates every time with the headset. I think it happens with the truck too but if it would help i can try to replicate and submit logs.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is strange because I can't replicate on any of my device (I do not have Samsung).

Re RAM Headunit: I checked and Prices are from 700-950USD depending on what you really want and what type of device you want Usually PX6 (6core+4GB RAM+64GB eMMC) and on Android 9 (Personally I think it is one most stable version for headunits). I know it is not cheap, but should be worth paying for it. Only thing you need to pay attention to is to be as specific as possible (many many pictures sent to them including connections and all info you have on actual device like about screens, ...) and what they send you is in 95% plug and play.
Which one is yours?

I have Both MMA and Android Auto installed on my head unit and it works perfectly. Mine is on Android 8.1 (BT module is too old and do not support Android 9) and I bought it 2016.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Middle picture with larger screen and dual zone climate control.

$950 is spendy for aftermarket but thats what the dealer charges for a used uconnect unit that will likely have the same faults again. With a bezel modification apparently the new head units can be installed but thats eve more expensive and you end up in the same proprietary situation.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

FWIW, i went through all the setting tweaks on dontkillmyapp.com and i already had the appropriate settings enabled. I dont see anything else i can do currently.

I have 4 devices i can connect my phone to for testing if that would help. Options available are:
1) Bose QC35ii headset (already submitted)
2) 8.4AN Uconnect head unit
3) Furrion DV3100 head unit
4) Onkyo A/V stereo

I'll try to get these all run this evening if the logs would be helpful.