Issue sorting playlists [#19085]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

FidoCat

Issue sorting playlists [#19085]

Post by FidoCat »

My playlists are permanently sorted in a pseudo-random order. Customer order, basically. I need for them to be sorted by specific fields. I can do this manually while I'm viewing a particular playlist by right-clicking a column and clicking Choose columns/sort, then removing and adding sort keys at the top of the dialog. The problem is MediaMonkey defaults to "#". And when I customize the order, it forgets what I specifiy. So when I click on another playlist the sorting order I specified is gone forever and I need to start all over again.

Is this a known bug? How can the sorting order be specified once (permanently) and have it automatically apply that to each playlist every time it's viewed?
- Fidocat
Lowlander

Re: Issue sorting playlists

Post by Lowlander »

Sorting doesn't change the order on a Playlist till the new order is saved.
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

The documentation says, "use the Save new order button above the Filelisting to change the order in which files are stored on the Playlist to match the new sort". Unfortunately, it appears that MediaMonkey has no such "Save New Order" button.
- Fidocat
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When you change sort on static playlist you will have this button.

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

Thanks, Peke. Just to clarify, as I mentioned the "Save New Order" icon is never displayed after sorting. Otherwise I wouldn't have made this post, of course. I'm using the latest MediaMonkey, version (5.0.2.2532).

- Fidocat
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure you're sorting a Playlist and not an AutoPlaylist? For AutoPlaylists the sorting is set in its Criteria.
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

Yes I'm sure. I've never used Autoplaylists.
- Fidocat
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

Is there a way to directly access the MediaMonkey bug database so problems like this can be reported to the team?
- Fidocat
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Why do users with old MM5 versions keep asking for solutions that have already been solved in the beta versions?

You can find the link to the latest beta version in my signature.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Because some or many people think Beta versions are dangerous to their computer and to their collections, and probably require much testing and little actual productive use.

I think 5.02 was really a wide public beta, as so many things were not yet working right.

We are only now approaching a somewhat more solid version. But that is typical and maybe unavoidable for complex software these days
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I just checked with 5.0.3 and it immediately shows the Save button after you sort the Playlist.

Not sure why it doesn't for you, but if it still happens on 5.0.3 for you when you feel comfortable, please report back.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@MM developer
Take away the fear of beta versions from users.

@Users
Before updating to the next beta version, back up your database FILE> Manage Database.
Create a signature with your current software version - this saves annoying queries again and again.

@Rob_S
Testing? That's what users do like you or me.
Fidocat is testing an old MM5 version - pointless.

Regards
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

I'm already a beta tester. I thought this version was the latest beta but apparently I was wrong.
- Fidocat
FidoCat

Post by FidoCat »

I updated to 5.0.3.2625 but unfortunately I still get the symptom. Strange the sorting function would be placed in the unrelated Choose Columns dialog. And it doesn't contain a feature to permanently apply the new sorted order to the playlist. It seems like MM needs a dedicated sorting dialog with this feature.
- Fidocat
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the problem in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643 You may also want to offer your database file.

This will help a developer analyze why this occurs on your setup.