Autocomplete of field contents no longer happens?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Erwin Hanzl

Re: Autocomplete of field contents no longer happens?

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

MM 5.0.4.2657 Alpha

@Barry
Check yout setting of the IncludeBetaBuilds option at Tools>Options
This only applies to BETA versions. Alpha versions are not considered.
Use the link in my signature.

@Peke
couldn't you also include "Include Aplha-Version"?

P.S.: It is incomprehensible to me why so many users resist alpha and beta versions.
In these versions, many bugs have already been fixed that were still present in the "last official version".
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

In most other software, using alpha or beta versions you are often at greater risk of losing hours of work due to a sudden crash, or to a corrupted file saved over your work. Or worse yet, an alpha version might corrupt the rest of your computer in some way.

In theory, by the time it hits "Release" such bugs would have been discovered and fixed.

In mediamonkey, which is more of an indexing device than a "do work and save it" kind of application, such risk is lower.

Still, if you have worked for some time sorting and refining your playlists, and your database becomes corrupted before another backup, this work is lost. With all of the interactions with drivers and devices, it is certainly possible that something else could be corrupted.

I have yet to see any reports of actual damage by MM betas to track files due to the tagging process, or music files lost in any way, or or any damage to other parts of the OS

Still, I can see how some might have an ingrained reluctance to try untested or "less tested" software on their computers.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

You have expressed your opinion on this several times.
And still you are using 5.0.4.2655 BETA.

I can further counter this:
Before I install an update, I copy:
%appdata% Folder : MediaMonkey 5 AND
C:\Program Files (x86) Folder: MediaMonkey 5
and also the folder where the music files are located to an external SSD drive.
And if something negative happens, I copy all three folders back.

I have already told you this several times.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You have me mixed up with someone else, I don't recall expounding on the subject of Beta or Alpha versions before.

As you have noted, I do quite happily use those, and like yourself, I keep extensive backups of whatever is important to me, on several computers and multiple portable hard-drives, some of which are stored in another building.

I am also an active beta tester of Designcad, and use beta versions of Seamonkey for my internet.

I was speaking strictly of why some people might feel that way, and I think it is important to understand their situation as well, and accommodate as much as possible.

As a suggestion along these lines, if a bug is found in a release version of a fairly basic feature such as double click from file explorer, or autofill dropdowns, it might be wise to release an updated 5.03.xx?? with just those bugs fixed, while continuing with alpha and beta releases of 5.04
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You are both right, Alpha/Beta versions for us especially for 5.0.x iterations are smaller and focused on stability, usability and tweaking existing features, less on new features, 5.x.0 versions are for new features minor changes in functions and expansions of features.

In MM most major features are tested and fixed in x.0.0 versions so risk of library data loss should be minimal.

Also MM5 as talked recently have Library backup feature. that will save only file really important and that is MM5.DB as UI, settings, masks, skins, columns, ... can be recreated and set again, but library can't and it is easy to loose 20 years of stats/playlists/... unless there is backup.

Alpha versions are versions that like pointed can crash, have playback issues, UI artifacts, .... but with sub build versions updates usually there is no risk of data loss. MM for years do not delete files before it ensures all is written correctly (therefor use .XXXXXX temp files). NOTE there is always chance fir something that we missed for years, but that also exist in previous version, but not so obvious or it surfaced with even small new feature that was not available before.

Let me give an example on 5.0.4 Alphas that is taking bit longer to go to Beta is that this time is Vocation time and we are at limited resources so slower on responding on reports and fixes. You can see that when there is a regression we sometimes release two builds a week, but sometimes every two/three weeks even teher are several internal test builds that did not passed our internal smoke tests.

Hope I cleared some things.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:32 am
Not all fields have auto-complete. Is just those tags which have a down arrow. What happens if you press one of the down arrows?

What version are you running (see via Help>About)
MM5 default is not to show you beta versions, so maybe you are not on the latest.

Check yout setting of the IncludeBetaBuilds option at Tools>Options
Barry, I don't want to install Beta builds, cos they tend to be unstable and full of bugs.
The most recent stable build for Windows is 5.0.3.2627, which is what I'm running.

All the fields that have auto-complete work OK individually in the list view if I click the individual field, I get the down arrow and autocomplete works fine.
But none of those fields do autocomplete any more if I right-click and bring up Properties: auto complete no longer works in the Properties dialog.
(Unless I'm missing something, you can only bulk-edit for multiple tracks at once in the Properties dialog. So this is quite a big loss of functionality for me )
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:38 am P.S.: It is incomprehensible to me why so many users resist alpha and beta versions.
This is probably the 3rd silliest thing I have read on the Internet all week :lol:
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Guys,
I started this thread to report buggy behaviour I'm experiencing after installing the latest stable release,
and confirm whether it is a bug at all, or just a change in functionality.

So far nobody's really confirmed if it's a reproducible bug or not. Although I guess it must be a bug, because neither is anyone telling me that the auto-complete functionality has been deliberately removed from the Properties dialog.
Peke

Post by Peke »

feline1 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:32 pm So far nobody's really confirmed if it's a reproducible bug or not. Although I guess it must be a bug, because neither is anyone telling me that the auto-complete functionality has been deliberately removed from the Properties dialog.
It works for me and nothing is removed.
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem is that it's not reproducible.

You could try attaching a debug log (step 4b) to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

It may show why it doesn't work in your setup.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

IMAGE 1)
Content OLD: Artist = Mike Bauhaus
Properties: Artist= Mike Bauhaus
Autocomplete can't suggest anything because "Mike Bauhaus" is the full artist name.

Inhalt ALT: Artist = Mike Bauhaus
Properties: Artist= Mike Bauhaus
Autocomplete kann NICHTS vorschlagen, da „Mike Bauhaus“ der komplette Artistname vorhanden ist.

IMAGE 2)
Content OLD: Artist=empty
I click in the field and start typing in the artist - suggestions come up. What's your problem now?
This is exactly how it works with properties.

Inhalt ALT: Artist=leer
Ich klicke in das Feld und beginne den Artist einzugeben – es kommen Vorschläge. Was ist jetzt Ihr Problem?
Genau so funktioniert es auch über Eigenschaften.

@feline1
Summary: the greatest danger for computers and software is about 60 cm in front of the screen. :lol:
Zusammenfassung: die größte Gefahr für Computer und Software sitzt ca. 60 cm vor dem Bildschirm.

@Rob_S
You have me mixed up with someone else,
Sorry, I was wrong there. It was someone else.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 am IMAGE 1)
That is normal designed behavior as you entered properties clicked on Down Arrow and it lists all artists. If you edit Test eg. delete s on the end "Mike Bauhau" it will show Auto-Complete suggestions.
NOTE if that is not made like that tehn to get full list of Artists you would need to delete whole Artist field, that is not right.
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 am
@feline1
Summary: the greatest danger for computers and software is about 60 cm in front of the screen. :lol:
Zusammenfassung: die größte Gefahr für Computer und Software sitzt ca. 60 cm vor dem Bildschirm.

Erwin,
I have been successfully using MediaMonkey for Windows pretty much every day since (I think) 2015.

Since the latest update, autocomplete is no longer working for me in the File Properties window. I have not changed the way I'm using the software.
if I start typing in a field, no suggestions are offered. If I click the drop-down arrow at the right side of the field, nothing opens.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@feline1

Sorry, but You are using the majer update 5.0.3.2627/25. May 2022
Timo_Bell works with 5.0.4.2657/16.Jul 2022 Alpha Portable: everything OK
I have documented - everything works for me too - MM 5.0.4.2657/16.Jul 2022 Alpha standard installation
Peke+Lowlander: Can't understand the error either

The bug has been fixed with version 5.0.4.2653/18.Jun 2022 Alpha.

However, since you are against using the latest alpha version, unfortunately you have to wait until the next majer update.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:49 pm Peke+Lowlander: Can't understand the error either
We also both use 2657
Best regards,
Peke