Auto sync / updating MM Playlists with itunes & Android via Syncthing

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

marcreck

Auto sync / updating MM Playlists with itunes & Android via Syncthing

Post by marcreck »

Hi folks
I'm looking to move my complex system of smart playlists over in the most effective way possible from Itunes to MM - and manage my music in MM which i keep coming back to & use for my sample & spoken library. I used itunes because it syncs with the two DJ software i use Rekordbox & Traktor so can just drag the updated playlists inside those apps when djing or prepping for a performance.

I think i'll have to recreate all of the smart playlists but if anyone can suggest a more useful starting place to essentially recreate the same system that would be much appreciated.

When its all in MM, i then want to use MM's export playlists folder to export selected playlists to one folder which i hope could then be dragged into itunes - so i can still use that to update Rekordbox easily.

I also want to export all playlists into another folder, and use syncthing - which monitors folders on both windows & android - to copy the playlists (& music files) to the s21 (when i work out how to get it connected :)

My question is how to get the file pathways to be recognised on the android - if this is even possible? Maybe by naming my folder structure accordingly on the new phone? I've tried MM sync a lot in the past & do have a gold versions of both - but haven't had much success with version 4 & the sync, so think a more folder based approach - will be a lot more straightforward. (I also dont have a wifi & use my phone tethering to connect my windows laptop to the internet)

Any insight is much appreciated.
Lowlander

Re: Auto sync / updating MM Playlists with itunes & Android via Syncthing

Post by Lowlander »

Smart Playlists can't be imported as AutoPlaylists. You'll need to recreate, as best as you can, the Criteria in AutoPlaylists to get the same result as the Smart Playlists.

AutoPlaylists themselves can be exported as regular Playlists (not as AutoPlaylists). You can also setup Sync to a location on your PC, or use Auto-Organize Files set to Copy.

As for the phone, it's easiest to Sync from MediaMonkey to it.
marcreck

Post by marcreck »

Brilliant - thanks Lowlander - will have to get started with it - all the harmonic mixing playlists will take hours i fear to recreate :)

Re phone sync my tests copying over m3u and files have only been partially successful, and not sure why yet but the exported 3mu from itunes it seems to show as playlist with the tracks linked in my android player (musicolet), but not when i use an MM playlist - i'll fathom it with more looking no doubt and If i can get the usb sync to connect & be stable - i'd very happily just use mm for sync. I upgraded to 5 hoping it would have sorted a lot of the usb sync issues i was having with mm4, but havent got it to connect at all yet :) Alos haven't found any ways to update the paths on android if i do it manually, but i could export as folders & use that feature until it resolves. Thanks again for your reply
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

USB Sync generally has problems with the MTP drivers from the manufacturer, so unfortunately MediaMonkey can't fix that, but you may be able to solve that: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ync-fails/
marcreck

Post by marcreck »

Thanks Lowlander -MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) - was the thing i was looking for, but i assume on the s21 they just changed it to 'transferring files / android auto' and means im sadly stuck at the getting it seen by MM - but support ticket is there re the other post and can try sync once MM5 can see the device

If anyone has workflows for playlists being exported from windows to android do let me know as i can see using the export all playlists in mm being a nice workaround
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You want to use Sync instead. It Syncs your media files and the Playlists as well. No messing with paths.
marcreck

Post by marcreck »

Sadly I don't have that option Lowlander hence request. Will see if anything resolves with support tho.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can USB Sync, wifi Sync is not required. Generally USB Sync works, even if you run into the frozen issue: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ync-fails/
marcreck

Post by marcreck »

Phone not being recognised tho on MM as per my other post - https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ead#unread - have tried those suggestions but no joy so far - so will update post if support team find solution