Is there a way to rescan/re-set all default album art?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Is there a way to rescan/re-set all default album art?

Post by 1337haXXor »

I finally went through and got some of my missing artwork for albums. I manually downloaded/scanned personal, high quality versions for hours and added the artwork directly into the album folders. In my settings, I have "Update tags when editing properties" checked and the Artwork settings set to "save image to file folder." Yet the updated/new artwork isn't showing up in my library. Right clicking the album (or each track in the album) shows that the artwork is indeed there, and if I click the "Apply to all selected," then it updates, but is there a way to just do that for everything in the library?

Also the naming of the album art isn't working, I think. I have the image filename set as simply "<Album>" but it's naming them all the entire directory name up to that album. So instead of "Cold Spring Harbor," the artwork is now called "M--Music-Billy Joel-1971-11-01 - Cold Spring Harbor-cover.png" instead of just "cover.png," as I added it to the folder. So it's renaming the file the directory path AND it's not even renaming it, it's just added it to the beginning of the original filename?

EDIT: I don't understand this at all. Last time I did this was probably MM4, but I thought I just added artwork to the folder and it showed. And when there were multiple files, I could just move the "cover" to the top of the list and that's what showed. Now moving any artwork renames that one, plus it's not updating in the Grid (By Album) view, now? Like I just moved the cover to the top of the list, and in the Preview pane, it's the correct cover art, but on the cover in the Grid view, it's still the old one.

EDIT2: Okay, so for the last part, all that weirdness only happens when attempting to edit the artwork in Grid (By Album) view. So that's.. solved? I don't know why all that is happening. I also noticed another issue now, somewhat related. Over the years I've been working on changing my albums "date" tag to "YYYY-MM-DD" from just "YYYY." After that, I auto-re-organize the music, because my folder structure is: Music/Artist/Year-Album. When I do that, MM properly moves the artwork to the new folder, but keeps a bunch of dead artwork tags on each file pointing to the old location. So I now have thousands and thousands of empty artwork tags pointing to old folders? Okay, so a TL:DR-

1 - Is there a way to batch update "default" artwork when it's all saved to files?

2 - Why does the Grid (By Album) view not display changes to the artwork that are indeed displayed properly in the Preview pane? I've tried restarting MM and doing a full database rebuild/optimize. And why does editing artwork (applying changes or simply moving the order) not work in that view the same way it does in the list view?

3 - Moving a folder (and artwork files) should remove the tag to the old location of the artwork. And consequently, is there any way to batch remove dead artwork links/tags?
Lowlander

Re: Is there a way to rescan/re-set all default album art?

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?

1) If you add Artwork files to Album folders outside of MediaMonkey you'll need to rescan to have this picked up by MediaMonkey (with the option to scan file directories for Artwork enabled).

2) Preview shows for selected file, grid shows an Artwork per Album. Thus make sure that the whole Album (as seen by MediaMonkey) has the updated Artwork. Deleting the Artwork caches where the MediaMonkey Temp folder is (set under Tools > Options > General) may help resolve this.

3) True, if the Artwork in the folder has been associated with the files in MediaMonkey. Also make sure you use Album folders as this works best.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

I'm on the newest build, 5.0.4.2653.

1 - Rescanning does seem to add them to the "Artwork" tab in properties, but it doesn't change around the default one if I'd done that separately already. Previously, it would default to the "cover" art, so I went through a few albums with ~10 artworks, and named the cover "cover," but it still is picking up the previous "main" one as the default.

Specifically, Graceland. I have all the booklet scans named Graceland_[#], and the cover recently renamed to "cover.jpg." The cover used to be named Graceland_9, as it was the last one. I did a rescan, and even though it now recognized the cover as "Image type: Cover (front)," it's still listed at the bottom, even though it's not there anymore, even alphabetically, AND it's still keeping Graceland_1 (the back cover) as the default art.

2 - Oh, I'm responding as I'm reading. I'll try that.

3 - A good chunk of my library uses a "SCANS" folder, I thought I'd had problems with that before. Is SCANS an acceptable name, and how does MM determine the default cover in the case of a folder? The first one alphabetically? If one is called "cover" does that take precedence? And previously I'd keep a SCANS folder and a smaller-sized "cover" file in the album folder (not the scans folder), is this redundant?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) If you already have Artwork associated it's expected that this will be maintained.

3) Are you saying you have a Scans folder inside the Album folder and that this isn't picked up?
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

1 - I do, but how would I batch resort the artwork order, so the top (default) one is the cover? I thought renaming the artwork to cover would get it to be picked up as the Front Cover now (which it does), but then also set that one as the main default artwork. Would I have to manually move all my covers up the list of all my albums?

2 - Deleted the artwork cache, the cover renaming issue is still happening, but only at certain times. When in list view, it seems fine. I highlight an album, go to the artwork tab, and move the cover up, boom. But if I do it on my playlist that I have in the Grid Album view, it's about 50/50. Half the time it works as expected, half the times it deletes the "cover" file or the <Album>_# name I have for it and renames it to that weird, whole directory+[original file name] name.

3 - I've been avoiding this for... a while. So I haven't tested a bunch with SCANS folders, for this one I'm just curious what the expected behavior is. Can the folder be named anything? Which picture does it set as the default, the first one in the list? And does a picture named "cover" take precedence? I wouldn't mind going through my folders and changing everything to the Artwork Folder method, but I just want to know how it works specifically.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) No, there is no method to do this automatically in MediaMonkey.

2) Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

3) You don't need a separate folder for Artwork. As long as the Artwork is in the Album folder and only files for that Album are in the folder it should work.