Playlist overlay on playlist image [#19236]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

Playlist overlay on playlist image [#19236]

Post by ed.j »

Referring to the transparent overlay that appears on the top left of the image you choose for a playlist, either in the Info panel or in the Grid (playlists) element.

Please can they be removed? They are ugly and don't actually do anything. And in the grid view the overlays are HUGE!
ed.j

Re: Playlist overlay on playlist image

Post by ed.j »

I would also propose for the default image (in the Info panel) to be hidden if a custom image hasn't been chosen, and for the height of the panel to reduce significantly to the minimum height required (ie to just see the name of the playlist and the small icons).

A lot of wasted space in there.
Snofru

Re: [REQ] Playlist overlay on playlist image

Post by Snofru »

I agree to both: The overlay is superfluous and saving space is always good!
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I guess that by the overlay you mean this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c466fjkd3hqid ... 5.png?dl=0
?

I don't find it huge and the playlist image in the 'Info panel' view element is already smaller than e.g. for album/artist
In the grids it helps to distinguish which item it is , e.g. on my screenshot above in the Pinned items -- whether it is auto-playlist , playlist or folder. And in the playlist grids whether it is playlist or auto-playlist.

But maybe we could add a new option to disable the overlay altogether (if it really bothers you so much) although I am not a fan of too many options, so another alternative would be an addon disabling the overlay.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I agree that the overlay is useful to distinguish between playlists and auto-playlist, but I think that issue depends on the size of the Playlist image: with small image sizes, the overlay is relatively small and inobtrusive, but as the image size is configured larger and larger, the overlay size scales equally and is unnecessarily large at larger image sizes.

As to the image size in the 'info panel', I think that the issue is that the image causes a lot of wasted space, especially in cases where it's just a massive icon (no artwork) that causes 3 rows of the playlist to be lost. In other info panel views (such as Artist/Album/Genre) this isn't usually an issue because the space is used to communicate text about the Artist/Album/Genre, but for playlists, the space is wasted. So shrinking the image for playlist info panels could solve that.

-Rusty
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

It really is oversized. In the below screenshot the overlays are massive (using default size settings). Don't judge the flags, went on bit of a spree recently!!!

Regarding whether or not it's useful to see what type of playlist/folder it is - I totally disagree, I don't think I have ever referred there to check this out.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That was missing piece. I was able to replicate Overlay too big when changing Image size to 200% from 100%.

Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19236

NOTE: You have 1440p screen and as you can see in bug overlay on actual playlist is normal and correct, but on images of subplaylists are oversized. If you find any other Grid view also observing such behavior write here.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts