People who have massive collections

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

rad1964

People who have massive collections

Post by rad1964 »

I think I am approaching massive, but have no ones collection to compare with my collection... just curious if people are experiencing any sort of performance issues or issues on accessing the player from another location.

Currently I have 87,000+/- mp3's all on a slim drive attached via USB3 to my windows 10 PC.

Tonight I noticed when I clicked on an mp3 to play from my download folder, media monkey would play, immediately a different song on in my playlist cue instead of the downloaded song.

Thanks
rad164
Peke

Re: People who have massive collections

Post by Peke »

Hi,
rad1964 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:13 am Currently I have 87,000+/- mp3's all on a slim drive attached via USB3 to my windows 10 PC.
Personally I think that this is a mistake as USB drives have high rate of failing as even a 1cm fall can make it unusable and also those enclosures are not thermally secured so controller electronics can easily die. That said I know it is not cheap, but anyone that have 50k+ of important music (especially if they ripped it them self from Audio CDs) and invested time into this should consider some sort of more static storage option (Not cloud. Remember how people used GPM and lost up to 50k of music when they closed the service) with if possible redundant backup (eg. respectable NAS solution with RAID1) to be 90% sure everything can be restore in case of accident (I had misfortune with my last of HDDs not backed up and paid 600 USD for data restore).
rad1964 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:13 am I think I am approaching massive, but have no ones collection to compare with my collection... just curious if people are experiencing any sort of performance issues or issues on accessing the player from another location.
Sorry for big introduction, I have 200k of tracks collected over 30 years of music, MM library is 18 Years old and contain all the playlist and playing stats over the years and I have no such issues.
rad1964 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:13 am Tonight I noticed when I clicked on an mp3 to play from my download folder, media monkey would play, immediately a different song on in my playlist cue instead of the downloaded song.
How you manage downloaded songs, I have dedicated folder on HDD where I I put new music before I correct and confirm metadata and before I move them to resting place on NAS for my archive. What Track properties of played show and do those taht do not play are getting grayed out?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

I don't have a collection that big in files, mine my be 25,000 tracks, but it is all uncompressed flac, so storage wise it takes about 1 TB of space. for external storage I use USB 3.1 Drives (they are faster). I like the Samsung T5 and T7 external SSD Drives. I also have some traditional seagate external hard drives, but the music I listen to lives on my laptop with multiple nvme SSD drives which are like 100 times faster.

The computer could also be the issue. Does it have an i3, i5, i7 or i9, or AMD processor? how much ram do you have and how much of it is used?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That issue has been fixed in the latest alpha of MediaMonkey 5.0.4. On 5.0.3 playing from File Explorer will instead restart the last played song in MediaMonkey.
rad1964

Post by rad1964 »

That issue has been fixed in the latest alpha of MediaMonkey 5.0.4. On 5.0.3 playing from File Explorer will instead restart the last played song in MediaMonkey.
That's awesome! Thanks Lowlander

My previous computer (and also normally), I run the main library on a SSD and a duplicate on a rugged drive for quick undocking and bringing to another location. This new computer (unfortunately) followed up a rack mount computer buy for my musical gear, so I did not have the money to do what I normally do.

I run an AMD processor Ryzen 5 3600Mhz 6 core currently and most of the time my 32gb of memory is running at 20.3gb available memory. And all my usual programs are running like Photoshop, Media Monkey, Dreamweaver, Forte Agent and several Chrome windows and a folder or 3.

My main drive only has 1/2 of the compacity left, to hold the collection. The inside chassis is packed full so no more room to add an internal drive.

Rad1964
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
HMMM, rackmount I always wanted to make 3U/4U rackmount silent PC with remote Keyboard and Mouse, but never had time to put an effort in building one (for past 25+ years I build my PCs)

A Question: Do you have any 3.5" drives, or maybe you have 5.25" bay with DVD/BD burner?

Asking because if money is not too big issue (which depends on your current HDD setup) I have converted bunch limited space PCs to Graphic Workstations with lots of space and 15-30% speed increase.

FYI You are doing good thing keeping MM library on fastest drive, it speed things70%+ on loading, searching, ...

EDIT: Hmmm, 12GB RAM utilization is little bit high unless you have some jobs loaded in Memory (have seen PS eat 30GB of RAM).
Best regards,
Peke
frankenpod

Post by frankenpod »

I think I have about 100,000+ tracks, and for the most part MM works fine...with the exception of reverse-lookup of playlists. If I right-click on a track and let the mouse stray over the 'playlist' entry (that is supposed to let you select from a drop-down menu of all the playlists this track appears in) MM completely freezes up. I think it used to freeze for a while and then eventually do what it's supposed to do, but these days I have to alt-cntrl-del and kill MM to get out of it. It might be the number of playlists that is the problem rather than the number of tracks, but for whatever reason that reverse-playlist-lookup thing does not work any more for me.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
frankenpod wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:45 pm If I right-click on a track and let the mouse stray over the 'playlist' entry (that is supposed to let you select from a drop-down menu of all the playlists this track appears in) MM completely freezes up.
What version of MM5 you use, when I try this I have loading... prompt till list is populated, no freeze.
Best regards,
Peke
oldgymnast

Post by oldgymnast »

My "All Tracks" totals 331,191 in a Shared Music folder totaling a little over 3.5 TB on a 18 TB drive. That folder is mirrored on a few other 18 TB drives on both a 8 port QNAP as well as a multiport Workstation computer.

I've been doing this for a while :)

The only issue I've ever had with MM was just recently where the Artist, Title, Album etc. section started going black after scrolling through a search result and I'd have to start that search again. All I did was reinstall the newest update and now my happy time is back.
oldgymnast

Post by oldgymnast »

frankenpod wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:45 pm I think I have about 100,000+ tracks, and for the most part MM works fine...with the exception of reverse-lookup of playlists. If I right-click on a track and let the mouse stray over the 'playlist' entry (that is supposed to let you select from a drop-down menu of all the playlists this track appears in) MM completely freezes up. I think it used to freeze for a while and then eventually do what it's supposed to do, but these days I have to alt-cntrl-del and kill MM to get out of it. It might be the number of playlists that is the problem rather than the number of tracks, but for whatever reason that reverse-playlist-lookup thing does not work any more for me.
wait a minute. how do you get that thing to pull up? is it the "find more from same" flyout or another area? not that it would be of a huge help to me as my playlists are very specific "Cool 70s" "Cool 80s" "Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti" etc. but it would be nice to use once in a while.

as you might have seen in this thread, i have over 331K thingys :)
rad1964

Post by rad1964 »

Peke,
My task manager shows chrome being the greediest memory eater... I do have 18 tabs open... And funny enough I picked up a separate 4U rackmount computer from Sweetwater Music - here: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/cr ... resources/ - for my music gear, 3 months before getting this PC, so I definitely favored that one (moneywise) .
I do have an old Thermaltake Armor full case just begging to get a rebuild! 10 external 5.25" drive bays, two external and six internal 3.5” drive bays!

oldgymnyst, very impressive collection! 331k! If I ever get that many, it's good to know theres very little to worry about. 18TB drives! do you ever get close to filling them? Do you find you get less performance if they are close to be being filled as opposed to half empty? Curious if there's a difference between the smaller and larger sized drives.

frankenpod, I am closing in on 100k glad to hear I can look forward to smooth sailing, as I only have 1-2 dozen play lists. And I do have a 70's Various Artists entry :D And a separate one for Mr. Frank Zappa :p
Last edited by rad1964 on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

snowleopard wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:43 amuncompressed flac,
??
there is no such thing sir or madam
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

To date, I have 107,985 files in my MM5 Library, mostly FLAC. I have CD hard copy for the overwhelming majority. It'll go over 108k when I get Elton John's new archival release on Friday. I had a devil of a time getting MM5 to work but for the time being everything is peachy. My issue is the same as it was for MM4. I'd rather not have my original WAV files showing in the library once I ripped them. I realize I don't have to make WAV copies then convert them to FLAC anymore, but I've found when you're ripping 20+ CDs or so, that extra step affords you to listen more quickly and I find it easier to edit the ID3 tag set at the point then convert to FLAC.
My workaround for it right now is to use MM4 or EAC for ripping but how long will that last. Are you even backing up MM4 at this point?
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
crawdad63 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:47 am To date, I have 107,985 files in my MM5 Library, mostly FLAC. I have CD hard copy for the overwhelming majority. It'll go over 108k when I get Elton John's new archival release on Friday. I had a devil of a time getting MM5 to work but for the time being everything is peachy. My issue is the same as it was for MM4. I'd rather not have my original WAV files showing in the library once I ripped them. I realize I don't have to make WAV copies then convert them to FLAC anymore, but I've found when you're ripping 20+ CDs or so, that extra step affords you to listen more quickly and I find it easier to edit the ID3 tag set at the point then convert to FLAC.
My workaround for it right now is to use MM4 or EAC for ripping but how long will that last. Are you even backing up MM4 at this point?
I ripped 6k+ CDs from y connection on A PC with 4 CD-Roms (You can now have 4 USB Drives externally from 10USD by DIY from older Laptops laying around easily).
Process was:
0. Install Clean MM5 portable (back then there was no portable so I needed to create double copy, a pain in ...) -> Use you license to register.
1. Insert 4 CDs in Drives
2. Use INS key to add them to MM library
3. Start RIP on 3 (Mask I used was "F:\!RIPPED CDs\<Album>\<Track#:2>. <Artist> - <Title>" -> FLAC -> NO Volume leveling
4. Eject 4th -> Inserted new CD -> Use INS key to add them to MM library -> Repeat till all 3 were ripped
5. Insert new 3 CDs -> Start RIP
6. Continue repeating Step 4, till I get bored (usually after 200-300 CDs)
7. repeat Step 5, till I get bored (usually after 100 CDs)
8. Make break
9. Repeat steps 5-8 till all CDs are done
10. Tell my normal MM5 install to scan "F:\!RIPPED CDs\"
11. End Result is that I have all CDs Ripped, prepared for Tags Management/Cleaning/Album Art search/... All along that I also have my Audio CD collection in MM library in Separate DB For Archival process.

It is pain in the ass till to get hold on, but after 500+ CDs you will be able to do it blindly ;)

EDIT: Using these steps you could RIP 200 CDs a day easily and once all your CDs are added to library you can RIP using all 4 CD drives.

HINT: Once CDs are in library you can edit Metadata in Library before tat CD comes to order for RIP, ANd In Music -> Location You can Rename Ripped CDs so that they to not get in line with non ripped CDs
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

rad1964 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:17 am I do have an old Thermaltake Armor full case just begging to get a rebuild! 10 external 5.25" drive bays, two external and six internal 3.5” drive bays!
Mine was very similar but with 4 drive (Limit at that time, unfortunately), Now you can easily Use 4 TB SSD and 6+ Drives without bottleneck your PC See My post above on steps to speed things I guess I would be able to rip 5k of CDs in a week (If someone pays me big to do that) as with 12/24 Core CPU this can be easily done.
Best regards,
Peke