All Rips suddenly creating FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

alarryaaron

All Rips suddenly creating FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX

Post by alarryaaron »

I'm having to post new issue because all issue matching anything like this topic date back to 2008-2012 and older, although one in 2021 was In German but I don't know that language.

I am using MM for Windows 4.1.31.1919. My PC runs Windows10 Pro, ver 21H1, Build 19043.1826

I've been ripping CDs for many years using MM and have never had an issue until now. My entire music library is stored in this MM, Ver 4 database.

I ripped several CDs yesterday and each one generated the correct FILENAME.MP3 file in the desired folder (is on an exterior USB drive). But it also created an additional FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX file in the same location as the needed MP3.

All the ripped MP3s play as expected, but I can't delete or rename those temp XXXXXX files. The only change I made this time to my ripping process setup screen was that I turned on "Verify Tracks." {BTW: I can't delete any of the regular MP3 files that are in this folder. Each folder made is "contaminated"/locked.

So I tried ripping yet another CD with VERIFY TRACKS shut off this time---the way I used to do it--- but this ALSO created the XXXXXX files along with the regular MP3s! {I was quite surprised. I thought I'd figured out the cause of the problem using the common question used by tech folks ask, "What changed?"} I couldn't rename or delete anything---same as stated above.

{BTW, this problem shows up immediately after the ripping process and has nothing to do with finding album cover photos, or lyrics, or other MM sub-operations that were reported by others in similar threads having XXXXXX files showing up after a rip yet many years ago.}

The problems caused by these XXXXXX files are multi-fold:
- These XXXXXX files are taking up an extra 500 MB of space
- I can't delete these files using Windows Explorer or Command Prompt as administrator (although my UserName, Larry, IS treated as an Admin role on the system). When I try to delete any XXXXXX file, I get a "permissions error" stating, "You require permission from LARRY-THINK\Larry to make changes to this file. {BTW: LARRY-THINK is the name of mt PC.} I even get that same permissions error after shutting off MediaMonkey and after rebooting the PC. I've also tried following some other Internet helps that said to try to reboot the PC into SafeMode, but I can't access my external USB drive (containing all my music files) when in Safe Mode, so can't try to delete files that way.
- When I add these all of the files in the folder into a ZIP file, the XXXXXX files can't be deleted from the ZIP file. As a matter of fact, I can't delete or rename that Zip file.
- Just for grins, I tried creating an additional zip file containing ONLY the good MP3s that are stored in the same folder that also contains the XXXXXX files. Windows created a zip file containing all of the MP3 files from that folder, however, the ZIP routine gave a filename using the LastSongNameOnTheList.ZIP. I couldn't even rename that ZIP file nor could I delete that ZIP file. Again, there are no XXXXXX files in this experimental ZIP file---only the good MP3s.
- I could probably live with all these TEMP XXXXXX files remaining on my system, but it is bothersome that it appears that unless we find a solution, I will accumulate a lot of wasted space on my external USB drive and will eventually run out of space (although have over 100 GB available right now)
Peke

Re: All Rips suddenly creating FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX

Post by Peke »

Hi,
FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX are Temp files and you can find them only if MM was not correctly saved FILENAME.MP3 or it was blocked to delete FILENAME.MP3.XXXXXX after successful RIP.

I would suggest that you do not RIP to External Drive, but to Local folder and then use Auto Organize to move them to External drive.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
alarryaaron

Post by alarryaaron »

Tx for the suggestion.

But I don't understand; I've been ripping to that same external drive for 15-20 years using MM all that time and I have NEVER had this problem before.

What has changed in the MM software that all of a sudden:
1) it is creating these temp files and
20 that I'm having to rip to a Local folder and then use Auto Organize to move them to External drive
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
1. MM do not have control over file access, to be sure why it is happening please follow steps to create DEBUG LOG

2. It is just suggestion, but it should work as like you said past 15+ years. This way you most likely ensure no .XXXXXX are left non deleted after RIP.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
alarryaaron

Post by alarryaaron »

By the way, I found a way to delete all those temp files noted as .MP3.XXXXXX. This has been an issue noted in several posts but I'll only post here.

This method 2 from https://www.diskpart.com/articles/canno ... 310.html#2 worked for all of XXXXXX files caused by MediaMonkey rips to my external USB drive. It involves changing permissions via the affected file/folders Security Tab in Windows Explorer:

1. Locate the file or folder going to be deleted, right-click it and choose Properties on the pop-up menu.
2. In the appearing window, click Security and Edit.
3. Permission for xxx (xxx is the name of the file or folder that needs deleting) dialogue will prompt. Click the Add button to enter the Select Users or Group screen.
4. Add a user named “Authenticated User” and click “OK” button to continue.
5. You’ll go to Permission window, give full control and click “OK” and “Continue”.

Now, you have the full control for the file or folder and you can choose to delete it.