Fresh Download "could not start: port 17939 is already in use"

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tomjonze

Fresh Download "could not start: port 17939 is already in use"

Post by tomjonze »

Just as the title says, this is a new computer to me with a completely new and fresh install of MediaMonkey 5 (Gold edition.) Yet when I try to download and add something like the 3D viewer, or dig too deep generally tinkering with the features, it stops me and says "media server 'MediaMonkey library' could not start: port 17939 is already in use. Check whether another instance of Mediamonkey or change the port# in Options > Media Sharing."

What does this mean and how do I fix it? I mean I get change the port number but what is the port number and what is changing it doing? How do I make sure I'm changing to the right port number?
Barry4679

Re: Fresh Download "could not start: port 17939 is already in use"

Post by Barry4679 »

tomjonze wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:54 pm What does this mean and how do I fix it? I mean I get change the port number but what is the port number and what is changing it doing? How do I make sure I'm changing to the right port number?
I am not going to say too much, because it would be pretty much a case of the blind leading the blind. :)

A "port" is just a named (numbered actually) access tunnel into your computer, so that other computer-like devices can talk to your computer.

MM allows you open a "port" so that you can share your MediaMonkey database to other devices. ... eg. browse, using your TV, the media files that are known to MediaMonkey running on your PC.

If you don't want to do this kind of thing, go to Tools Options>Library>MediaSharing in MM5 .. then Disable the Server Name that you will see listed there ... that will make the "problem" go away.

If you want to be able to browse your MediaMonkey database from other devices, then the problem is that your PC has two applications trying to use the same port (17939 in your case).

First thing to try: Is MM4 also running on your new computer? I am guessing that it will be. If so, that will be the conflicting application. Go to MM4 and disable Media Sharing there, as described above.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

No, MediaMonkey is only running with MM5, I downloaded it myself fresh. Is there a way to search what is using which ports actively?
Or what ports are available so I could correctly choose another port?

I am considering turning it off as you pointed out because I mostly stream OUT, from my computer to my stereo. Not using it as a database to be perused by other sources. Though I have considered looking into those options so that's why I'm wondering if i can search for an available port to use instead.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Just an update but I have a support ticket going that might answer all of this. That is if I managed to do the Debug correctly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can ignore this error (if you're not going to use DLNA). It generally means that another instance of MediaMonkey is still running. See Task Manager to see if this is true. If you can reproduce MediaMonkey not closing when you close it, a debug log (step 4b) will be helpful: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tomjonze wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:55 pm I'm wondering if i can search for an available port to use instead.
  • press the Windows key
  • type "command" without the quotes
  • you show see Command Prompt ... select option to Open as Administrator
  • type "netstat -ab" without quotes
  • you will get a long list ...if you scroll down far enough your will see MediaMonkey and the port it is using ... actually it has many ports open
However it is just simpler to try adding 1 to the port that it is already using. and try that.
If you are bored while waiting on them to do something with your Support Ticket, you could try this.

If you see that "site can't be reached" message you have found an unused port .... the great majority of ports will be available

Try changing to this new port number, then restart MM5
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:13 pm
  • press the Windows key
  • type "command" without the quotes
  • you show see Command Prompt ... select option to Open as Administrator
  • type "netstat -ab" without quotes
  • you will get a long list ...if you scroll down far enough your will see MediaMonkey and the port it is using ... actually it has many ports open
However it is just simpler to try adding 1 to the port that it is already using. and try that.
If you are bored while waiting on them to do something with your Support Ticket, you could try this.

If you see that "site can't be reached" message you have found an unused port .... the great majority of ports will be available

Try changing to this new port number, then restart MM5
Thank you for the fun exercise. I learnt something today. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. It continues to think that there's two instances of MediaMonkey on the computer. I am trying the old fashion uninstall/reinstall. Crossing fingers that it works.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

I closed and restarted handful of times after uninstalling and reinstalling and so far the issue hasn't popped up. we might be fixeraroonie-ed.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tomjonze wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:23 pm I closed and restarted handful of times after uninstalling and reinstalling and so far the issue hasn't popped up. we might be fixeraroonie-ed.
They have had s couple attempts to stomp out a problem where MM5 doesn't close completely when it has struck a problem.
The problem seems to go away, and then comes back.

If you strike a problem like this again, you can check is any part of MM is still running line like this:
  • press the Windows key, and type command
  • select Command Prompt, and press Enter key to run it
  • type powershell, and press enter
  • type get-process mediam*, and press enter
  • in this image you can see that I did it once when MediaMonkey was not running ... it game me an empty response
  • I then started MM5, and typed get-process mediam* again ... this time I go a list of active MediaMonkey processes
If you get a similar problem again, and MM processes are running when they should not be, you can fix by rebooting your PC.
There are other ways to force close MM5 remnants, but this is the simplest.

It should be rare that MM crashes, leaving parts of itself still running.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

i wish i could personally hi-five you for your support and vids/clips/photos for assisting me. Thank you from the bottom of my dark black heart.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Barry, just out of curiosity, why would you not use task manager to check for and kill any remaining mediamonkey processes?

Right-click on taskbar, pick task manager.

Sort by name, look down the list of background processes, select and end-task to any mediamonkey....(s)

Sure beats a restart for anyone still using an HDD instead of an SSD :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:01 am Barry, just out of curiosity, why would you not use task manager to check for and kill any remaining mediamonkey processes?
Right-click on taskbar, pick task manager.
Sort by name, look down the list of background processes, select and end-task to any mediamonkey....(s)
Sure beats a restart for anyone still using an HDD instead of an SSD :)
Hi Rob,
What I suggested was just easier to explain. Less to do, and gives a simple, already packaged, yes|no answer.

For myself I would do exactly what you described.
I would also kill off any leftover processes, rather than reboot. I have done that 100's of times during MM5 alpha and beta phases.

But I would hesitate to recommend it anyone else, because there is probably a small to minuscule chance that it would result in database corruption in some circumstances ... not that I have ever experienced that.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Same issue popped up today: with the new port change listed as the blocked port.

So to recap: uninstall reinstall didn't fix the issue or changing the port.