How can I prevent ripped cds from being added to my library automatically?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

hypercube42

How can I prevent ripped cds from being added to my library automatically?

Post by hypercube42 »

I prefer to rip them to a separate folder, make any minor tag changes if necessary, then add them to my primary music folder, where I will then add them to my library.
Peke

Re: How can I prevent ripped cds from being added to my library automatically?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No need to do that try this:
1. Make sure that you know full path of your RIP folder eg. c:\!My RIPS
2. Edit Music Collection and in Criteria add "PATH -> DOESN't CONTAIN -> [c:\!My RIPS\]"
3. Create new collection, Name it "!MY RIPS" and in Criteria delete all and then just add "PATH -> CONTAIN -> [c:\!My RIPS\]"

Now you have both.

Second Solution: Install another MM5 as Portable and then use that version to RIP CDs
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
hypercube42

Post by hypercube42 »

Perfect, thank you
Peke

Post by Peke »

hypercube42 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 pm Perfect, thank you
Just curious, which one was perfect?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi Hypercube42,
there is another workflow using what is already baked into MM. That is to use the Location node.
See here.
  • I have opened Music>Location
  • MM5 is showing me that I have music in two locations; the one on the F drive is where I rip to, and the Network drive is my NAS where my collection is stored ... so clicking one of these will filter the display to newly ripped tracks, which haven't yet been added to your main collection
  • hint: the Location has some special View Elements that can be used to tailor the display to how you want it ... these View Elements only become available once you have descended below the top level of a location, ie. one level below that shown in my 1st illustration
  • hint: the control that can be seen in the first illustration (next to the Funnel on the Toolbar) is a toggle control that can be used to flatten out the folder structure, ie. it can travel down the folder tree, from wherever you have navigated to, and display everything that it sees
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
hypercube42

Post by hypercube42 »

Peke wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 pm
hypercube42 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 pm Perfect, thank you
Just curious, which one was perfect?
Sorry just saw this

Excluding the rip folder from the Music collection worked for me

Thanks again
hypercube42

Post by hypercube42 »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:27 am Hi Hypercube42,
there is another workflow using what is already baked into MM. That is to use the Location node.
See here.
  • I have opened Music>Location
  • MM5 is showing me that I have music in two locations; the one on the F drive is where I rip to, and the Network drive is my NAS where my collection is stored ... so clicking one of these will filter the display to newly ripped tracks, which haven't yet been added to your main collection
  • hint: the Location has some special View Elements that can be used to tailor the display to how you want it ... these View Elements only become available once you have descended below the top level of a location, ie. one level below that shown in my 1st illustration
  • hint: the control that can be seen in the first illustration (next to the Funnel on the Toolbar) is a toggle control that can be used to flatten out the folder structure, ie. it can travel down the folder tree, from wherever you have navigated to, and display everything that it sees
This is helpful as well, thank you. I've been using MM for years but feel like I've only scratched the surface of all the settings and tucked-away buttons that can be used to customize the experience.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

hypercube42 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:37 am I've been using MM for years but feel like I've only scratched the surface of all the settings and tucked-away buttons that can be used to customize the experience.
Yes, I have been using MM for years also, but only understood it at any depth during the beta testing project leading up to the release of MM5, which required some pocking around behind the curtain, and in the dark & dusty corners.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

Peke wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:41 pm Hi,
No need to do that try this:
1. Make sure that you know full path of your RIP folder eg. c:\!My RIPS
2. Edit Music Collection and in Criteria add "PATH -> DOESN't CONTAIN -> [c:\!My RIPS\]"
3. Create new collection, Name it "!MY RIPS" and in Criteria delete all and then just add "PATH -> CONTAIN -> [c:\!My RIPS\]"

Now you have both.

Second Solution: Install another MM5 as Portable and then use that version to RIP CDs
I still can't figure that out. What I do is use MM4 to rip. Once I get the files in the proper place, I add the files to MM5's library.
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton