Corrupted database

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: Corrupted database

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:20 pm This does not explain why OP can't find any backups existing? Is it because his files are on the NAS?
I am expecting it is because MM5 defaults to having no backups. The user needs to know that it is there, that it is not in the place they probably expected (Tools>Options), and that they are exposed to loss (play counts & playlists) if they don't turn it on.
Compounded by the fact that the Getting Started material is really poor, and is not in your face when getting started.
Peke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:30 pm Yes there is a name for such person, serious collector and DJ (for me better to say ex-DJ).
touche. Acknowledged, but then ... isn't denial at the core of every Hoarder. :D

I notice that you sidestepped the main point. ie whether a minimal backup scheme should be defaulted to on.
I think that Ventis is letting their customers down by having it default to off.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:10 pm touche. Acknowledged, but then ... isn't denial at the core of every Hoarder.
I would not expect anything less from you. :roll: :D :lol:
Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:10 pm I notice that you sidestepped the main point. ie whether a minimal backup scheme should be defaulted to on.
I think that Ventis is letting their customers down by having it default to off.
It is up to a debate there is extensive bug scheduled for MM 5.1 https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16176 Feel free to add what you think we are missing?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:18 am It is up to a debate there is extensive bug scheduled for MM 5.1 https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16176 Feel free to add what you think we are missing?
You need to unlock that issue ... Access Denied
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Peke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:22 am Hmmm, Not sure I would like as my Library is 1.4GB :)
Then you probably have the hard drive capacity that 1 or 2 automatic backups wouldn't matter... :wink:
Peke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:22 am I still prefer Manual backup, whenever I want.
Sometimes you NEED a backup without knowing about it beforehand, and having an automatically generated one then seems a lot better then just learning about this feature in THAT moment.

I agree with Barry, enabling database backup for a few copies by default makes sense. :wink:
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Peke

Post by Peke »

Andre_H wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 am Then you probably have the hard drive capacity that 1 or 2 automatic backups wouldn't matter...
I do, but as my Backup location is on NAS, which even wired takes too much.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:10 am
Peke wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:18 am It is up to a debate there is extensive bug scheduled for MM 5.1 https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16176 Feel free to add what you think we are missing?
You need to unlock that issue ... Access Denied
Sorry, Corrected.
Best regards,
Peke