big syncing, many crash, woe :(

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

big syncing, many crash, woe :(

Post by feline1 »

Folks, I have been using Media Monkey for Windows since about 2015,
my library continues to grow :evil:

Currently I am on MM 5.0.3.2627 on Windows 11 64 bit, with a rather ageing Sony Walkman NW-ZX100 with a 1TB microSD card in it. The ZX100 only has USB2,0 and my library is currently 722 GB (over 30,000 tracks)

I don't know if it is Windows 11's USB drivers, MMW5 being buggy, the 1TB SD card getting in a error-strewn mess, or just too damn many tunes.... but increasingly I find myself getting into a situation when my Walkman just will not sync any more, and I have to reformat the SD card and sync the whole library all over again.
It NEVER will sync in one go, the process is typically taking the best part of a week. The sync will proceed for a few hours and then MMW5 will throw and error. And Windows will often tell me the SD card now has errors and want to run scandisk on it.

Usually with several days' patience, I get there in the end, but this time it has gotten into an unsyncable state twice now when the library was only about 75% transferred, and I'm back to square one :(

In particular, in the page in MMW for the device, the bar chart showing the contents now has 700GB as 'audio' and another block the same size as 'Other', so MMW thinks there isn't enough space to sync any more. (And it just hangs on 'Scanning...') when I click Sync Now. It looks like some kind of 'cache is full of junk' type problem, causing MMW to think there is stuff on the SD card that isn't there.

Are there any tips for making this process behave better?
It's getting to the point where I'm thinking I need to buy an new Walkman with USB 3 connectivity, which would speed up the transfers by an order of magnitude... but that would be expensive :(

Another weird thing is that the error messages in MMW come up as blank dialog boxes. The names on the buttons on them appear when I move the mouse over them, but that's all... Then if I try to close MMW, it always tells me 'There are background processes running. Terminate them?' but that doesn't work and I need to use Windows Task Manager to kill it.
feline1

Re: big syncing, many crash, woe :(

Post by feline1 »

So there's no way to reset / clear the cache on a hardware device?
Surely MM must be storing the info on what it thinks is on the device in a file somewhere? Can't that file be wiped if it gets corrupted?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

This thread didn't get any replies last time...

Well, I am back with the same error again. If anyone has any tips, I would be much obliged.

Yet again, after a couple of months of behaving itself, I had an error message in MediaMonkey about a json lock file (? it left the screen before I could screenshot it), and now I am back in that state where I have a 1TB microSD card half full of music,
but MediaMonkey no longer recognises it as being a copy of my library (which is on my PC).
And it looks like the only workaround is gonna be to re-format the microSD card and spend several days trying to resync the entirely half a terabyte library all over again.

I'm strongly suspecting there's some kind of cache file that MediaMonkey is using to refer to my SDcard, that has gotten messed up. And if I could reset that, would return to happily resyncing my library again without me needing to wipe the card and start from scratch....? No?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I got that error again the sync log: 'Problem while copying file to \MedieaMonkey\meta_files\v3\sync_lock.json' :evil:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does that persist after a PC restart?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Yes
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd suggest trying MediaMonkey 5.0.4 beta (a new build will likely be released today) before any further troubleshooting and is includes bug fixes around Sync.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I already did, before I bumped the thread - it made no difference, I'm afraid :cry:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then please capture the Sync in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Now it's doing this (screenshot on GoogleDrive)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G1pwBL ... sp=sharing
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That doesn't seem to be publicly shared.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

It's set to 'anyone with the link' but this message board seems a bit oldskool.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Google link is still not valid, it is google error message, not this forum.
When I copy/Paste your link:

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G1pwBLAojYeqHntiNy865kMYOYr0aDSS/view?usp=sharing
I get no access rights.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Meh.
Well, MMW5's error dialogues don't have copy-and-pastable text in them,
and this message board doesn't allow us to paste or attach screenshots,
and this isn't 1998 any more so I don't have webspace with an ISP that I can upload graphics to and hyperlink them,
so if your board won't work with Google Drive I'm kinda beyond my patience for trying to show you the error by now :lol:
It's blethering on about the application threw an exception on 'FVisibleDescendentCount < 0 !!!'

I restarted MM in SafeMode and resumed by weekend chore of re-copying a 700GB library onto my SD card from scratch :lol:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Instructions on screenshots are provided, no personal webspace needed: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97733

You can also open a Support Ticket which does allow you to directly attach screenshots.