MM is unusable for the last 30 mins.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

railfan-eric

MM is unusable for the last 30 mins.

Post by railfan-eric »

For the last 30 mins it won't cooperate. i keep getting error messages. can't load or look at playlists or play anything. this problem has gotten more frequent the last few days.
can't figure out how to drag and drop the screenshots into the message. or upload it. one of the boxes is restart, restart in safe mode and continue.
the other one is about the port being in use. whatever that means.
I have to end task in the task manager many times but it never loads properly to where i can use anything. and it goes to fritz as soon as i move a album in a playlist.
Barry4679

Re: MM is unusable for the last 30 mins.

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi railfan-eric,

sounds frustrating.
  1. adding images to your posts here
    • Due to spam, and vandals without a life, they have rules here that make it not so easy to add an image here
  2. The message about the port being in use[
    • This is usually because you have MM5 and MM4 fighting over who should publish your media library on your home network
    • Fix this by
      • Go into either MM4 or MM5, and turn off Media Sharing.. Tools>Options>Library>MediaSharing ... uncheck Enabled, and press OK
      • or close MM4 before opening MM5
  3. "Restart" or "Restart in Safe Mode"
    • IMO they should remove these. They have never once worked for me. ... They are about as useful as sending a prayer to the Tooth Fairy.
  4. End the Task using the Task manager
    • sorry to report, but that's about as good as it gets when MM cracks ... which is quite rare BTW
  5. Failure when moving something to the playlist
    • if this still occurs when you have attended to the "port" issue, .. then you have an unusual situation that needs diagnosis
    • usually (almost always) MM5 detects that it has failed .. it submits an error report to the Developers, and gives you ID number that you need to quote to them, so they can assist you
    • if this doesn't happen, ie, you get no error incident ID, you probably need to follow this procedure
    • see item 4b .... there are a few steps to follow, and you need to download a small diagnostic tool first, so it can collect info for them
    • come back here if this needs to be done, and you have a problem doing what is asked
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you running and is this reproducible after a PC restart?
railfan-eric

Post by railfan-eric »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:50 am Hi railfan-eric,

sounds frustrating.
  1. adding images to your posts here
    • Due to spam, and vandals without a life, they have rules here that make it not so easy to add an image here
  2. The message about the port being in use[
    • This is usually because you have MM5 and MM4 fighting over who should publish your media library on your home network
    • Fix this by
      • Go into either MM4 or MM5, and turn off Media Sharing.. Tools>Options>Library>MediaSharing ... uncheck Enabled, and press OK
      • or close MM4 before opening MM5
  3. "Restart" or "Restart in Safe Mode"
    • IMO they should remove these. They have never once worked for me. ... They are about as useful as sending a prayer to the Tooth Fairy.
  4. End the Task using the Task manager
    • sorry to report, but that's about as good as it gets when MM cracks ... which is quite rare BTW
  5. Failure when moving something to the playlist
    • if this still occurs when you have attended to the "port" issue, .. then you have an unusual situation that needs diagnosis
    • usually (almost always) MM5 detects that it has failed .. it submits an error report to the Developers, and gives you ID number that you need to quote to them, so they can assist you
    • if this doesn't happen, ie, you get no error incident ID, you probably need to follow this procedure
    • see item 4b .... there are a few steps to follow, and you need to download a small diagnostic tool first, so it can collect info for them
    • come back here if this needs to be done, and you have a problem doing what is asked
I don't have MM4 or anything in the Media Sharing server when i looked. I never used it before.
railfan-eric

Post by railfan-eric »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:53 am Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you running and is this reproducible after a PC restart?
5.0.3.2627. I haven't restarted my computer yet. i was going to this afternoon but after leaving MM to it's own devices all night long it was back to normal and working fine when the screen came back on this morning. and i edited the playlist i have been trying to for an hour last night when it happened. works fine so far today.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Debug versions are known that make problems as Windows during Sleep kills debug process and MM can't restore correctly.

It is always advisable to close MM before sleep.

Unfortunately 5.0.4.2659 is only available as debug version at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d but it fixes several stability issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts